logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Speegs  
#21 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 5:47:16 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
It was around $600 Aud for the single channel digital modulator linked about a year ago. The company listed mostly deals with installers so more of a wholesaler. Get in touch with them they are friendly and help with advice. You may be best to find someone in your area. The quality is great just like a digital tv channel coming in from your antenna. 20mbit h.264 from memory. RG6 cable seems right for the job. Quad shielded is best maybe that is what you have.

Getting the country settings and best frequencies setting takes a bit of time but once that is set, it's a box that does one job.
Speegs  
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 6:25:00 PM(UTC)
Speegs

1080i50 is the signal that works for me. Tried Progressive but some TVs do not display a picture if it's not interlaced. They see the channel and you hear the audio. Makes sense most broadcast TV is interlaced.

Works on Full HD 1920x1080 TVs and HD 1280x720 panels (they downscale just like they do for free to air TV).

You have to watch your "safe margins" like your do when producing video content for TV. Most TVs have a overscan border. Different brand TVs seem to be slightly different in the safe margins.

TV signalling is different in various areas, so you need to look up the frequency tables, set your internal broadcast station to a frequency that doesn't conflict with your local stations. I run an Antenna into the system too. I want the local "free" stations down the same coax cables and splitters.

Coming from an analogue modulator setup this is a great upgrade as chances are you have everything in place as long as your cables and splitters are digital tv compatible. Many hotels, pubs and clubs use this digital modulator type solution. Often they have many channels in addition to the ones coming into the Antenna. With the appropriate license from the PayTV provider it's a way to send without a set top box at each TV or Room. So well tested, it can have problems but they mostly relate to bad wiring, bad installation or power surge blowing things up (all stuff has that problem).

IP or NDI will not be cheaper or easier, if you have the right cabling for this already in place. We have users who don't need to understand rebooting a raspberry pi or mini computer (switching to HDMI 1 input etc). Simple you grab the remote and use it like your TV @ Home :) No training required for the end user.

Some new TVs have ethernet ports and support IP TV natively. Those are usually more expensive TVs (I use cheap TVs). If you have those I would definitely work with Samsung/LG/Sony or whom ever does the IP part of your existing TVs. I use many brands of TV, what is on special essentially. They get a rough life in horse barns, so yes they get damaged often. The TVs are often replaced as they are broken by water damage, horses or people hitting them, accidents mount and unmounting them from walls. Old age, dust, the elements and corrosion (salty on the Gold Coast) etc..
Speegs  
#23 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 6:31:33 PM(UTC)
Speegs

I use IP for digital signs, I also use NDI to get things into Vmix. So I guess I've tried all solutions.

Digital signs are best on IP because I want to be able to change each TV to the content I want, when I want. I don't want to "broadcast". If you want to blast the same signal to many TVs, consider the tried and tested old fashioned digital modulator solution.

IP would be better if you need to send wireless as in no coax possible to all the TV locations.
DWAM  
#24 Posted : Sunday, May 28, 2017 6:22:15 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Thank you Leigh, I didn't know these modulators. Can't seem to find any in Europe so far, will investigate more.

@bentzmi
Just in case, I already worked with these HDMI extenders by AGPtek. They do the job just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/A...AT6-Single/dp/B00TO8SX7G
- 1 Tx for up to 253 Rx
- 1 Tx + 1 Rx = $73
- 1 Rx = $39 (x5 = $195)

Then you just need Ethernet and HDMI cables.

Guillaume
RichShumaker  
#25 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 8:57:26 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Thanks for this thread and especially the diagram.
It was and is very useful.

Many people use Raspberry Pi's as Media Centers.
I also am exploring using the Raspberry Pi with my vMix but I am in the early stages.

My goal is the ability to play a vMix stream that the Raspberry Pi can see.
I already have the Raspberry Pi's streaming Standard Definition camera images to vMix.
Which is the reverse of what we are talking about and I only bring it up to say Look Ma' I got something to work, heheh.

The cost to headache ratio for using a Raspberry Pi is high.
I have spent quite a lot of time getting something to work before on the Raspberry Pi so please keep in mind your time is valuable.

The solution above is a real time saver.
Buy Boxes, Plug in and Test, deploy cabling, deploy and test.
Should only take most people a weekend to get several runs set up and working properly.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Rich Shumaker
Speegs  
#26 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 12:59:37 AM(UTC)
Speegs

bentzmi wrote:

What is the image quality when you go this route? Is it indistinguishable from the hdmi source?

It will depend greatly on the quality you set on the digital modulator (you can adjust the quality in mbit/s). If you set it too high I found some older TV Tuners don't like it. So as high as an average Full HD TV can decode is my answer.

I'd say the picture is good enough for viewing, not for color grading. It's the same as what you would see if you asked the local TV Station to put your HQ Video file to Air over Full HD.

It's not going to be better than ProRes, but encode some footage single pass 10mbit/s to an MP4 using H.264 and I'd that is roughly what you would expect.

Maybe this will help, explain more about TVs in general: http://www.acma.gov.au/t...Unravelling-the-standard

bentzmi wrote:

Looks like all of these websites want me to login to see pricing - what kind of price range for the transmitter? $500'ish? We're running composite video everywhere, but I think it's using RG6 coax. I wonder if the existing video amplifiers would be able to transmit the digital signal.

Search ebay for a digital modulator, sorry I shouldn't "promote" specific products on this forum. I've seen some now under $300 Australia for a single channel.

This is just another way of local video distribution, it works well (Latency 1-2 seconds is common). It relies on having/wanting TV antenna cabling internally, goes a decent distance and you can amplify the signal if you need more distance. Then you are adding your own high quality channel to the wire. That's about as simply as I can put it.