logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigreilly  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 7:24:06 AM(UTC)
craigreilly

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: craigreilly Go to Quoted Post

We got vMixBombed last week.
Middle of a presentation...

That is only possible if someone connected using a Call Password they already had access to.
So if you want to prevent this from happening make sure to use a new Call Password each time, go to Input Settings -> Change and replace
the input with a new call password that way.

Note this is not a security issue, as the password numbers are too large to be guessed accidentally.

was totally random
grantcoll  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 10:29:54 AM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Sorry to make the point again, but I think this is important. My concern is not about someone guessing your password number, it is about someone else in the whole world accidentally typing yours. To say this can't happen, is like saying you have never received a wrong number phone call. I think it would be fair to say we have all received a wrong number call at some time in our life.
grantcoll  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 10:33:39 AM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: craigreilly Go to Quoted Post

We got vMixBombed last week.
Middle of a presentation...

That is only possible if someone connected using a Call Password they already had access to.
So if you want to prevent this from happening make sure to use a new Call Password each time, go to Input Settings -> Change and replace
the input with a new call password that way.

Note this is not a security issue, as the password numbers are too large to be guessed accidentally.

With regards to " .. using a Call Password they already had access to." Doesn't everyone have access to every Call Password ?
mtone  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 4:12:39 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: grantcoll Go to Quoted Post
Sorry to make the point again, but I think this is important. My concern is not about someone guessing your password number, it is about someone else in the whole world accidentally typing yours. To say this can't happen, is like saying you have never received a wrong number phone call. I think it would be fair to say we have all received a wrong number call at some time in our life.

i cant say i know too much about the math behind it but based on a quick search it looks like a 10 digit number means 10 billion combinations..

ive got no idea how many people use vmix call but even if there were 50k a day that is a lot less than 10 billion and its not just about the amount of callers its the amount using the service at the exact same time and how many actually input a wrong number. when you factor all those things its going to be a very very low percentage..

on the flip side some numbers might be unavailable for a period and you also have to consider periods of years not just per day.. there are quite a few variables.. adding usernames would add extra security but the potential for a problem is possibly lower than some may think...