logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shawntempesta  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 11:13:56 AM(UTC)
shawntempesta

Groups: Registered

Alright, I'll try to explain everything that is going on here and maybe one of you has dealt with all of this before. I've played with vMix at home, which worked great. Now I'm not working on my network, and I have to comply with the engineer.

In order to get audio from our soundboard (all IP on its own VLAN) I need one network cable. I will get that audio via Dante virtual sound card. But that's all I'll get from it. They don't want me streaming or running NDI cameras on this VLAN.

I will need to plug in another cable from our general internet network which will provide the box the ability to plug NDI cameras, along with internet access to stream out. They have a very limited number of IPs for this network and are saying they cannot give me dedicated IPs for my NDI cameras (all PTZOptics). PTZOptics cameras have an IP tool that allows you to flash the camera with a new, fixed IP. Does this work on the local end without them assigning me an IP? Would just a dedicated IP for the computer itself on their end suffice?

Did not want to have two separate networks as I'm sure it complicates everything, but wanted to see if anyone has worked with two like this, and how dialing into vMix Social has worked for you?

Question is should I have two network connections (one for audio, the other for NDI and Internet) or three (one for audio, one for internet, one unmanaged switch for NDI).

If anyone understands what I just said, I appreciate your help. Thank you!!
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 5:20:31 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 564 time(s) in 446 post(s)
Get yourself a router and a good switch

Set this router's WAN port with one IP address in this radio network > this will bring you a gateway for internet access.

Set this router's DHCP server to create your own production LAN, it will give IP addresses to all the devices connected to your switch

Plug all your devices. Now they can all communicate together on your own LAN and they have access to the internet

Now one more issue : the VLAN for Dante. 2 options:
- if your router is good enough (needs 3 NICS) it can be set to be part of this VLAN and routes all traffic so that your entire LAN has access to the VLAN.
- otherwise just set your vMix computer (or another computer from your LAN) to be part of this VLAN with a 2nd NIC

Done!

Guillaume

PS : for a good router, check pfsense that you can install on an old computer. You just need 3 NICS.

PS2 : always create your own LAN for video production, never expect it can run nested in somebody's else network.

PS3 : French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre once said "Hell is other people"... He's right ! If you rely on radio network, it's hell. If you rely on yourself, it's pretty simple.
Vuurmannetje  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 7:59:48 AM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
If money isn't too big an issue, you can install a rednet card into the system to use as your audio interface. Basically a NIC that shows up as an audio interface and takes in Dante at ultra low latency.