logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andypolinski  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 9:06:00 PM(UTC)
andypolinski

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Guys, I can't get any further. We have audio dropouts on the PC every 6-7 minutes. The problem occurs here a lot and I've tried a lot of the suggested solutions, but maybe I missed something. So I ask for help.

First of all our system:
-Gigabyte motherboard Z490 AORUS PRO AX
-be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro CPU cooler BK022 Top-Flow
-be quiet! PC power supply ATX 700W System Power 9 BN248
-Samsung MZ-V7E500BW 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe M.2 internal SSD
-Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16U4B 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, -Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 32GB (16GB x2), CL16
-Intel Core i7 10700K 8x 3.80GHz So.1200 WOF
-6GB Palit GeForce RTX 2060 Dual OC Active PCIe 3.0
-be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
-Blackmagic Design DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder

Our sound comes via Dante as a stereo mix from the SQ6 to the computer via a Dante Avio adapter (we also tried DVS without success, it's not Dante because it worked on a Dell computer without dropouts), we stream with vMix.

What we've tried:
-Disabled in BIOS C States
-Power plan set to high performance
-LatencyMon shows no problems with real time audio
-disabled power management for USB
-firewall has been disabled
-We laid XLR cables and tested it via an audio interface without success
- everything has been updated

Am I forgetting something?
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2021 3:44:33 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Audio dropouts are always a bit of a mystery, I even hear them on the Fun Live Show which is the Obsidian system.

The only realiable inteface that has given me zero droputs is the Scarlett 2i4 and above. Everything else, I get dropouts occasionally, a few on Dante VIA, lots of the Behringer umc404hd.
thickrichard  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2021 11:14:39 AM(UTC)
thickrichard

Make sure all your Windows audio device settings are set to 48000khz - I have had similar results when some of the I/O is inconsistantly set to 44.1 etc. vMix likes 48000/32bit floating
mtone  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2021 12:40:09 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: andypolinski Go to Quoted Post

What we've tried:
-Disabled in BIOS C States
-Power plan set to high performance
-LatencyMon shows no problems with real time audio
-disabled power management for USB
-firewall has been disabled
-We laid XLR cables and tested it via an audio interface without success
- everything has been updated

Am I forgetting something?

One thing to make sure is only have the DANTE driver selected in vMix and no other audio devices.. vMix allows multiple audio devices to be used concurrently and there is no digital clock source between them.. for instance you could use a USB audio interface alongside motherboard audio and yet the two have no sync reference.. this would likely create drop outs. i would assume if you have only one audio device selected this should take this out of the equation but its just a guess..

the other issue which the user cant do anything about but i suspect could be a cause of drop outs is 960 ASIO buffer that vMix uses.. this is non standard and im not sure why they insist on this setting ? ive not seen a single audio interface that allows manual selection of 960, nor have i see any other software which forces this setting.. there is a fair chance this has potential to cause problems with some drivers and its something that wouldnt be obvious or consistent...

if you look at DANTE DVS specs it suggests only 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048 are "allowed" buffer settings

https://dev.audinate.com...help/content/options.htm

I know this is talking about manual selection but even if you can force 960 it doesnt mean its going to play well depending on how the driver is written.. there are fairly frequent complaints about audio drop outs on here, it shouldnt be hard to add 1024 option which would remove this potential compatibility question..

if you are having no luck maybe email Audinate and ask them if 960 ASIO buffers might be a cause of problems ? the email support person may have a vague answer as they probably didnt write the driver to know the finer details but it could be worth asking..
JDroadie  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 2, 2021 5:19:24 AM(UTC)
JDroadie

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
SO, I found some audio dropouts recently and I traced it to Recording. I set the recording to new file (MP4) every 10 minutes,. as I was listening and switching, I noticed the drop outs... Upon further review after the show I heard the drop out everywhere VMix switched files. The video was OK, juts a dropped frame of audio. Yep its repeatable.
Buri  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 5:43:15 AM(UTC)
Buri

Slovakia

I can confirm. We have/had the same issue with Behringer UMC204HD and UMC404HD. Then we upgraded our main audio rack and mixer to DANTE and DANTE Virtual SoundCard - since then we had no dropouts. But now, when here is pandemic and limited movement in our country, we use UMC404HD in different city to send 4ch sound with image from camera operator to me over SRT (and then I'm processing sound over mixer via DANTE) and we have a looot of dropouts with those Behringer soundcards again. I thought this is caused because of unstable USB connection but I tested it on 4-5 different PC builds and there is always the same result.

Only in this single song (time selected) is at least 5-8 dropouts. (we have no clipping)
https://youtu.be/Utqu70SGnVM?t=2192

I didn't tested it in another software yet, I will do that in next weeks when I will have that soundcards with me physically but I found out on internet forums or vMix User Group on Facebook that in Audacity isn't this issue present. I'll post my results later to help identify source of this issue because we experienced this 2 years ago when we started to use vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked Buri for this useful post.
ben mendes on 1/14/2022(UTC)
Chap  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 2:27:17 AM(UTC)
Chap

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: andypolinski Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guys, I can't get any further. We have audio dropouts on the PC every 6-7 minutes. The problem occurs here a lot and I've tried a lot of the suggested solutions, but maybe I missed something. So I ask for help.

Having exact the same issue here.

https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t25183-Audio-dropouts-with-vMix-23

I hope the vMix team will dig in to this problem.
thanks 1 user thanked Chap for this useful post.
andypolinski on 4/12/2021(UTC)
andypolinski  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 5:29:06 PM(UTC)
andypolinski

Germany

Thanks for all of your help guys. The newest update from Vmix with the new audio gab handling function solved the problem for me. no more dropouts! Put it on resample and look: it works! 🎉 THANKS TO THE VMIX TEAM!!
thanks 1 user thanked andypolinski for this useful post.
Chap on 4/13/2021(UTC)