logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skoota  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2021 3:44:15 PM(UTC)
skoota

Groups: Registered
Australia

Hi All,

Curious whether anyone else has had this issue, as I had discussions with vMix support last year and they couldn't resolve the problem.

We have a remote production workflow and use Teradek Bond backpacks to send our video to Teradek Core Cloud, which then provides an SRT source allowing us to pull the video into vMix. We recently started using HEVC (H.265) and all was working well - we purchased (for $1.49) the HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store and then vMix could decode the HEVC SRT stream.

However, one day it just stopped working. We are not sure what (if anything) changed - vMix would no longer decode HEVC video over SRT and just showed a blank input instead. The issue doesn't seem to be on the Bond end, as changing the Bond backpacks to H.264 instead works fine.

After some back and fourth with vMix support I opened the Statistics window and it said "Error: Requested codec is not currently available on this PC: HEVC". However, the codec is definitely installed and working as I can play HEVC video on the computer using the default Windows media player.

As a test, I uninstalled the HEVC codec, confirmed that I could no longer play HEVC video (i.e. it shows an message saying "To play this video, you need a new codec...HEVC Video Extensions), then reinstalled the codec, and confirmed that HEVC video works again. However, vMix still would not recognise the codec and play back our HEVC SRT stream.

We have also tried turning off hardware decoding for SRT, installing the latest GeForce driver, and downgrading to the 452.06 driver (as suggested here due to the performance issue).

The only remaining suggestion from support is to reinstall Windows. However, it's a bit of a worry that this happened and we don't know why...in case it happens again.

Anyone have a similar experience or any suggestions?
raf232  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 9:28:56 PM(UTC)
raf232

Spain

I had the same problem.
I solved uninstalling the HEVC Extensions and donwloading again the last version from the Microsoft Store.
It works in my case.
skoota  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 7:27:13 AM(UTC)
skoota

Australia

Originally Posted by: raf232 Go to Quoted Post
I had the same problem.
I solved uninstalling the HEVC Extensions and donwloading again the last version from the Microsoft Store.
It works in my case.

I did try that (multiple times) but unfortunately it didn't work for me. HEVC content played on the computer, so the extensions seem to be correctly installed, but vMix still could not detect that the extension was installed.
trilive  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2021 10:27:28 PM(UTC)
trilive

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have the same problem. My system is laptop with i7 and GTX 850M graphic card.
I was playing around with SRT the first time and could send a H264 stream to a server.
Then I tried H265 which didn't work. Then I deactivated hardware encoder and it worked.
So deinstalled the Microsoft codec and replaced it by a newer version. I also deinstalled the graphic card driver and intalled the newest version.
I've tried again and now I can't use H265 wether with or without hardware encoder.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks.