logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RDP  
#21 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 3:54:48 AM(UTC)
RDP

Groups: Registered
United States

Thanks Moirki, that's very helpful!
mtone  
#22 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 3:56:41 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Morki Go to Quoted Post
When testing I also hit the DVS/Dante VIA issues. My next try would be to have the DVS on both PCs and VIA running on a third laptop, that should provide the Clock DVS needs? I am travelling at the moment, so I only have one laptop with me and can't test any further since DVS and VIA won't run on a single system at the same time.

why do you need DVS ? cant you just use Dante Via to connect audio from each computer ? i havent used these drivers myself so maybe i am missing something but dont you just put Via on each computer on the same network and then they can all be seen in Dante routing software ? have you tried this ?
RDP  
#23 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 4:00:44 AM(UTC)
RDP

United States

@Mtone, I can't speak for Morki but I'll be using Dante DVS because I'm interfacing into a full studio system that's Dante based. So using Dante DVS allows me to connect to all of the necessary devices.
mtone  
#24 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 4:06:16 AM(UTC)
mtone

if you need to use things like an external digital mixer then you use DVS but if you just want audio between a few computers on the same network i thought VIA is the option ? the OP originally was talking about sending 6 callers to another computer or application to mix in software, so this should only need VIA i thought ?
Morki  
#25 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 6:02:58 PM(UTC)
Morki

Germany

Originally Posted by: mtone Go to Quoted Post
When testing I also hit the DVS/Dante VIA issues. My next try would be to have the DVS on both PCs and VIA running on a third laptop, that should provide the Clock DVS needs? I am travelling at the moment, so I only have one laptop with me and can't test any further since DVS and VIA won't run on a single system at the same time.

why do you need DVS ? cant you just use Dante Via to connect audio from each computer ? i havent used these drivers myself so maybe i am missing something but dont you just put Via on each computer on the same network and then they can all be seen in Dante routing software ? have you tried this ?

I learned latency is an issue with VIA, and I'm worried about that (lip snc). In addition, using DVS just "feels better", is more flexible when using external hardware at a later point, it just looks like a multichannel soundcard and is easier to handle, I find VIA a little weird.

But if I understand correctly, I cannot use DVS on two pcs without any Dante hardware in the network or alternatively a Dante VIA to have a Dante master clock.
mtone  
#26 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 2:24:55 PM(UTC)
mtone

I learned latency is an issue with VIA, and I'm worried about that (lip snc).

cant you just set a minus offset in mixer channel settings in vmix ?
Paul Fuhrmann  
#27 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 8:17:08 PM(UTC)
Paul Fuhrmann

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Here a few infos i have on Dante Software DVS&VIA

Dante DVS: The Professional Tool for Live Audio

Developed for Multitrack Recording and Multitrack Playback for Virtual Soundcheck e.g.
Dante DVS should enhance a current Dante Setup witch mixer and stagebox wich are connected by Dante.
DVS provides 64 ASIO Only Channels @48kHz i/o
and 32 ASIO i/o @96kHz.
The Windows os cant access DVS cause it is ASIO based. You will need an Professional DAW or similar to use the DVS channels.
DVS was explicit not designed to insert effects and process them(Like Waves is) because auf the high latency the DVS was given wich can be granted for all PC NICs.

Dante VIA: for Conferencing and Special Workflows

Developed for Boardrooms and conferencing it is able to send Audio from PC to PC and to Dante Hardware also like ceiling speakers and receive from fixed installed mic.
So this can be eccessed by zoom with only one network cable.
But it is Limited Total 48 channels @48kHz and these are splitted in 16Channels ASIO and 32WDM.
Wich means a DAW can only access 16Channels i/o. But you can send 9.2 Audio from an DVD software ore a computer game to the dante network.
Also there is the ability to grab audio from any Software running. As an example routing Powerpoint audio to channel 1&2 and vlc player to 3&4.
This archieved by tunneling in the windows systemaudiomixer. Most standard wdm software obly use the defined standard audio device (there is the possibility to select the direct select the desired soundcard in wdm applications but is not used activly anymore)
Also WDM cahnnels will suffer a higher latency root to the system sound and mixer, there is no adjustable buffer size.

II only knot the behavior in windows systems. And i dont know how it works on mac OS because it is all coreAudio.

Also my Knowlege comes from Workshops with yamaha and dante trainings and the Dante Website but i never worked with DanteVIA.

When to Choose DVS:

BandRecording Multitrack, or Multitrack Playback
You have an existing Dante Infrastructure.
You need more than 16channels of ASIO per direction

When to Choose DanteVIA:

Conferencing or Wish to level GameAudio and Powerpoint independently.
Bridging audio from Zoom to Skype eg.
Also mix Consumer applications with pro audio software.

I doubt that Dante-VIA is a suitable clocksource for Dante Products and DVS.
Also mind that mixing ASIO and WDM driver channels to max out the channelcount will lead to different latency between them. And vMIX can Access both WDM and ASIO.
revned  
#28 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:52:30 AM(UTC)
revned

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
@RDP

Might be too little, too late but Bird Dog just released their Dante-NDI Bridge software.

http://www.bird-dog.tv/dante/

I am hoping I can use it to embed Dante audio into an NDI stream. Perhaps you could do the opposite.
Morki  
#29 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2020 9:37:37 PM(UTC)
Morki

Germany

I just wanted to let you all know we've had the first shows with our setup and it worked fine. We used Dante DVS.
Playing around with different DAW Software now to figure out what works best for our live situations... And we're looking into MIDI controllors for easier/quicker access...
AudioGreg  
#30 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2020 3:01:26 PM(UTC)
AudioGreg

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The BirdDog bridge is limited to 6 channels, disappointing. Hopefully they expand that someday.

I'm using multiple instances of NDI Studio monitor on another PC to pick up each of my 6 calls over NDI. Each monitor instance maps the caller into a Dante channel, and on to my external mixer so not using any vMix busses to get callers. Any ugly translator, but it works very well. My console generates the final mix for the show, and mix minuses for the 6 callers which assign thru 6 RTS IFBs to 6 vMix busses to return to callers. I get much more audio bang this way, and another person driving the board completely untethered from the vMix op.
Gert Roscam  
#31 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 7:26:33 PM(UTC)
Gert Roscam

Belgium

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi to all who contributed to this post.
I learned a lot from you. thank you.

my dream is to have my Yamaha O1V96i console work as:
A: a remote control surface for vmix, so I could remotely control the volume faders, solo knobs, mute buttons, ... (by using the remote layer on the Yamaha desk)
B: use the Yamaha 01v96i as an external mixer to proces the audio of vmix callers (or other sources) via the USB/MIDI connection.
(for those that are unfamiliar with the USB/MIDI connection of this console: this connection enables 16 channels of IN AND OUT between the console and the computer in 48khz, 24bit. It works great for instance in combination with Cubase)

questions for all you out there:
- does anyone use a Yamaha 01v96i console as a remote control surface?
--> is the midi well behaving?
- does anybody use this USB/midi connection in combination with vmix, and what are your thoughts and experience?

I would like to get in contact with people that are doing the same thing as I would like to do so We could discuss this further.

thank you all!
Gert
Sparkymark  
#32 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2020 5:42:48 AM(UTC)
Sparkymark

United Kingdom

Hi
I am following this too, as pretty much we have the same requirement but i am looking to make it work with a Behringer X32 Producer desk via Dante
rollfocus  
#33 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 2:15:18 AM(UTC)
rollfocus

Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1 for us too - anyone had any luck using the X32 or similar console as a remote controller for vMix audio inputs?