logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ario  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2020 5:57:29 AM(UTC)
Ario

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
With the new line of Super laptop GPU's (GeForce RTX 2070 Super and 2080 Super) from Nvidia performing well in the reviews,
I'm wondering if the "Advanced Optimus" that they have, which should make passing video from the integrated GPU to the dedicated GPU a thing of the past,
is good enough to reach the level as implied in this vMix article about G-sync:
https://www.vmix.com/kno...roves-laptop-performance

Quote from that: "G-Sync requires direct GeForce graphics access on Laptops. This bypasses Optimus and is therefore much better for graphics intensive apps like vMix."

Of course, this is assuming that the laptop manufacturer does the correct implementation of Advanced Optimus and G-sync, e.g. as described here:
https://www.anandtech.co...ech-and-advanced-optimus

Thanks for any insights!

Cheers from Arie
Anders  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2020 5:16:24 PM(UTC)
Anders

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm wondering about this too. I suspect that most high end laptops will use this system in the future.
stevethornley  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 2:37:45 AM(UTC)
stevethornley

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So, I am trying to get to the bottom of this with the ordering of a new Alienware r3 M17 laptop with RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Super graphics cards.

I'm in the middle of a long thread with Alienware support, the latest posting of which says:

"I can confirm here, as advised by my senior techs, that new laptops- alienwares from us, got no optimus implemented."

Yet, from Nvidia's website https://www.nvidia.com/e...-kR5nNxW_pSy3CHrCn32hMg, this:

"Our breakthroughs don’t just give you more FPS per watt. Our new Advanced Optimus Technology enables G-SYNC support for the first time, to deliver the long battery life we expect from Optimus, and the immersive, tear-free, stutter-free gameplay from G-SYNC.

This new groundbreaking display innovation dynamically selects whether the GeForce GPU or the laptop’s iGPU is driving the laptop display depending on what type of application you’re running. Obviously, you’ll want to have your GeForce GPU drive the display while you’re playing games, and with Advanced Optimus Technology, your laptop will automatically switch over to the iGPU driving the display while you’re browsing the web and watching videos to conserve battery life. Lenovo’s brand new Legion 7i and Legion 5i gaming laptops are the first laptops to offer this groundbreaking feature."

So it does have Optimus but, as noted in the post, it's the new 'Advanced' version which, apparently, switches itself on and off according to the application.

But then I have Tim's advice ringing in my ears at 1:32 here:

So what's best advice? Go for any G-Sync display just so you can switch it off to be safe? Or go for one of these non G-Sync 'Super' cards and let 'Advanced' handle the heavy-lifting?

Any advice would be appreciated. It's a £2000 purchase so it would be helpful to get it right!

Thank you in anticipation.

Steve

thanks 1 user thanked stevethornley for this useful post.
Ario on 9/8/2020(UTC)
Ario  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:00:23 AM(UTC)
Ario

Great question Steve, I'm also still somewhat confused.
G-sync seems to be less and less prevalent on laptops.
Hopefully you'll get a definitive answer from someone who knows exactly what's what.
Ario  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:05:04 AM(UTC)
Ario

In the video you embed, Tim says around 2m30s he doesn't have any idea what Advanced Optimus will & won't do.
Would be great if the team updated this part, the video is from 2.5 months ago and new models have since come out like mad.
stevethornley  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 7:32:37 PM(UTC)
stevethornley

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Bumping this because I'm about to put an order together for a LiveStreaming installation and I cannot get Alienware R3/R4 with G-Sync (so I can disable it as Tim suggests).

I'm looking at models like this:

https://www.dell.com/en-...5-r3-laptop/n00awm15r302

and this:

https://www.dell.com/en-...5-r4-laptop/n00awm15r404

Dell are being their usual unhelpful selves over availability. No clue if/when G-Sync models will be available. So, I get in conversation with Alienware Technicians who do, I believe, know their onions.

However, even among them, there is confusion:

Quote:
I can confirm here, as advised by my senior techs, that new laptops- alienwares from us, got no optimus implemented

Daniel Kmet, Alienware Technical Support

Quote:
On previous (older) models was not possible to use internal GPU even when G-sync was disabled, because LCD panel was connected directly to dedicated GPU and integrated GPU had been disabled.

Patrik Pavlovic, Alienware Technical Support

I'm also interested to read what it says here:

https://www.nvidia.com/e...8-kR5nNxW_pSy3CHrCn32hMg

particularly this bit:

Quote:
Our breakthroughs don’t just give you more FPS per watt. Our new Advanced Optimus Technology enables G-SYNC support for the first time, to deliver the long battery life we expect from Optimus, and the immersive, tear-free, stutter-free gameplay from G-SYNC.

This new groundbreaking display innovation dynamically selects whether the GeForce GPU or the laptop’s iGPU is driving the laptop display depending on what type of application you’re running. Obviously, you’ll want to have your GeForce GPU drive the display while you’re playing games, and with Advanced Optimus Technology, your laptop will automatically switch over to the iGPU driving the display while you’re browsing the web and watching videos to conserve battery life.

So, we really need a steer from vMix technicians here!

1. G-Sync - YES or NO?
2. Max-Q - YES or NO?
3. Advanced Optimus Technology - YES or NO?

Thanks in advance!

thanks 1 user thanked stevethornley for this useful post.
Ario on 2/13/2021(UTC)
Ario  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 8:47:44 AM(UTC)
Ario

Thanks for the input Steve.
I'm still a bit puzzled too (and Nvidia's naming circus doesn't exactly help, either).

Probably you already read this?:

https://www.vmix.com/knowledgebase/article.aspx/158/how-gsync-improves-laptop-performance

"How G-SYNC improves Laptop performance
NOTE: G-Sync is only of benefit to vMix Laptop users. If you have a PC, then it is not needed. (Though all recent PC GeForce cards support it regardless)

One of the biggest performance issues we encounter with laptops is with NVIDIA Optimus.

In a nutshell, NVIDIA Optimus routes all graphics through the integrated Intel Graphics before reaching the display, reducing performance for apps like vMix. As a result, we recommend laptops that have direct access to the NVIDIA graphics in order to achieve the best possible performance. Determining this from the manufacturer specs alone is often extremely difficult. However now this has been made easy with G-Sync. While vMix itself doesn't use G-Sync or need it, the technology itself requires direct access to the graphics card in order to work. Thus G-Sync is the way to know if the laptop is going to offer the best possible graphics performance.

Only one small thing to note: some newer G-Sync laptops may still have Optimus available, but will always have a switch in the bios to turn this off. So be sure to turn it off if purchasing one of these laptops.

In Summary: G-Sync requires direct GeForce graphics access on Laptops. This bypasses Optimus and is therefore much better for graphics intensive apps like vMix.
Last Updated: Monday, 13 August 2018 11:58:50 AM"

Secondly,
maybe this vMix user has some news by now:
https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t25040-Dell-Precision-laptops-non-G-Sync