logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
911pro  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 3:30:19 AM(UTC)
911pro

Groups: Registered
United States

Just finished running a large conference, with more than 8 callers needed throughout the day. No big deal, they're all scheduled to log in at the right time and all should be fine... right? Well, one presenter decides to log in earlier than their scheduled time, and now has booted out a LIVE presenter.

This a major thing that I feel vMix needs to update immediately. If someone tries to use a call-in that's already in use, they shouldn't be allowed through. Period. Booting out live presenters is a giant no-no.

Thanks,
C
gre2gor  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2020 3:19:04 PM(UTC)
gre2gor

Slovenia

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 6 post(s)
We use google sheet where I post Caller link when I decide. They have to monitor this google sheet and when they are scheduled I update their link. Its a workaround, but it works. I posted similar request as yours a while ago.

grega
Paul Fuhrmann  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2020 5:39:49 PM(UTC)
Paul Fuhrmann

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
You can Import Calls on the Fly with this Workfow.

Build your vMix session as you want it to use with all bus routings and outputs. Also make Placeholders for the calls. Save this Session as an vMix preset.

Now clear all inputs, then add a call and name is at the caller and set all return settings. Save this session as a vMix preset and name it Call1-CallerName
Now got the change tab in this call input and change the call number. Rename the Call to identify it. The Settings will stay the same. Save this to a vMix preset name Call2-CallerNamer.

Do this to with all the necessary calls you will need.

Now you have an unique caller link for each Participant.
Who cant log in unless you have loaded his call, neither he can occupy an other link and kick out an caller who is online. (can happen if they pick the wrong link from the spreadsheet)
You email each participant only the Link dedicated for him. Pro tip send the long Link with premade names.

Now recall the Complete the total Session. Delete the Call Placeholders. And now go to open a vMix session and load the calls you need with the append load of the vMix preset (untick the blank black input wich is useless)

Now you can Pick and Mix Calls as you need them, as long you dont overextended the call amount of your license.

Works best if the calls are the last inputs in the session.
You can also crate a bulk call preset to recall planned groups.

I know there is this issue where vMix will stutter while add inputs with append. But in my scenario i use vmix only to host the calls and split them to an video Switcher and Audio desk.
But this is the better approch then a conference with zoom and an extra laptop to “spotlight capture” each participant.

Greetings Paul
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2020 6:05:36 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
This a major thing that I feel vMix needs to update immediately.

On the contrary I believe this only reveals a lack of information and organization on your side.
I use exactly the same workflow all the time since vMixCall was released 3 or 4 years ago, I never faced such an issue with several hundreds of guests. Why? Because I provide my remote guests a very clear and detailed schedule prior to the event which indicates a time slot they are allowed to connect. It also indicates in "bold" the problem they will cause if they don't respect this schedule. Furthermore, this situation is explained during the mandatory test that is done prior to the D day.
That's what producing is all about ! It's not only handling the technical aspects, it's also about organizing and communicating the right information and rules.
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
Paul Fuhrmann on 11/13/2020(UTC)
Paul Fuhrmann  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2020 6:50:12 PM(UTC)
Paul Fuhrmann

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey DWAM ,

you’re absolutely right that planning and communication and even a fall back communication is the Way to go.
And is the essence of success of online meeting and conference.

But then there is the reality. Where even if you are sendening each caller a two pages instruction they dont even read it, and do what they think is best.
We do a test meeting and it works fine. We clearly instruct them to do the test on the same machine in the same environment as planned in the show. But they dont obbey and on testing they sit at hone and is fine and on “d-day” they sit in the office with an strict firewall.
And the participant is nervous and seeks confidence by log in earlier than told.

I think you are right that planning is key. But as technicians and in this case we are workflow enabler and somehow consultants it is also our job to design a system wich is fault tolerant to expectable human misbehavior.

(Im from Germany an the whole apprenticeship about my job was how to design and build events that if the guest are partying drunk and on drugs they dont have the chance to harm them selves and others. Wich is also part of my philosophy and i dont trust „guests“ do i calculate the odds of an failure to occure. If it is comon and i know the person i rely on is not „pro“ and know thath he is an gear in a machine, i calculate the costs of an safer workflow in time and knowledge and also that more complicated solutions leave room to technical bugs but also make room for errors on my side as an operator)

But i dont want to downvote your opinion.

Then all this show thing can work if we all expect the „the whole team“ to do what was planned.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2020 7:42:57 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I believe the impression and professionalism you show to the guests prior to the D day prevents them from being disrespectful.

I agree there are situations when things must be handled differently, especially when the event is badly organized (on the client side). For example sometimes the event schedule doesn't follow our recommandation to let 30 minutes free between sessions (so that we can connect guests comfortably). In this case we have 2 solutions :
1 . use 2 vMix in parallel. vMix 1 produces session 1 and at the same time vMix 2 takes guests for session 2. In general for such a workflow a third vMix is used to stream and record (using NDI feeds from vMix 1 and 2). Obviously it's more expensive for the client (3 vMix, 2 TD and more pre-production) but this brings a safe solution. And bad decisions have a cost. If the client want it as cheap as possible, they listen to us. Otherwise they pay for their decisions consequences.
2 . when the time slot is too short (like only 10 or 15 minutes), I use a PA (Production Assistant) which texts vMixCalls passwords to the guests on my command at the last minute. They are supposed to be standing by and connect as soon as they get the code. Again we know this in advance, so guests are briefed very clearly about this situation and it works.

Regarding those guests who think they can do whatever they want like staying at work when it's been explained they have to be at home, I have a clause in my contract with the client that says that I reserve the right not to accept this guest if he puts the whole production in jeopardy by not respecting the conditions that were defined. All my clients understand this. All the guests know this clause.
Obviously I have faced this situation. In general we give it a try anyway. If it works at once, OK. Otherwise bye bye... Again it's just a matter of organization and professionalism. All tests are logged and a report is sent to my client indicating where talents are supposed to connect from (as well as connection types (fiber, dsl, 4G), computer brand (mac/pc), browser, and so on). Based on these information I give my opinion if the conditions are perfect, good, medium or bad (image and sound quality). Based on these information the client can decide what to do. Nobody wants to be ridiculous on the D day. SO sometimes they insist a guest moves to a different location or find better equipments. Sometimes they decide not to have a guest join at all. It's nobody's interest to produce crap. We're not in for the fun. We're in because we are pros...
You might think this clause is too much but think what happens in a physical event when a guest comes in late or comes in drunk.

Lastly I can say that the "append" method axplained above also works. It's possible to define sets of vMixCalls and load them in a project. I don't use this but it works.
streaming---pro  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 8:40:11 AM(UTC)
streaming---pro

Germany

I posted a feature request some month ago that would solve the problem and would do so much more:

Please add an option to each call in the right-click menu like "accept calls".
If unchecked this call won't allow any calls to connect AND would not count as an active call.

That would mean that we could setup a Preset with 30 or more calls but only some of these activated for a connection that we need (1, 4, or 8 concurrent depending on your VMIX license).

Period.

That would solve ALL Guest problems for us.

The append funtion is nearly useless because of the short freeze and the point that I first have to remove a not used call which will change all input numbers after that removed calls. This will break all of my shortcuts and other settings. A very awkward solution imho.

The other suggested workflow by sending out the caller ID multiple times to multiple guests is far from reality. It is so dangerous that they kick out any live guest - i would never ever do that! If the guest connects with his phone, and opens his browser, the browser will immediately load the last page. So it won't even be on purpose if someone kicks someone but due to system standards.

So please pleas please add the feature "allow calls"! That would make remoteguests so much more usable!

Cheers

pro
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 9:41:30 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
streaming---pro's Feature Request is https://forums.vmix.com/...o-allow-better-Show-Prep (where I have a +1)

With one exception I agree with DWAM's comments above (in the current topic). The exception has to do with human behavior. We increasingly find that our customers and callers tend to become slightly unprofessional, or rather stressed (perhaps by corona, lack of time, new work habits, etc.). So they do not read, and/or forget, our instructions.

One example, we recenly had a live situation where a minister from the Swedish Government was on a vMix Call and had problems with the microphone. One of the minister's assistants (located elsewhere) had the password and decided to try connecting with her/his computer, which kicked the minister out. And a minute after that another assistant tried from his/her computer - kicking the first assistant out.

I do not see any reason why an "Accept call" function in a vMix Call input would cause any damage, or not being backwards compatible (default Accept call=on). The point is that it would definitely provide better safety measures for us that need it.