logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
manuelgomezo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 1:19:21 AM(UTC)
manuelgomezo

Groups: Registered
Colombia

Hello!

Im looking for a ULTRA HARD WORK desktop for a University, so we think in future, we have now 3 cameras at 4K output, but in the future we will buy more. We works at setups with "8 cameras" (3-4K & 6-FHD)
We record and stream concerts, soccer plays, conferences.

So the specs for the computer that we are thinking to buy are this:

Win 10 Pro
vMix Pro
2X LG 27UD68P-B. (4K)
1X Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
1X Intel Core i9-7940X X-Series 3.1 GHz 14-Core
1X Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240
1X Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
1X PNY NVIDIA Quadro P5000
1X Frontal SD Reader STARTECH USB 3.0
1X EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 120-G2-1300-XR 1300W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
2X Blackmagic Design DeckLink 8K Pro (8 channels with 4K capability each one)
1X DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder (4 channels at 4K for laptops and aux sources)
1X SHINESTAR Firewire Card, PCIe Firewire Adapter for Windows
1X Samsung 970 EVO 2TB
1X Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
1X Seagate BarraCuda 8TB
1X CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666

So i recently see that the Intel Core i9-7940X only can handle 44 PCIe Lanes, that means that i cannot put all of the capture cards that i would like, check it:
GRAPHIC CARD x16
DeckLink 8K Pro X8
DeckLink 8K Pro X8
Quad HDMI Recorder X8
SSD M2 X4
FIREWIRE CARD X1
TOTAL: X45
Without thinking about others components on the motherboard that can need more PCIe lanes.

Also recently i see another CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X. Cheaper and more pcie lanes (x60), but i dont know if it can works perfectly with vMIX, because i see anothers posts that says that its a wrong choice..
I think an AMD build for 4x4K60 cameras + 8xFHD sources:

Win 10 Pro
vMix Pro
CPU: AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen 2950X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X399 AORUS XTREME sTR4
1X AMD Wraith Ripper by Cooler Master
1X PNY NVIDIA Quadro P5000
1X Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
2X LG 27UD68P-B. (4K)
1X Frontal SD Reader STARTECH USB 3.0
1X EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 120-G2-1300-XR 1300W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
2X Blackmagic Design DeckLink 8K Pro (8 channels with 4K capability each one)
1X DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder (4 channels at 4K for laptops and aux sources)
1X SHINESTAR Firewire Card, PCIe Firewire Adapter for Windows
1X Samsung 970 EVO 2TB
1X Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
1X Seagate BarraCuda 8TB
1X CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666

What do you think about this new AMD build?
Vuurmannetje  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 1:52:42 AM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi there Manuel,

The threadripper does work with vmix, however Ryzen is not the recommended hardware for Vmix, and I would only advice so if it were a multi-role machine also doing other tasks that work well on Ryzen (like some specific rendering programs).

A quick look tells me that you would probably be better off with a Intel system regardless due the high count of 4k Inputs.

NOw the good bit I can tell you is that you have 24 PciE lanes from the X299 chipset (as per intel specs) adding to the 44 of the CPU.
However, the motherboard itself only has 3 slots above 4x meaning one of the 4k cards couldnt be used on full pull. One way to work around this is by using an external PLX PciE hub, allowing you to house 2 x8 cards (or more lower cards) on one slot. However, these cost enough to consider moving some or all I/O into separate systems that only do conversion (about 2ms more latency compared to built-in I/O)
thanks 1 user thanked Vuurmannetje for this useful post.
manuelgomezo on 4/4/2019(UTC)
manuelgomezo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 1:57:40 AM(UTC)
manuelgomezo

Colombia

Originally Posted by: Vuurmannetje Go to Quoted Post
Hi there Manuel,

The threadripper does work with vmix, however Ryzen is not the recommended hardware for Vmix, and I would only advice so if it were a multi-role machine also doing other tasks that work well on Ryzen (like some specific rendering programs).

A quick look tells me that you would probably be better off with a Intel system regardless due the high count of 4k Inputs.

NOw the good bit I can tell you is that you have 24 PciE lanes from the X299 chipset (as per intel specs) adding to the 44 of the CPU.
However, the motherboard itself only has 3 slots above 4x meaning one of the 4k cards couldnt be used on full pull. One way to work around this is by using an external PLX PciE hub, allowing you to house 2 x8 cards (or more lower cards) on one slot. However, these cost enough to consider moving some or all I/O into separate systems that only do conversion (about 2ms more latency compared to built-in I/O)

When you said "moving some or all I/O into separate systems" what would you recommend to me to add to the build? Thanks for reply
manuelgomezo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:01:08 AM(UTC)
manuelgomezo

Colombia

Hi there Manuel,

You said that i have 44-CPU plus 24-Motherboard? Finally i got 68 PCIe lanes? Also in this case, there are another motherboard that can handle this build without external devices?
Vuurmannetje  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:08:22 AM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Yes, thats correct. But the motherboard dictates how many of them are actually available on PCIE.

I havent researched the available boards enough to give you a name. I use an Aorus x299 for my biggest server (with an i9 9800x) which has 6 slots I believe, not sure on exact distribution of lanes but I believe theyre all x8 or higher. But make sure to check specs!
Vuurmannetje  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:11:17 AM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Originally Posted by: manuelgomezo Go to Quoted Post
Hi there Manuel,

When you said "moving some or all I/O into separate systems" what would you recommend to me to add to the build? Thanks for reply

The wonders of NDI are that you can add I/O with almost no latency to a Vmix or NDI based system just by adding NDI sources. There are hardware converters like the magewell 4k that do all in one to NDI, but more cost effective if you already have SDI installed is by using lower spec converter systems, youd still have to research specifics, but one can for example use a 8400f with a single 8k card as the only load and send 4 4k streams into NDI (though you might need a 10gb NIC/network for that depending on exact settings).
JoseL  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:52:29 AM(UTC)
JoseL

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Vmix ndi inputs add 1.5-2 frames latency. How do you get zero?. I get always lower latency with capture cards on vmix.
Other software do not add latency to ndi like vmix. But of course are not vmix.
manuelgomezo  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:59:13 AM(UTC)
manuelgomezo

Colombia

Originally Posted by: manuelgomezo Go to Quoted Post
Hi there Manuel,

The wonders of NDI are that you can add I/O with almost no latency to a Vmix or NDI based system just by adding NDI sources. There are hardware converters like the magewell 4k that do all in one to NDI, but more cost effective if you already have SDI installed is by using lower spec converter systems, youd still have to research specifics, but one can for example use a 8400f with a single 8k card as the only load and send 4 4k streams into NDI (though you might need a 10gb NIC/network for that depending on exact settings).

We dont like NDI for camera sources, we can think it for laptops and another sources.

So, we look that specs finally to build the pc, what do you think about it?

Win 10 Pro
vMix Pro
First Display: LG 27UD68P-B. (4K)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Intel Core i9-7940X X-Series 3.1 GHz 14-Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299-WU8
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240
PNY NVIDIA Quadro P5000
SD Frontal Reader STARTECH USB 3.0
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 120-G2-1300-XR 1300W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
Blackmagic Design DeckLink 8K Pro
DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder
SHINESTAR Firewire Card, PCIe Firewire Adapter for Windows
Samsung 970 EVO 2TB
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Seagate BarraCuda 8TB
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666
Backlit keyboard+mouse
JoseL  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:31:02 PM(UTC)
JoseL

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have a p5000 and i think is better p6000 or rtx5000 if you will use a lot of 4k.
I like quadro because no limit on nvenc, and custom edid. But if you do not need this, better to go 1080ti or rtx2080ti
I personally do not like any hdd on the system, i prefer to use externally for backups and all inside pc ssd or nvme. For nvme try to add some heatsink to help on hot environment.
1300w psu i think is too much, with 800-1000 is enough.
I use 700w psu and never need more than 500w. Big psu is for gaming with multi graphics cards. And vmix actually just use only one card.

Jose.
manuelgomezo  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:10:55 PM(UTC)
manuelgomezo

Colombia

Originally Posted by: JoseL Go to Quoted Post
I have a p5000 and i think is better p6000 or rtx5000 if you will use a lot of 4k.
I like quadro because no limit on nvenc, and custom edid. But if you do not need this, better to go 1080ti or rtx2080ti
I personally do not like any hdd on the system, i prefer to use externally for backups and all inside pc ssd or nvme. For nvme try to add some heatsink to help on hot environment.
1300w psu i think is too much, with 800-1000 is enough.
I use 700w psu and never need more than 500w. Big psu is for gaming with multi graphics cards. And vmix actually just use only one card.

Jose.

P6000 or RTX5000 are really expensive, like 2500 dollars more. We can’t afford it. So, the multiple Nvenc can help us with replays or multicorder for 3 cameras plus program and stream