logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Grimble  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:31:46 AM(UTC)
Grimble

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
With the upcoming multiview feature of vMix 10 and the great shortcuts available within vMix, it might be useful to have 3 or 4 "folders" to organise your inputs. In my own (admittedly limited) broadcasts, I get up to about 20 including all the titles and saved replays I use. Some use cases I can imagine are:

1) Camera/Capture inputs displayed on multiview and switched with keyboard, so don't need to be in the main input area and can be hidden.
2) All delay inputs (and saved delay footage) in a single folder together, so are easily accessible for quick replay
3) Organise pre-rendered graphics and titles so a particular folder can be used during particular parts of the broadcast
4) Hide shortcut-triggered or multiview only inputs away so they don't clutter up the input area (Stingers, replay bugs, that sort of thing)

Basically the intention is to clear the input area so that only the inputs you need at that point in time are in front of you. For instance, in the kind of broadcasts I do, I know in the first segment I'll need my main RTSP feed (My main camera), an intro video, some pre-recorded interviews, league standings and a previous matches graphic, and some lower thirds.

Then once the match starts, I'll need my three RTSP feeds (Main camera + 2 more secondary), Video Delay inputs of those three feeds, a scoreboard, some lower thirds, and access to my replay stinger. In vMix 10 I'll probably have the RTSP feeds through the multiview, so won't need to see them in the input area most of the time. Most of the time I'd want to have the delays and the saved footage from the delays all in reach.

And again at the end I'll have my main RTSP feed, some lower thirds, the saved footage for replaying, updated league standings and an upcoming matches graphic and an outro video.

So for me, I'd use 3 or 4 folders to organise my broadcast, and help keep the input area clean and uncluttered.

Does that make sense?

Cheers!
Grimble.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:32:29 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
+ 1
I have alluded to this before and agree that it would help with "Screen Estate".
Well thought out Grimble!
However,I also believe that the development of a functional and programmable hardware switcher may reduce the immediate need for such modifications to the GUI if it can be set up to accomplish the objectives you outline.

Ice
Grimble  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:51:51 AM(UTC)
Grimble

I'm personally unlikely to purchase a hardware switcher, much though I'd like to, so I'd rather have improvements to the core program for now. :)
fenki86  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:34:00 AM(UTC)
fenki86

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
+1

Folders to organise the various inputs would be amazing.

Even though with the upcoming vMix 10.1 it is getting better regarding the saved Delay-Clips there still are a lot of other inputs which could be organised.
admin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:18:41 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
I'm looking into some sort of input organising feature for a future release.

One possible idea is to have a colour coding system with Red, Green, Blue and All toggle buttons.
All would show all inputs as they are now and the other buttons would show inputs that have been allocated to a particular colour.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
fenki86 on 9/23/2013(UTC)
fenki86  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 5:04:50 AM(UTC)
fenki86

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
for me that should work as well

one colour for the "Standard"-Inputs, one for Titles of the Home-Team, one for the Titles of the Away-Team.

Would be great to get such a feature...
admin  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 7:04:36 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

This is what it looks like at the moment.
To move an input to a colour category, drag it over the button.

What do you guys think?
admin attached the following image(s):
colourcoding.jpg (42kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
peterphelan  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 7:41:09 AM(UTC)
peterphelan

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
yes Martin I think that would be a very good idea. With a bit of planning, (say a show notes worksheet or "running order" that allowed you to quickly see when to bring up the next relevant set of inputs and hide the current ones) you could then drastically reduce the number of inputs that needed to be on show at any one time.

Peter
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 9:34:26 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
How are the folder colours affected by and/or different from the program and preview colours?
admin  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 11:21:18 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

The folder colours are completely separate, the colours above each input remain the same depending on active/preview etc.
Grimble  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:44:18 AM(UTC)
Grimble

That looks great Martin. Maybe also number the tags as well, so Red-1, Green-2, Blue-3 etc, and have the number superimposed on the button. That way a rundown or workflow can reference the tag easily. Also, extensible so you could have up to say 9 colours/tags.

Also, could an input have multiple tags? So if you have an input that is shown in the Red set, it can be in the Blue set as well.
hawkmm  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:54:21 PM(UTC)
hawkmm

This is my first day of really getting to know vMix and some of its quirks. (I'm a VidBlaster convert.) Working with many inputs (overlays and spots for playlists) creates an endless scroll of sources, which when you're needing to find something fast, isn't going to happen. Being able to organize the inputs by folders (as well as control the order inside the folder) would be super.
admin  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:19:47 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Take a look at vMix 11 where this feature is now available:
http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=1428