logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pepsi(~)  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 9, 2020 8:38:37 PM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I've been using MS Teams with NDI output.
My experience so far.

When enabling NDI make sure not to restart Teams it will be turned off again. (What i did hear is that MS is working on this)
Enable NDI first before joining a Teams meeting.
All participants will see a notification once NDI is used (not when it is just turned on. As long there is no system capturing NDI there is no message)
All Video streams are individual NDI streams.
A remote desktop that is shared has it's own NDI stream.
The active presenter is also offered as an NDI stream.
From time to time the Microsoft Teams logo can appear. What I did hear is that with the Microsoft Advanced Communication license, for the account that has NDI enabled, it will be removed.

the only 3 downsides I can find so far.
1. When enabling NDI during a meeting, will not offer an NDI stream. You must do it before joining a meeting.
2. A local shared desktop is not offered as an NDI stream.
3. The audio on all NDI streams is a combined audio stream. So you can not mute just one presenter. (I did hear that MS is working on this)
McMorrow  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 12:22:08 AM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

I am having a heck of a time getting NDI to work in app. I have turned in on in meeting policies in admin but it does not show up in permissions in app no matter what computer I use. and ideas?
Pepsi(~)  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 12:31:25 AM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

Any change in Teams will take time to replicate. This because Microsoft is struggling in the growth of the service.
At the beginning of this year it was about 20 million users. currently it is over 100 million.
So if you have enabled it. and assigned the policy to the user. It will take 24 hours before it becomes effective.
McMorrow  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 12:41:35 AM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

That makes sense. I added to policy last night. Wondering if I missed a step. "assigning to user" I added to meeting policy- created a new policy and enabled NDI- is there another step assigning policy to user?
Pepsi(~)  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 1:00:14 AM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

In teams admin portal
Go to Meetings - Meeting policy.

I never will enable NDI on the Global policy.
I create a duplicate of the global and enable NDI.

then in the teams admin portal go to users
Search for the user.
Click View Policies

On the left you have Assigned policies. with a pencil behind it with the word Edit.
Click on Edit. (not the one behind Policy Package)

On the right a vertical bar will show. the first option is Meeting Policy. use the drop down menu to select the new NDI enabled policy.

In the vertical bar. at the bottom click on apply.

If needed I can provide screenshots.
thanks 1 user thanked Pepsi(~) for this useful post.
McMorrow on 10/21/2020(UTC)
McMorrow  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 1:52:56 AM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

Got it working. Missed the assign to user step! Thanks!
Pepsi(~)  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 3:00:13 PM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

Your welcome.

‘I forgot to mention (keep in mind I’m in a Euroean tenant)
All video video streams in the NDI feed are in HD ready (720) quality. And nut just the main presenter
I will have a session with 100 participants next week. I will ee if I can capture all.
thanks 1 user thanked Pepsi(~) for this useful post.
McMorrow on 10/21/2020(UTC)
Martin Block  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 6:49:36 PM(UTC)
Martin Block

Philippines

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks for sharing this.
I am looking into Teams right now and will try it out.
Please let us know about your 100 participant session next week. I hope it works!
Cheers
Pepsi(~)  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 7:25:16 PM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

It is about a 100 presenters... and a few thousand attendees.
McMorrow  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2020 11:29:27 PM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

are you using one instance of teams for all 100 presenters or multiple?

I have a live conference coming up that I am thinking about using teams. I've been using Zoom with screen capture with multiple multiviews. I did add a switch and configured for NDI that is now working with additional computers for the zoom pining method. the client now has added multiple PowerPoint presentations. Teams seems to be the way to go. Will be working on getting teams NDI into my workstation today.
Pepsi(~)  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2020 12:57:26 AM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

with the new Microsoft License Advanced Communication. I can run with a limit of 1000 presenters (when I'm going crazy) and 20.000 participants in a normal teams meeting.
https://docs.microsoft.c.../advanced-communications

The new features that only be operated by a presenter in Teams are great. (no Advanced communication license needed)
- the Spotlight Feature
- Prevent attendees to un-mute.

I do like the security mind for teams. That a presenter can not un-mute attendee. But in practice it can sometimes be difficult.

McMorrow  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2020 9:32:09 AM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

So far I have been able to get Vmix into Teams but Vmix is not seeing teams on NDI/Desk Capture. Any ideas?
Pepsi(~)  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 5:00:25 AM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

You have enable ndi in the permissions of Teams.
And than joined a meeting?

Make sure that on the vmix system the firewall is not blocking traffic
McMorrow  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 5:36:02 AM(UTC)
McMorrow

United States

yes I enabled ndi in the permissions. Started a meeting. I did get MS teams local MS Teams active speaker amd MS teams echo to show up as an input option. these are just the purple MS teams backgrounds. when I started to record in teams not vmix, my camera in the meeting was visible in the MS Teams input option.

I will start a meeting with multiple participants later tonight to see if vmix will see them. I have meeting with client next Wed and want to show them this is all working!
tsioukas  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2020 1:19:41 AM(UTC)
tsioukas

Man
Greece

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Does anyone found a solution on vMix NDI input selection when we have more than 20-30 attendees?

NDI Input panel show the list as grid of tiles and I must find them one by one by scrolling. I can add the presenters as inputs before session starts to have a quick access on their cameras, but on attendees the selection is complex. Active presenter NDI source doesn’t help.

To clarify it, when a attendee raise the hand I have to :
- Unmute him
- Find on NDI panel the name of attendee
- Show him on vMix live
- and all other extra steps that I do on my flow, like multiview with presenter and chairman.

The best of that, all that I must do it in 2-3 seconds ;)

The only solution that I think is to ask from vMix a feature request to add a filter text box on NDI Input Panel and to have alternate view without tiles just like a row grid format.

Do you think that will help?

P.S. For post-production I found a great tool that records up to 16 NDI cameras on the fly (you can add/remove NDI sources and record them independently) . Also adds timestamps on exported MOV files for quick sync. The soft called “Livemind NDI Recorder” and isn’t very expensive.
migrif  
#16 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2020 11:46:11 AM(UTC)
migrif

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pepsi(~) Go to Quoted Post
Your welcome.

‘I forgot to mention (keep in mind I’m in a Euroean tenant)
All video video streams in the NDI feed are in HD ready (720) quality. And nut just the main presenter
I will have a session with 100 participants next week. I will ee if I can capture all.

Hi,

Just wondering how you went with your 100 participant stream, were you able to get the NDI streams for all users or is there a cap on the number of NDI streams?

Thanks!
Pepsi(~)  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2020 5:03:04 PM(UTC)
Pepsi(~)

Netherlands

I was able to pull about 50 camera NDI streams.
I think it was the limit on the bandwidth at the location that I was.
Asking people that didn’t speak to turn of there camera. But enable it when lining up to speak.
I was able to pull more NDI streams but that was initially Audio only
I can tell you that after 40 min. You will start to dislike the blue/purple space screen of teams NDI
thanks 2 users thanked Pepsi(~) for this useful post.
tsioukas on 11/7/2020(UTC), migrif on 11/7/2020(UTC)
tsioukas  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 2:26:44 AM(UTC)
tsioukas

Man
Greece

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can tell you that after 40 min. You will start to dislike the blue/purple space screen of teams NDI

Hehe :), on vMix NDI Input Panel, does you have any problem to scroll (speed/flow) NDI Sources before you add it on vMix? Is was easy to find the people that you want on this panel, for example to search a specific name that raised his hand?
migrif  
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 4:08:50 PM(UTC)
migrif

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was able to pull about 50 camera NDI streams.
I think it was the limit on the bandwidth at the location that I was.
Asking people that didn’t speak to turn of there camera. But enable it when lining up to speak.
I was able to pull more NDI streams but that was initially Audio only

Thank you for the information!

Once my account gets NDI enabled, I'll run some tests with a high bandwidth connection.
Peter Berglund  
#20 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2020 5:07:54 AM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We had an hour on YouTube and MS Stream today to our 17,000 employees. I made very intense tests prior to this rather big event and I have used Teams for several months now together with vMix using NDI. But today I had very strange problems and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Even though I have a decent Xeon W-2145 machine with 8 cores (16HT), RTX 2080 TI, SSD etc., I noticed that having more than 12 Teams hooked up via NDI made my CPU hit 100%. This was a couple of months ago. So after that I have used "placeholders" in vMix, in other words a bunch of NDI-inputs (normally 4-8) that I quickly can assign to a Teams member by right-clicking on the input and select the person in the menu. This has worked very well and has been a rather okay solution when having large meetings where you need to connect to many available speakers in a production.

But as said, today this did not work as usual. I had just 17 persons in the Teams meeting and selected 4 of them at a time. The really strange thing that happened was that I only got the purple Teams box with moving particles in it for about half of them, no video. But when looking into my Teams app video was there for that person. So I selected one of the persons I had active in another "placeholder" and it popped up as expected, and then back again to the person that didn't work. But then the purple box came back again with moving particles. Usually those moving particles indicate that the person is there, but the camera is off. And as said, video was visible in the Teams app.

I even restarted Teams behind the scenes during the broadcast, but the result was the same. About half of them came thru to vMix with video.

But here comes another strange thing. When selecting one of these "purple ones" (where video didn't come thru) and assign them to output (program), then the video suddenly started after a couple of seconds. It felt like vMix sent some kind of message to Teams to prioritize that specific NDI-feed as it was in program. According to Martin at vMix, only a tally signal is returned from vMix to Teams which then could have caused this and triggered Teams, but it can't be as I had a multiscreen-PIP in program where there were some "purple boxes" mixed with working video feeds. And Martin says that this should also send that tally signal. So it's really strange that the video started when it was in full frame in program.

All this really messed up my production I felt real bad. I have an on-going discussion with vMix, but they point towards MS. I have a ticket to our Teams group at our IT-dep, but I don't think they know too much regarding NDI.

So, does anyone have a clue...?

/Peter