logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 23, 2016 7:56:25 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

Is anybody else having issues with the load times of presets on projects, particularly large projects. I have a project with 8 live video inputs, 8 live ASIO inputs, and 150 VT's, Graphics, Stills, etc - it takes over 15 minutes to load the project. I accept that as everything is pre-cached / loaded, the bigger the project the slower it will be, but 15 minutes seems a 'little' excessive. It actually takes even longer to load under VMIX17, so much so that I had to roll back to 16.

Any Ideas how I could speed things up?

Keith
stigaard  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:31:32 AM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Wow - 15 minutes loading sounds crazy!

The worst I've tried was about 30 seconds (perhaps up to 1 minute), due to RSTP inputs that was offline (and therefore waits until timeout, 30 sec for each I guess).. Usually it loads my preset with 60-70 (all types of) inputs in under 10 seconds.

Do you have a lot of inputs which is offline?
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:30:42 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

My inputs are all hosted inside the one box. Inputs 1 - 8 are all physical cameras (SDI), the Next 8 are ASIO audio inputs using M-Track Eight. There are then 56 Video Clips (Average duration 30 seconds each), the rest are 3 x Flash Apps, 1 x Desktop Capture, 24 Stills, 8 sound fx, and then 12 or so multi-view compositions made from previous inputs.

I don't have any RTSP streams, or other streams - but I do have 3 Flash files - but they don't seem to make much (if any) difference if I replace them.

I have noticed that VMIX is much quicker loading a preset, if that pre-set has been previously used. i.e cold boot, run vmix, load preset, wait 15 mins, close VMIX, run VMIX, load preset, wait 5 minutes.

It all seems very random.

Keith
admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 9:54:14 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi Keith,

Try the append test where you click Open to browse for the preset then untick one or more inputs then click append.
This will allow you to run some tests and isolate the inputs causing the delay.

My guess is the delay comes from loading all the video clips from disk. You might be better off moving some of these into a List input instead.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Rinsky  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2016 9:48:13 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Have the same problem right now and found the reason for the long loading time.

I have 3 image sequences in my production and they to take waaaay to long to load. Is there any way work around to reduce the load time besides leaving out the image sequences?

Regards,
Patrick
Rinsky  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2016 8:31:32 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

My 3 image sequences consists of 400, 400 and 150 png images with alpha and have the same resolution as my production.

They are used for overlays (Kisscam animation and stuff like that..)

Don't know what you mean with "use triggers (delay) to switch the background source at the appropriate time"
Rinsky  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:21:24 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

I just had the same thought, but didn't Martin say that it's better to use image sequences instead of .mov videos, when using alpha channels? Or was he just talking about stinger transitions?

My images loop, so I hope that there won't be a short pause between the loops when using .mov
admin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:20:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Image Sequences are loaded entirely into memory when opening a preset.
This ensures that you can play them back with very little CPU usage, and with perfect looping, whereas MOV Alpha formats such as PNG, Animation or ProRes can use upwards of 20% CPU even on a high end machine.

Thus Image Sequences are always recommended where possible for alpha animations, only down side is the extra load time when opening the preset.
If you haven't tried already, putting all preset media on a fast SSD (Samsung 850 Pro series works well) will improve load times as well.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Rinsky  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:25:15 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Hi Martin and thanks for your reply.

I just found the problem and it was all my own fault.

Each PNG image had a file size of about 7mn, when rendering with Blender, which culminated up to ~2.5GB per animation, which was way to much data.

I compressed the PNG images and now each one has a file size ~300kb and Vmix preset load times increased a lot an are now at ~20 seconds.

I was using an Samsung 850 Pro, but even this very fast SSD is not fast enough for such file sizes.

So if anyone else has that same problem:

I tried a couple of PNG optimizer tools and a lot of them deleted my half-transparent areas to get a smaller file size.

The best program was PNGQant/PNGoo with high quality results, all half-transparent areas still intact and it was also very fast.

Here is the download link:

https://pngquant.org/

And yes, it's free.
thanks 1 user thanked Rinsky for this useful post.
sinc747 on 10/5/2016(UTC)