logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bunkerboss  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 3:54:15 AM(UTC)
Bunkerboss

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Dear forum members,

I need to do a livestream that has a remote thing in it. A location 50 km from my studio. A friend of mine has a LiveUsolo+ with bonding that I'd like to add as an input of vMix. So I understood that srt is the solution, I just don't understand how to set this up. Do I stream to a URL? I'm a total Noob with this. I've watched the vMix video's on this, but it doesn't really say where to stream to.

Thanks in advance.
ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 11:05:21 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
AKAIK you can't do this. The LiveU Solo is an encoder, i.e. it takes the vMix output and sends to a CDN. It also currently doesn't support SRT (I have just upgraded to check). The simplest solution is to run vMix at both locations and then use either vMix call or SRT to connect both instances.

MycroBeat99  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 11:32:35 AM(UTC)
MycroBeat99

Man
Romania

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ask Go to Quoted Post
AKAIK you can't do this.

Yes he can do that. That encoder is an RTMP Encoder.

First method: You need to configure a server with Wowza Streaming Engine or nginx (nginx need to be compiled with rtmp module from arut on an Ubuntu Machine) than your friend to send an live to that server via rtmp and you add that rtmp stream from Wowza or nginx in vMix by using VLC or Flash.
Second method: You can set an Youtube Private Live or another RTMP solution and then add that link to Browser in vMix. Keep in mind the delay is around 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 12:45:56 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I have also done this in testing (not an actual broadcast) using an RTMP pull from Castr.io. Simply set up a custom rtmp in the LiveU browser interface to send the liveU encode to Castr.io. Then setup an rtmp pull input in vMix. If you use low latency mode, your delay could be as low as 5 seconds or so.
ask  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 8:39:37 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Hate to split hairs, but what is described above are CDNs.....my comment above stands. Read the OP's question. He wants to bring in the source as a switchable input and as a "noob" needs a simple solution. The LiveU solo is not suitable for his requirements.
MycroBeat99  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 11:27:20 PM(UTC)
MycroBeat99

Man
Romania

Hate to split hairs, but what is described above are CDNs.....my comment above stands. Read the OP's question. He wants to bring in the source as a switchable input and as a "noob" needs a simple solution. The LiveU solo is not suitable for his requirements.

If he don't like our answers, he maybe go to do another else (like to do gardening). That device is for outside broadcasting and require a minimal knowledge about outside broadcast, routing and servers. Maybe all the noobs need to do a little research about broadcasting before to do what he want in this domain.
stigaard  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 11:50:18 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MycroBeat99 Go to Quoted Post

If he don't like our answers, he maybe go to do another else (like to do gardening). That device is for outside broadcasting and require a minimal knowledge about outside broadcast, routing and servers. Maybe all the noobs need to do a little research about broadcasting before to do what he want in this domain.

Live streaming != Broadcasting.

Outside broadcasting implies large setups handled by TV stations i.e.. Live streaming doesn't imply that at all. Everybody can do live streaming.

That aside, I think the OP need to provide a little more info on the setup. What equipment is in the remote location? A camera that needs to be mobile? If mobility is not a requirement, I would go with the solution proposed by @ask. Otherwise, I would use a smartphone with vMix call. vMix call is a solution which is very easy to use - even noobs can understand it :-)
MycroBeat99  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:51:57 AM(UTC)
MycroBeat99

Man
Romania

Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post

Outside broadcasting implies large setups handled by TV stations i.e.. Live streaming doesn't imply that at all. Everybody can do live streaming.

Learn more about Broadcasting, Live Streaming and all in this domain before write here.

Hai că ești prost de bubui, mai te și dai mare de căcăcios. Mai învață. Caută soluții și în altă parte, nu doar într-un singur program.
stigaard  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2020 5:43:59 AM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MycroBeat99 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stigaard Go to Quoted Post

Learn more about Broadcasting, Live Streaming and all in this domain before write here.

Hai că ești prost de bubui, mai te și dai mare de căcăcios. Mai învață. Caută soluții și în altă parte, nu doar într-un singur program.

Well, I work for the Danish Broadcasting Corporation...
Bunkerboss  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2020 7:16:00 AM(UTC)
Bunkerboss

Netherlands

Wow, thanks everybody. Please don't get upset. I probably should add some information. I'm not really a stream or multicam noob. I just don't know how this works. So I use an ATEM switcher with matrix, tally and everything.

Later on I decided to use vMix for al my visuals and videos. vMix gets imported into a Ultrastudio4K which then is fill & key on the switcher. Now I'd like to stream live with a LiveU Solo+ to a rtmp source and pull that via vMix into my switcher. A little bit of latency shouldn't be a problem.

I started a castr trial because of your help, but I don't know what URL's should be put where. That's where the noob part starts.

Thanks everybody. I didn't want to create a discussion or anything :)

Greets,

Erik
ralston  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 4:32:37 AM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Did you manage to get this sorted in the end Erik. It would be great to be able to stream directly from the LiveU Solo into vmix as a source / add graphics etc and re-stream to another destination either from within vmix or out of the ATEM to another LiveU etc. I was wondering if there was a rtmp to srt cloud based service so you could pull in a srt stream into vmix. Interested to read if you solved this.
elvis55  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 5:41:19 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
ralston  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 6:02:28 AM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

Excellent. Thanks elvis55. Downloading the software as I type
mgrayeb  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:45:11 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: elvis55 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for this. Are there pros/cons of using this approach (e.g. lower latency) vs. sending an RTMP stream to say Restream.io and then ingesting an RTMP Pull Link from Restream to vMix?
elvis55  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 7:51:17 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

TRIAL PERIOD - 21 days
free download and try with your equipment
ralston  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 3:05:21 AM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

So last night I ran my vmix from the kitchen table mixing / graphics / remote commentary / Replay 1 camera / streaming to youtube with a LiveU solo as a main feed from the ground location. Used RTMP server as suggested above to transcode to NDI and then to vmix. The server software was running on a mac laptop with NDI Monitor for confidence. LiveU via twin 3G managed 8M from the ground, stream was sent to switchboard and then out to youtube ( safety no graphics unlisted) and my laptop running RTMP Server. 2hr Test. NDI Dropped out a few times during the game but recovered, not sure if I need to set the start delay / end delay settings within RTMP Server to help with this.
NDI was full resolution because I was using Replay and when I switched to low bandwidth to help with the failure Replay failed due to the wrong format.

The next test for me will be to be at the ground filming but controlling the kitchen table setup via my Skarrhoj controller. What I would like to do is travel to the location with my cameras and solo's but keep all the processing kit back in the kitchen self isolating, covid free.

Thoughts.
elvis55  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 3:21:13 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Did you get information from the Help Center?
ralston  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 3:57:16 AM(UTC)
ralston

United Kingdom

No. I haven't made contact with them yet. Perhaps I'll ask about the delays etc to see if that helps with the NDI stream.
I was wondering if I should be running the server software on the same PC as vmix ? rather than over the network. Thoughts ?
So that would mean the same PC is streaming and ingesting the RTMP feed.