logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dist  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 12:33:44 AM(UTC)
Dist

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi, I know a lot of people here use Companion for controlling vMix with a Streamdeck, so I wanted to get some feedback/suggestions for an overhaul of the module that I'm currently working on as it is somewhat out of date currently. For Companion 2 this will be backwards compatible, there should not be any breaking changes to any existing buttons you have set up to work with vMix.

Here are some quick previews of what the version of will include:

Updated Preview/Program feedback, as well as a new feedback that displays time remaining on a video input (with options to change colour when less than 30s remaining, 10s remaining, or not change if set to loop)
Tally.png (25kb) downloaded 25 time(s).

Feedbacks and actions for mixes 2 to 4 that were added in vMix 23. One thing to note though is that mix 2 to 4 doesn't support CutDirect, so if you use the program buttons to do a hot take, the preview will follow to what the program was previously, unlike the main mix where you can CutDirect to any input and it wont change what is being previewed.
Mix.png (25kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

Feedback and actions for toggling vMix functionality, such as recording, external etc...
Status.png (23kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

Feedback and actions for input/bus muting and solo, and for input routing (bus routing has no feedback, for example the API has no way to show if Bus A to G is or isn't routed to Master, or another bus)
Audio Routing.png (23kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

Feedback for titles. This means you can easily see what a lower third, or any text will be, right on your Streamdeck. This also means you can use it for countdowns!
Titles.png (22kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

As well as what I've shown here, I've also added some more commonly used actions, an interactive cheat sheet that's a full list of functions/params so if a function isn't include in Companion you can quickly an easily copy/paste it as a custom command or HTTP request.

If anyone has any suggestions, feedback, or things they would like to see in this then please let me know, as depending on how the final few bits I'm working on goes, and testing, I plan for this to be pulled to Companion in the next few weeks.
thanks 4 users thanked Dist for this useful post.
dmwkr on 2/25/2020(UTC), stevespaw on 3/1/2020(UTC), TobinT on 4/28/2020(UTC), billh2020 on 8/26/2020(UTC)
cgarwood  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 29, 2020 1:16:36 AM(UTC)
cgarwood

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Looks great! Glad to see some additional features being added. Will definitely come in handy on my systems.
Dist  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 11:02:45 AM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

This revamp has now been pulled to Companion Core, so the latest version of Companion 2.0 will have this new vMix module!

Patch notes:

• Added support for using either input ID or Title and switching at any time
  • Added Tally update on first load
  • Added Tally polling through API
  • Added Support for Audio busses C to G, and Mix 2 to 4, from vMix v23
  • Added Feedback for Overlays, Replay, Input/Bus Mute, Solo, Routing, Title text (including countdowns)
  • Added action to set/increment/decrement Title text
  • Added more presets
  • Restructured module code, allowing for easier maintaining of code and future upgrades

Some cool things specifically worth mentioning is title feedback! This can be static text, text from a data source, a countdown etc... and there's even feedback for video input time remaining (accurate to the 100ms, how fast a StreamDeck can technically update the display limits frame or ms accuracy).

Also, one of the new actions is an add/subtract/set a title, which makes things like score graphics a million times simpler to update.

Feature requests for vMix
Through working on this module I've come up with a few feature requests for vMix as there are things I would love to make features here but the vMix API lacks the functionality:

CutDirect for mix 2 to 4 would allow the preview/program buttons for those mixes to match that of Mix 1. Currently for Mix 1 you can do hot takes and the preview remains unchanged, for mix 2 to 4 this is not possible, the preview will always follow program.

Audio Bus Routing, currently the API shows what audio busses each input goes to, but it's not possible to see at all if one bus is sending to another. Suggested Solution: add `audiobusses="` param to each bus in `<audio>` other than master.

Instant Replay feedback. I'd love to be able to have feedback for things like number of events, total time of all events, or those selected, time remaining if they are being played etc... Suggested solution: inside the `<replay>` element that's currently in the API (there only exists a timecode in there atm), there needs to be `<events>` elements, and give each a `number=...`. inside these should be each event with a timestamp of the in, out, if it's being played, current position, which cameras are set to it etc... There's a wealth of information in the Instant Replay Controller that could be exposed through the API and greatly enhance control devices. I've also had a highly requested feature for a 'delete selected clip' action, but this isn't possible through a StreamDeck/Companion because the API doesn't have that function.

Transitions. It'd be cool if for the preset transitions, 1 to 4, it would default to Mix 1 (so would remain backwards compatible) but allowed for them to be used for Mix 2 to 4 with an optionally provided mix= param.
thanks 1 user thanked Dist for this useful post.
stevespaw on 3/13/2020(UTC)
JeffInHighDef  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2021 1:30:42 AM(UTC)
JeffInHighDef

United States

Where would I find this? I am using bitfocus companion and am interested in the video countdown timer that changes color on the button. Also, is there an overall vmix custom command list anywhere? I'd like to chnage tabs, and try some other stuff other stuff. Good job!
Dist  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2021 9:48:11 AM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

You can add a countdown by adding the `Video - Video Timer` feedback to a button, which will append a countdown to the end of whatever button text you have. You can then set the feedback to change colour from default, to a second colour when under 30s remaining, and another when under 10s, or disabled colour changing if the input is set to loop.

As for custom commands, the commands available are the same ones listed if you open up the shortcut window in vMix. I've put together a full list myself which is available on my site here https://util.dist.dev/vmixapi as this can often be much more convenient to browse than vmix's own shortcuts menu.
Dazed  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2021 8:20:19 PM(UTC)
Dazed

Germany

First of all many thanks for this last update. Needed those for sure :)

I got one resquest. Would be awesome if it is possible to add.

I would love to have an instance feedback on a button when a vMix-Call is connected or disconnected. Additionaly to have the caller previewed in the button would be nice.

Thx and keep up the nice work.

Greetz

Oliver
Dist  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 5, 2021 12:10:34 AM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

Thank you for your feedback!

Depending on if you're using the latest build, or the stable build, there may or may not already be an instance variable for call connection status, called `input_<INPUT_NUMBER>_call_connected`, so if your vMix instance in companion is called `vmix` the instance variable would be `$(vmix:input_5_call_connected)` if input 5 was your call, and that would update the text to show if that input is connected or not. In an upcoming update we also have a feedback for call connection status so you can change the colour based on if a call is connected or not, but this update is still some time away as it's a significant update.

As for having the caller previewed in the button, are you asking for the button to display the callers name, or do you want the button to actually display the call video? The former is something we can do, but previewing the call video (or any input) is not possible as the vMix API doesn't give any access to actually display anything graphical from an input onto the buttons.