logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Damn2Good4U  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:28:35 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I did my first LIVE show today with vMix... mistakes here and there but I can only get better.

No audio for the first 30mins of the 60mins live show but the recording was ok with audio from the start.

will provide the link to the VOD as soon as its ready here.

Please watch out for it and your feedback is welcomed... on how I can get better.

UPDATE:

Here is the link to the show : http://www.fusionplustv.com/investment-in-nigeria

To many audio issues... Though the recording audio started well but the streaming didn't
peterphelan  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:30:57 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I only watched a few minutes of the video but a few suggestions:

1) I liked the intro
2) Lip sync needs to be sorted. At present the audio is out of sync with the video.
3) Plain cuts are better in this kind of chat show context; so I found some of the transitions distracting
4) Green screen needs more even illumination; there are artifacts showing in places, even on clothing.
5) I think it can often be easier and better to shoot the people in a normal "real" setting rather than try green screen. It also offers possibilities for a bit more creative lighting.
6) The video overall was a bit too dark for me, so lift gamma to raise mid tones if possible. Otherwise increase exposure a little all round

So hope this helps in a constructive way! -:)
Peter
thanks 1 user thanked peterphelan for this useful post.
Damn2Good4U on 11/3/2013(UTC)
Damn2Good4U  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:18:45 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

peterphelan wrote:
I only watched a few minutes of the video but a few suggestions:

1) I liked the intro
2) Lip sync needs to be sorted. At present the audio is out of sync with the video.
3) Plain cuts are better in this kind of chat show context; so I found some of the transitions distracting
4) Green screen needs more even illumination; there are artifacts showing in places, even on clothing.
5) I think it can often be easier and better to shoot the people in a normal "real" setting rather than try green screen. It also offers possibilities for a bit more creative lighting.
6) The video overall was a bit too dark for me, so lift gamma to raise mid tones if possible. Otherwise increase exposure a little all round

So hope this helps in a constructive way! -:)
Peter

Thanks a million for this... will put all into consideration and keep improving...

I am not from media background, doing this out of passion... but with vMix, more practise and help/suggestion from people like you, I hope to get there

Once again, thanks for taking time out to give me this.
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 12:14:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

Could you confirm if the audio issues are related to vMix and if there are things we can improve in this area?

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
peterphelan  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 9:12:36 AM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
Looks like the audio was recorded separately and DV camera(s) were used? It's all very well having the audio delay on your inbuilt mixer, but then you cannot monitor the sound properly, since it's impossible to talk whilst hearing yourself back, say 200 milliseconds later. Such a thing is used as a means of testing for deafness!

You have the same problem if you send the audio back out to the camera(s). Yes you will have lip sync, so things look ok to watch the video; but again you cannot monitor that because of the delay. Can you imagine several cameras all wanting slightly different amounts of delay!

I have solved all this by using a couple of mixers and a Behringer Shark (where 206 ms is added for my GS400) and can now monitor myself and other audio in real time, but the streaming and recording is in sync. Obviously there is delay in what I am watching in the program window, but I can hear myself and the other audio running through my mixer setup, in real time.

But as I said in the StudioTech competition and again in the Feature Requests here, it would make much more sense to me if the audio in vMix was treated in the same way as in VidBlaster, by using a hardware mixer. We could then do normal monitoring, fx sends, channel inserts and Skype mix minus etc.

But I was surprised to see the latest Wirecast 5 still seems to work like vMix and has an inbuilt mixer. So I guess most folk find it ok, and I must be in the minority here -:)

Peter
Damn2Good4U  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 2:43:15 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

@Martin and Peterphelan

Thanks, I guess the audio issue is from me... I have been using Vidblaster for more than 2 years and Audio settings there are pretty straight forward. While setting up audio in vMix, I actually was using my Vidblaster knowledge which of cause was the problem.

One more thing I discovered was the issue of editing an Input.. YES! Editing an Input in vMix.

I thing it will be so good if one can edit the inputs to adjust/correct initial mistakes...

In my case, I did not set up the audio input while setting up the camera inputs... until 3omins or more into the show when I got an sms from a viewer that there was not audio... to edit the camera input and add that bit became an issue... I had to do a quick and new input during the show and start adjusting the chroma keys for the new input... that explain why I couldn't get a perfect picture again...

It could have been just to right click the camera input to edit, and add the missing links...

I hope Martin will look into this...

I just got a behringer Shark FBQ100 trying to figure out how to use it...

Will keep you posted and if you know of how I can do the configuration... I am open to that.

Here is my connection flow:

Microphone --> Behringer Audio Mixer --> i7 12GB PC Win 7 (64) --> Audio Mixer --> External Spk to Monitor phone/skype calls

Skype is yet to be part of the production since i am yet to figure out how to bring in skype videos.

Regards
Rottimmy
peterphelan  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 5:42:47 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Damn2Good4U wrote:
@Martin and Peterphelan

I have been using Vidblaster for more than 2 years and Audio settings there are pretty straight forward.
I just got a behringer Shark FBQ100 trying to figure out how to use it...
Will keep you posted and if you know of how I can do the configuration... I am open to that.

Here is my connection flow:
Microphone --> Behringer Audio Mixer --> i7 12GB PC Win 7 (64) --> Audio Mixer --> External Spk to Monitor phone/skype calls
Skype is yet to be part of the production since i am yet to figure out how to bring in skype videos.

Regards
Rottimmy

Yes, audio is easier and far better implemented in VidBlaster. And I too, am still trying to work out if it's possible to do Skype video calls in vMix and bring both parties into the software. I can use my Panasonic GS400 as my camera for normal calls and get perfect lip sync on that; so the other end sees a great picture! I can also hear myself and the other person in real time. Just need a way to bring in a desktop capture of them! -:)

What mixer do you have? Can you make a separate headphone mix? The Shark will allow you to add the required delay on its way in to vMix. But you'll still need some way to monitor your audio in real time; you'll not be able to simply use your mixer headphones if they can only monitor the final main mix out. You'll be no better off than when monitoring the vMix "mix" and you will still hear the audio with its delay.

I am planning to put together a short video explaining my setup, since it's a bit complicated to explain; but client work will prevent this now for several weeks.

Peter
admin  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 10:57:49 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Peter,

You can do the external mixing approach to audio with vMix as well, it has the flexibility to work both ways.
If you could describe a little how you would like the audio setup, or how you usually configure it in vidblaster I can show you how
to do the same thing in vMix.

Usually you just setup everything in vMix to go to the sound card output, and then select the sound card input in FMLE or for the recording.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Damn2Good4U  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:15:59 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Hello Martin,

Audio in Vmix is just one way setup...

The Audio module appears as part of the preset module and you specify your main audio input (audio card).. which takes care of the rest... you do not have to setup the audio again on each camera input.

Maybe for people broadcasting sport and need spectators noise... individual settings of camera audio input maybe required, but in a situation whereby you have external input and want all your audio to come in via one source... then doing individual camera audio setting is a bit long.

The beauty part of it is, should you forget to specify your audio input, vidblaster would pop up that audio is not set yet and wont allow you to stream until that is done.

Regards,
Rottimmy
fusionplustv.com
admin  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:03:01 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

You don't have to use the camera audio setup method.
In vMix there is an "Audio Input" option so you can add just the single mixer input there.
Then untick the automatically mix audio option so the audio stays on at all times.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Damn2Good4U on 11/5/2013(UTC)
Damn2Good4U  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:26:20 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

admin wrote:
You don't have to use the camera audio setup method.
In vMix there is an "Audio Input" option so you can add just the single mixer input there.
Then untick the automatically mix audio option so the audio stays on at all times.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Thanks for the info... I have another show tonight at http://fusionplustv.com/live at exactly 20:00hrs GMT and I shall try the above...
peterphelan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:00:10 PM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

admin wrote:
Hi Peter,

You can do the external mixing approach to audio with vMix as well, it has the flexibility to work both ways.
If you could describe a little how you would like the audio setup, or how you usually configure it in vidblaster I can show you how
to do the same thing in vMix.

Usually you just setup everything in vMix to go to the sound card output, and then select the sound card input in FMLE or for the recording.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Hi Martin and many thanks for that. I am away on a busy location shoot now, so will outline things asap upon my return, once I have had a chance to look at things again. But basically my recollection was that when you send audio out to the mixer - say from a video that has its own audio - it will be "received" ok, but it cannot be controlled via the sliders of the mixer; its volume still has to be controlled via the vMix inbuilt one. So the mixer is not really doing anything except act as a master "sound card"

I thought I could do as you say and send all audio out to the mixer, mix and adjust as required and then send it back into vMix via a single audio input. I experimented with various options and cannot remember all the details now, but recall getting an error message to the effect the "this mixer cannot be used since it is already in use as an input" It was like a kind of "loop" if you wanted to use audio that was contained within the computer system itself.

I can see that if the audio was "external" as in say a church service which had say a mic for ambient sounds and others for the preacher, the choir etc. All that could be mixed ok in a hardware mixer and then sent into vMix as a single audio input.

What I am trying to achieve is; myself as presenter, where I talk about various items to camera and then switch over to play pre-recorded content and then back again to me and so on. In places I would like to "duck" or fade down the audio of the pre-recorded video audio, and comment on the video content as it plays. To give the kind of effect you might experience if you were sitting alongside me and I was chatting to you and explaining things as we both watched the video content together.

I could of course include all my comments as a voice over in the pre-recorded video, but that would not be so "conversational" a style; more like I had finished speaking and was now just sitting back drinking coffee whilst the pre-recorded stuff played -:) In due course I would like to have a live chat, where I could answer questions - it will be an educational type of show - and be able to pull up suitable content as required to illustrate points or aspects of my answers.

I really hope there is a way to do all this, since I think vMix is great overall. It knocks spots off VidBlaster when it comes to bringing in a desktop capture from another computer. Your little Desktop capture app makes this a breeze. And VidBlaster cannot do this at all; you have to convert the computer screen to a video signal and then bring the content in as a normal camera.

But VB can make a screen capture of the computer upon which it is running. Not sure if vMix can do this? I have not yet tried to run your app on the same computer that is running vMix. Would it get confused by having the same IP entered as its own one! It would allow your Skype caller to be brought into vMix if it could use the same IP address.

Better run; this has turned into way more than intended! -:)
Peter
Damn2Good4U  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:28:26 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

I couldn't get vMix to work today for my live show.. I had to switch back to vidblaster.

I was getting all kinds of error msgs about an audio being in Use... etc.

Inasmuch as vMix is better in my own opinion compared to VB... but the Audio issue is still something I think should be simplified.
admin  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:29:28 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Sounds like some setting is mixed up somewhere, likely specifying an audio device twice somewhere
(which would cause an audio loop, hence why the error appears)
Damn2Good4U  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:16:36 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

admin wrote:
Sounds like some setting is mixed up somewhere, likely specifying an audio device twice somewhere
(which would cause an audio loop, hence why the error appears)

I am not in the office at the moment... I will send you all the screenshots as soon as i get to the PC...

Thanks.
cutter07  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2013 6:06:01 PM(UTC)
cutter07

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Quote:
I thought I could do as you say and send all audio out to the mixer, mix and adjust as required and then send it back into vMix via a single audio input.

This would be a huge benefit to send all the audio to an external mixer while bypassing all outputs like streaming, recording, and then send the audio from the external mixer back to vMix as final audio stream for all outputs (streaming, recording).
admin  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2013 9:29:51 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

There is an "Audio Input" option in Add Input for dedicated inputs.
Or you can select the audio input directly when setting up the recording, you could also do this in flash media live encoder alongside vMix Video.

Damn2Good4U  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2013 9:45:01 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

I got the audio working on today's live show... How I did it, I really do not know but it worked.

But one thing happened.. after the show... the stop recording button wont work.. I had to stop the whole vMix using Task Manager, end process.

But in all, I achieved my stream and I am gradually getting grip of vMix.

Far better than VB "in my opinion..."
admin  
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2013 10:32:48 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

What was the recording format and what happened when you clicked Stop?
Damn2Good4U  
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2013 10:41:43 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

The recording format was 720x576 and nothing happened when i clicked stop

It wont stop.. I had to end the task.