logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shinyidol  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:24:03 AM(UTC)
shinyidol

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
how do you change the viewport when zoomed in on a multiview panel?

I'm trying to check for pixel accuracy, and can't move around.
TobinT  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:37:53 AM(UTC)
TobinT

Belgium

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Click on the cog on the multiview input and then use the zoom and pan controls under the positioning sub menu.
shinyidol  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 8:31:01 AM(UTC)
shinyidol

United States

Originally Posted by: TobinT Go to Quoted Post
Click on the cog on the multiview input and then use the zoom and pan controls under the positioning sub menu.
I don't see a pan slider. There is a zoom slider on the right, but nothing to pan left and right or up and down.

I'm talking about the preview view after you click the cog. You can zoom in there, but it zooms just to the center of the layer.
Simsyuk  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:08:02 PM(UTC)
Simsyuk

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I usually just click on the image and move it around to where I want it, then I use the crop sliders if needed.
shinyidol  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 2:19:42 AM(UTC)
shinyidol

United States

Originally Posted by: Simsyuk Go to Quoted Post
I usually just click on the image and move it around to where I want it, then I use the crop sliders if needed.
Totally unrelated to the question I am asking. I can't even click on the image because it isn't on the screen when zoomed in.

I'm talking about in the multipanel view you can ZOOM, but the zoom just zooms to the center of whatever layer you are looking at. How do you move the active view left, right, up or down NOT using the tools to manipulate the layer (size, position, cropping, rotation).

If this were photoshop you zoom into an image and hold spacebar which changes the mouse icon to a hand which lets you move the view to where you want it.

How do you do that.
doggy  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 2:36:50 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Might be helpful if one is consistent with terminologie : Multiview... multipanel..
Sure it's not Photoshop

and please specify : you want to work on zoom for the input or the individual layer ?
In either case clickhold on the image will move the image of the input or the individual layer selected ( or use the pan slider)
shinyidol  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 3:34:15 AM(UTC)
shinyidol

United States

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Might be helpful if one is consistent with terminologie : Multiview... multipanel..
Sure it's not Photoshop

and please specify : you want to work on zoom for the input or the individual layer ?
In either case clickhold on the image will move the image of the input or the individual layer selected ( or use the pan slider)
I don't want to move the layer. Click and hold changes the position of the layer. I just want to change what I am zooming into.

I'm baffled this is so confusing.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
doggy  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 3:56:19 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

LOL, heck i never ever used that slider , didn't even notice it was there.

Why do you have multiview selected when you have no additional layers in the first place as then yes the dragging as mentioned before doesnt work then (does if you have layers added) , just select position (the one above MultiView)

?t=392

position2.JPG (81kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
shinyidol  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 4:19:19 AM(UTC)
shinyidol

United States

LOL, heck i never ever used that slider , didn't even notice it was there.

Why do you have multiview selected when you have no additional layers in the first place as then yes the dragging as mentioned before doesnt work then (does if you have layers added) , just select position (the one above MultiView)

that was just a simple screenshot to show the tools, not my actual project.

The actual project has multiple layers. What I'm trying to do is move the view to the left, so I can align some overlays to be pixel accurate and if I need to use any of the actual layer edit sliders.
doggy  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 5:13:01 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

select the position tab next to the layer you want to adjust (if in multiview) or dropdown to select the layer one wants to adjust ( once in "position" selection) . Main in de dropdown will adjust all layers otgether)
dBeau  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 11:44:14 AM(UTC)
dBeau

United States

For what it's worth... me too! What I mean is, I think I get what shinyidol is asking and I've been frustrated by it too.

The problem shows when trying to build a MultiView. Start with a background image that shows a video monitor and then try to overlay the contents of an input on top of the monitor. While the basic steps to do this are fairly straight forward, doing it with any amount of precision, especially when rotations are needed, is very difficult. Short of editing the zoom, pan, and rotation values by hand, I'm coming up empty.

If I'm reading correctly, shinyidol is hoping to zoom in to the background image but only while trying to align the overlay. By zooming in during the parameter edit, it would be easier to see when everything is aligned. Going full screen only helps a little because the sensitivity of mouse movements doesnt change.

Now if I've got the problem description down, I'd like to know how to approach it too! But, I'd also be happy to hear other suggestions for how to precisely place an overlay. Of course apologies to shinyidol if I misunderstood... I'll just sulk back to my corner and start my own thread.
doggy  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 4:38:36 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
doing it with any amount of precision, especially when rotations are needed, is very difficult. Short of editing the zoom, pan, and rotation values by hand, I'm coming up empty.

When one holds the mousepointer over one to the slider thingies one can use the mousewheel to adjust more precisely
dBeau  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 10:16:08 PM(UTC)
dBeau

United States

When one holds the mousepointer over one to the slider thingies one can use the mousewheel to adjust more precisely

Thanks for the reply doggy. The mousewheel is a great help, but even with it getting down to single pixel moves is near impossible in many cases.

For operations like this I suspect an external program will be necessary to get the required accuracy. Are there any? Maybe the virtual set feature is the way to go? I’ve managed to replace the images in existing virtual sets but haven’t managed to find an editor for positioning the pieces. Is there any software out there that understands the file format? How about a white paper that describes the coordinate system and transformations?

Joeboe  
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 10:57:55 PM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I dont seem to understand exactly what the question is, but if I want to zoom with any form of accuracy, when moving the sliders, I try to get as near as I can to what I want, and the adjust the numbers one digit at a time to see how much I am moving....in that way I get as accurate as possible....not by just rolling the mouse wheel...e.g:..1.245, then 1.246 etc. try that, will take some time, but should yield the results needed
doggy  
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 12:10:23 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

not to mention if you click on one of the slider indicators you can use the arrow buttons too (is what one finds out trying stuff ;-) )
dBeau  
#16 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:55:50 AM(UTC)
dBeau

United States

not to mention if you click on one of the slider indicators you can use the arrow buttons too (is what one finds out trying stuff ;-) )

Since they use the smallest increment, the arrow buttons seems to be the best option. Thanks for the tip.
shinyidol  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 5:30:42 PM(UTC)
shinyidol

United States

Originally Posted by: Joeboe Go to Quoted Post
I dont seem to understand exactly what the question is, but if I want to zoom with any form of accuracy, when moving the sliders, I try to get as near as I can to what I want, and the adjust the numbers one digit at a time to see how much I am moving....in that way I get as accurate as possible....not by just rolling the mouse wheel...e.g:..1.245, then 1.246 etc. try that, will take some time, but should yield the results needed
I'm just trying to pan over to the left or to the right.

I'm trying to setup vmix calls with borders on top of them that I have aligned to the left edge of the screen. I want to attempt to align the vmix call windows to be as accurate as possible.

Because the magnify slider just zooms to the center and you can't pan left or right, the magnify slider is kinda pointless.

It seems like the suggestion is to set up all my MultiView layers and then Pan X and Pan Y on my Main to the right what I want to see is kinda in the center of my view, then go into each MultiView layer and use the controls (zoom x/y, pan x/y, crop) to make the vmix call fit into my borders and then reset my Main back Which seems stupid.

There should be a second slider controller next to the magnify slider. One to magnify and one to pan left and right. Which has nothing to do with the position, zoom, crop, rotate of the layer, it is just a simple zoom and pan for the viewport.

This would allow you to analyze anything in your scene.

Again, if this was photoshop, you would just magnify and then use the grab tool to move the viewport to what you want to actually look at.
Hypohamish  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2021 11:32:47 PM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Omg this was frustrating to read.

@Shinyidol - I completely get what you're asking, and I've found this thread looking for the same feature myself.

I'm zooming in on the position view, I want to check that something is lined up pixel perfect with the bottom of something else, but using the zoom slider only zooms in on the center, I can't move left/right to 'zoom in' on somewhere else to look at something closer?

It is one of many features that is absolutely bonkers that it's missing in vMix - there's so many quality of life things that just seem to get skipped over or taking far too long to be introduced.
thanks 1 user thanked Hypohamish for this useful post.
vmixLove33 on 11/14/2021(UTC)
davebtw  
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 9:46:23 PM(UTC)
davebtw

United Kingdom

Has there been any updates on this? This was one of the most frustrating support threads I've ever read.

Here's an example of a project I'm working on. The stream is just a random one I pulled for guide references. But the bottom right and left images have a purple border, which is a completely separate layer. I want to be able to zoom in on this area of the layer so I can make sure its perfectly aligned. However, the only option I have is to use the slider on the right, which only zooms to the exact centre of the layer. So by the time I'm zoomed in as far as I need to be, I can't even see the images in the bottom right anymore, because it only zooms to the centre. Any help would be appreciated as this is something that's been an issue for a while, only a small one, but an issue nonetheless.

image 10.PNG (507kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
image 11.PNG (396kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
tcconway  
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2021 2:28:58 AM(UTC)
tcconway

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I had the same issue. I've posted a workaround here: https://www.reddit.com/r.../zooming_how_do_you_pan/