logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dist  
#41 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2023 8:40:12 PM(UTC)
Dist

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nidarosvideo Go to Quoted Post
Yep. I got it but I'm sure this will be helpful to others in the future.

If I may add a question as you seem to know these things: Is it possible to write functions using these variables?
For instance with the goal of making a button turn blue if one value is higher than another value, and so on..?

There's a feedback you can put on buttons, "internal: Variable: Check value", This allows you to compare 2 values and if the condition is true it can adjust the style of the button, such as background colour, text colour, PNG, alignments, etc..., and then if the condition becomes false again it'll return to whatever the buttons styling would usually be.
richardgatarski  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2023 5:39:22 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Yes, check out the Getting started section in Companion's GUI where these things are documented. And partake in forums like https://m.facebook.com/groups/companion/
TL68  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2023 1:48:12 AM(UTC)
TL68

Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all!
I am using the vMix module that came with the latest version of Companion to set up Streamdeck buttons for controlling my vMix setup.

First question is if there are more than one vmix modules for Companion? I think the one I am using is called StudioCoast (sorry, not at my Vmix computer atm so can remember wrong).

It works great but one thing I discovered is that there are quite a few shortcut commands from Vmix missing in the companion module. This can of course be solved by create a shortcut in vMix, assign a key to it and then make a vMix Keypress command in the companion calling this key.

But still, it would of course be easier to call the commands directly from the companion module.

Anyone know why there are shortcuts missing in companion?
Dist  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2023 2:04:07 AM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: TL68 Go to Quoted Post
First question is if there are more than one vmix modules for Companion? I think the one I am using is called StudioCoast (sorry, not at my Vmix computer atm so can remember wrong).

There's only 1 vMix module in Companion. It's listed under StudioCoast because all modules in Companion are labeled by the company and the product, in this case StudioCoast is the developer, and vMix is the product.

This can of course be solved by create a shortcut in vMix, assign a key to it and then make a vMix Keypress command in the companion calling this key.

There's no need to create a shortcut in vMix, assign it to a key, and then use Companion to press a key. There's literally a run custom command action that lets you run any vMix function, without the need to assign it to a shortcut or keypress or anything like that. That being said, most functions are in Companion already.

It works great but one thing I discovered is that there are quite a few shortcut commands from Vmix missing in the companion module.
But still, it would of course be easier to call the commands directly from the companion module.

Actually almost all functions are within the Companion module, it's just some of them are grouped together within a single action.

For example, adjusting the position of a layer has 13 functions per layer, SetLayer1Crop, SetLayer1CropX1, SetLayer1cropX2, SetLayer1CropY1, SetLayer1CropY2, SetLayer1PanX, SetLayer1PanY, SetLayer1X, SetLayer1Y, SetLayer1Height, SetLayer1Width, SetLayer1Zoom, SetLayer1Rectangle. Times that by 10 layers and that's 130 functions. In Companion you simply select the Layer - Position action and that has all of those functions for each layer available to you, you just need to select the layer, which position type you wish to change, and values of how to change it.

The same is true of most of the other vMix functions. Rather than having an action for each and every bus/channel/layer/mix, etc... we simply group them together within a single action or feedback, so that the vast majority of the commonly used functions are all within Companion.
TL68  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2023 5:48:34 PM(UTC)
TL68

Sweden

Originally Posted by: Dist Go to Quoted Post

There's only 1 vMix module in Companion. It's listed under StudioCoast because all modules in Companion are labeled by the company and the product, in this case StudioCoast is the developer, and vMix is the product.

This can of course be solved by create a shortcut in vMix, assign a key to it and then make a vMix Keypress command in the companion calling this key.

There's no need to create a shortcut in vMix, assign it to a key, and then use Companion to press a key. There's literally a run custom command action that lets you run any vMix function, without the need to assign it to a shortcut or keypress or anything like that. That being said, most functions are in Companion already.

It works great but one thing I discovered is that there are quite a few shortcut commands from Vmix missing in the companion module.

Actually almost all functions are within the Companion module, it's just some of them are grouped together within a single action.

For example, adjusting the position of a layer has 13 functions per layer, SetLayer1Crop, SetLayer1CropX1, SetLayer1cropX2, SetLayer1CropY1, SetLayer1CropY2, SetLayer1PanX, SetLayer1PanY, SetLayer1X, SetLayer1Y, SetLayer1Height, SetLayer1Width, SetLayer1Zoom, SetLayer1Rectangle. Times that by 10 layers and that's 130 functions. In Companion you simply select the Layer - Position action and that has all of those functions for each layer available to you, you just need to select the layer, which position type you wish to change, and values of how to change it.

The same is true of most of the other vMix functions. Rather than having an action for each and every bus/channel/layer/mix, etc... we simply group them together within a single action or feedback, so that the vast majority of the commonly used functions are all within Companion.

Thanks for a very informative reply!
Is there a list somewhere over how the shortcuts are groupet in the StudioCast module?

I have looked hard but fail to find these commands:
-ReplayPLayLastEventToOutput
-ReplayPlayAllEventsToOutput
-ReplayStopEvents
-ReplayShowHide
-AudioMixerShowHide
- LoopOn (replay)
- LoopOff (replay)
- FullscreenOn

Or should I use the Custom command function for those? And if so, how does that work? I´m still kind of a vMix rookie :-)

Thanks in advance for help with this!
Dist  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2023 10:32:17 PM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

Is there a list somewhere over how the shortcuts are groupet in the StudioCast module?

Not currently, I'm working on the Wiki for the module to add this sort of info but isn't the highest priority currently. If you browse the actions most of them are obvious by the label so just browse through.

Some functions aren't actions because it would be excessive to add functions that no one really uses, so all of the most commonly used ones are available (what functions are wanted usually comes from the broadcast studios and events we work with, so if it's not natively an action in Companion it's because no on has requested it and none of our studios use it).

For how to use the "Run Custom Command" action, the help icon next to the vMix connection in Companion will open up a help screen with a link to a vMix API reference https://util.dist.dev/vmixapi and how to structure the function to be used within that action.

Feature requests for additional functions to be added can be requested here https://github.com/bitfocus/companion-module-studiocoast-vmix/issues/, but keep in mind we don't bloat the module with every command if only one person uses it, as that's what Run Custom Command is for.

-ReplayStopEvents
-ReplayShowHide
-AudioMixerShowHide
These aren't part of the workflows for the productions we work or consult with, so you'd need to use a Custom Command if you wish to use them. If you have a use case for these as opposed to traditional workflows feel free to submit a feature request!

- LoopOn (replay)
- LoopOff (replay)
These are covered by the action "Media - Playback Actions", where there are options for Loop On, Off, or Toggle.

- FullscreenOn
This is covered by the action "Output - Output Functions".
thanks 1 user thanked Dist for this useful post.
TL68 on 12/21/2023(UTC)
spinfold  
#47 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2023 6:34:41 PM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

Is it vMix themselves who write and maintain the Companion module or is it a third party developer?

Any way to get feedback for AudioAuto? Looking for a way to light up a Streamdeck button when automix is on for a specific audio channel.
TL68  
#48 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2023 8:09:31 PM(UTC)
TL68

Sweden

Not currently, I'm working on the Wiki for the module to add this sort of info but isn't the highest priority currently. If you browse the actions most of them are obvious by the label so just browse through.

Some functions aren't actions because it would be excessive to add functions that no one really uses, so all of the most commonly used ones are available (what functions are wanted usually comes from the broadcast studios and events we work with, so if it's not natively an action in Companion it's because no on has requested it and none of our studios use it).

For how to use the "Run Custom Command" action, the help icon next to the vMix connection in Companion will open up a help screen with a link to a vMix API reference https://util.dist.dev/vmixapi and how to structure the function to be used within that action.

Feature requests for additional functions to be added can be requested here https://github.com/bitfocus/companion-module-studiocoast-vmix/issues/, but keep in mind we don't bloat the module with every command if only one person uses it, as that's what Run Custom Command is for.

-ReplayStopEvents
-ReplayShowHide
-AudioMixerShowHide
These aren't part of the workflows for the productions we work or consult with, so you'd need to use a Custom Command if you wish to use them. If you have a use case for these as opposed to traditional workflows feel free to submit a feature request!

- LoopOn (replay)
- LoopOff (replay)
These are covered by the action "Media - Playback Actions", where there are options for Loop On, Off, or Toggle.

- FullscreenOn
This is covered by the action "Output - Output Functions".

Thanks for input! Will dig into Custom Commands for now. Have posted a feature request on github too.
nikosman88  
#49 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2023 12:30:45 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
After about 2 years im using vmix as my 24/7 switcher/playout system i discovered this tool. I want to thank you very much for your great work. This tool in combination with scheduler for vmix is the ultimate playout system. You can do almost everything! Im impressed that triggers bypass the 30000ms limit that vmix has!
One thing is confusing me a little is the way the shortcuts are named and grouped on what they do,compared to actual shortcut in vmix but i think i will use it
Anyway keep up the great work!
Dist  
#50 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2023 2:42:20 AM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

Thank you, I'm glad it's helped your production!

As for the grouping of actions and feedbacks, please keep in mind that Companion is far more than just vMix, so I keep with certain naming schemes used by some of the other modules in Companion, and in some cases use grouping/naming that is more industry standard.

Also the vMix module in Companion is far more than just shortcut references. https://imgur.com/a/A9lB3wB is a clip showing a test of how on a single StreamDeck XL page I can select an Input, select any of it's 10 layers, and route any input I like to it, without needing to use vMix's Dynamic Inputs or Dynamic Values and having buttons to spare. This is just one example of extra functionality that goes beyond just vMix shortcuts and why it's not just a copy/paste of the shortcut list.
nikosman88  
#51 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2023 3:56:18 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

You`re right. May i ask you something else? Is there any way to make a trigger when in a input a layer is on or off (visible or not visible) to do an action?
Also in the events the "time of day" can be multiple in same trigger? I mean for example i want to do an action at 19.30 and same action at 22.00? Do i have to do 2 different triggers for this? or if i do 2 events in same trigger it will be ok?
Also for the value if condition is true -->do an action and if condition is false do an action can be in the same trigger? For example i want when in a vmix list input the selected index is 4 to toggle a layer on and when the selected index is 5 to toggle the layer off. Is possible this,under the same trigger?
Dist  
#52 Posted : Monday, December 25, 2023 2:39:38 AM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
You`re right. May i ask you something else? Is there any way to make a trigger when in a input a layer is on or off (visible or not visible) to do an action?

vMix's API doesn't return any data as to if a layer is on or off, so it's not possible to have Companion do any sort of triggers on that event. If vMix devs were to add if a layer is enabled or not to their API in the future then I'd happily add this, as I've had multiple requests for variables/feedback for if a layer is enabled/disabled but it's not something I can do with what vMix provides.

An alternative way to do things that many of us use as a workaround until vMix add the layer state to the API, is to instead leave the layer always enabled, and then when you want something shown you set the layer to that input, and if you want to disable the layer you would instead send a transparent input to that layer, call it 'BLANK' or something. That way you can then do triggers based on variable, so if input 5 layer 1 is set to the input 'BLANK', you know nothing is showing, but if it's anything other than 'BLANK' then the layer is showing something.

Also in the events the "time of day" can be multiple in same trigger? I mean for example i want to do an action at 19.30 and same action at 22.00? Do i have to do 2 different triggers for this? or if i do 2 events in same trigger it will be ok?

You can use a single trigger, Just add a time of day event for each time you wish the trigger to be activated.

Also for the value if condition is true -->do an action and if condition is false do an action can be in the same trigger? For example i want when in a vmix list input the selected index is 4 to toggle a layer on and when the selected index is 5 to toggle the layer off. Is possible this,under the same trigger?

You would need 2 triggers for that, because the all actions on a trigger will fire if all conditions are true, you can't fire just some actions if just some conditions are met.
nikosman88  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2023 6:32:27 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Thank you very much for your help! May i ask something else? Is there a trigger "master program remaining" so it do something when a video in mix1 remain x time? And also is there a way to enter the delay in hours-minutes-seconds and the program to transform it in the needed milliseconds?
Thanks again for this great program
Dist  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, December 27, 2023 11:42:32 PM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

Is there a trigger "master program remaining" so it do something when a video in mix1 remain x time?

There's a variable, $(vmix:mix_1_program_remaining), that has the time remaining in ms on whatever is currently in program for mix 1. So for example if you wanted to create a trigger that does something when the time remaining is 0, you could set the Event to be a change on that variable, and the Condition would be if that variable = 0.

Keep in mind if you want to do something in the last 10 seconds, that if you have the condition as variable <= 10000 it'll repeat the actions as the trigger will constantly be firing in the last 10 seconds as it'll be true. In that situation you would want the action to be to set a custom variable to true, and then you can have a separate trigger on that custom variable as then that variable will only change once and not spam the action.

Also please keep in mind that the poll rate that the Companion module is configured to use, this is how often that variable will update so although it shows milliseconds it wont update every millisecond.

And also is there a way to enter the delay in hours-minutes-seconds and the program to transform it in the needed milliseconds?

This can be done through custom variables and a trigger. First, create 2 custom variables, for example these could be called "hhmmss" and "ms". Then as a trigger you would set the Event to "On variable change", and set to internal:custom_hhmmss. Leave condition empty. The action should be "internal: Custom Variable: Set with expression", with the target variable being internal:custom_ms, and the Expression "timestampToSeconds($(internal:custom_hhmmss))".

The way this works, is that whenever the hhmmss variable changes, Companion will parse the timestamp into ms and save that value into the ms variable. That variable can then be used in actions/feedbacks that support variables in options (not all do).
nikosman88  
#55 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2023 12:12:30 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Thank you. For some reason i cant find it this value $(vmix:mix_1_program_remaining),. I see the "remaining" value from input1 to x input in vmix but not the mix_1_remaining
Also how i update the module? It says 3.4.3 and in the github i see 3.5.0
Yes also the "spam thing" you say it is true. I can override it but setting the trigger on-off based on time and this is ok for my 24/7 playout
Dist  
#56 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2023 12:35:55 AM(UTC)
Dist

United Kingdom

3.4.3 should still have the mix_1_program_remaining variable, but I'll try to look in to why it may not be showing up for you (I expect it's because Companion only shows a subset of variables for triggers, due to how large the variable list is, so if that is the case I'll look to get this fixed this week so it's one of the variables shown).

As for the most recent versions of the module, any update that is sufficient enough for me to increase the version number and write patch notes for I push to the Beta builds of Companion. Those builds happen several times throughout the day so that version is always the most up to date (and for most of the mainstream modules they do go through testing so it is used by many in production even if it does have the name 'beta' in it, the more unstable stuff is on the Develop/Experimental version of Companion).
nikosman88  
#57 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2023 1:00:45 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

3.4.3 should still have the mix_1_program_remaining variable, but I'll try to look in to why it may not be showing up for you (I expect it's because Companion only shows a subset of variables for triggers, due to how large the variable list is, so if that is the case I'll look to get this fixed this week so it's one of the variables shown).

As for the most recent versions of the module, any update that is sufficient enough for me to increase the version number and write patch notes for I push to the Beta builds of Companion. Those builds happen several times throughout the day so that version is always the most up to date (and for most of the mainstream modules they do go through testing so it is used by many in production even if it does have the name 'beta' in it, the more unstable stuff is on the Develop/Experimental version of Companion).

Thanks i updated companion to beta from stable and now i have vmix module 3.5.0. I see some variables for replay but...Still cannot see the "mix_1_remaining" but ok i found a workaround that work very good. I made a variable "input_10_remaining" and type="Video" and then from the main trigger "vmix when guid changes" it moves the new video into position input10 and the magic is ok!
TL68  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 12:53:34 AM(UTC)
TL68

Sweden

Edit:
Gaaah, I am sometimes as stupid as my wife thinks...
Of course only the command should be added to the input field in companion, without the ip and port numbers! Now all works as expected.
But I leave my question here if it may help some other stupid poor sod trying to learn this stuff :-) .

Hi again!
So, started testing running cusom commands through studiocast vMix module in companion but run into trouble.
Tried to run this to select all events in the replay list:

http://localhost:8088/api/?function=ReplaySelectAllEvents

...but nothing happens in vMix when I press the streamdeck button.

But if I enter the string in chrome browser on the same pc the events are selected as they should be.

changing "localhost" to the pc:s own ip number or the ip vmix uses for web controller does not work either (but both does work in the browser)
All other buttons works fine.

So what´s up here? Is there any setting in companion I have missed?
nikosman88  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2024 5:45:41 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Hello. I installed companion beta 3.2.0.6648 and find the new version module 3.5.2. Now i can see the value "Mix 1 Program remaining" and it work perfect. Thank you very much!
Something that i see is missing is the "Mix 1 program Title" as it has only short title. Title value can be usefull if we run a vmix list so if we have also Title value we can select to do something by item list selected and list name instead of short title that reads only the list name and not also the item list name that exist in Title value. Of course there exist the "selected index name per list" but for now if we want to do something to a specific list item in a list when this list in on program 1,we need also a 2nd value when this list "mix 1 program short title ="
Thank you for your great work!