logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Potimus  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 7:46:00 PM(UTC)
Potimus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
what is the entry cost for a computer that can run vMix Pro with replay for 4 cameras and stream. I have a budget of $1000 for hardware so that would need to include the SDI card or some way of getting the feed into the computer.

Thanks
Maximus  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:04:27 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi,
For a 4 Camera Replay you will need 4 inputs and 1 output. A BM Decklink Quad is $995.00. I expect they are some cheaper alternatives but I suspect $1000 in Hardware including capture card may be on the low side.

Regards
Potimus  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 8:19:00 PM(UTC)
Potimus

Maximus wrote:
Hi,
For a 4 Camera Replay you will need 4 inputs and 1 output. A BM Decklink Quad is $995.00. I expect they are some cheaper alternatives but I suspect $1000 in Hardware including capture card may be on the low side.

Regards

Any ideas on what the entry cost would be?
NiBTour  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 10:04:00 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Potimus wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Hi,

Regards

When you say 1K for hardware are you talking about cam's as well? Or just the vMix box? I guess it would depend on what your shooting and your environment. You could save some cash in the beginning and go with HDMI or USB3 instead of SDI but than again with the limitations of those two it might be a waste of money. tell us about your project and maybe we can help. I just spent 12 weeks putting together a tight little mobile rig and did everything from USB3 (cheapest) to HDMI and then finally settling with SDI. I've also used the cheapest of cheap equipment at first and learned the hard way why it isn't always smart or financially responsible to go cheap :|

what's your project and requirements?

-King
Potimus  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:13:32 PM(UTC)
Potimus

NiBTour wrote:
Potimus wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Hi,

Regards

When you say 1K for hardware are you talking about cam's as well? Or just the vMix box? I guess it would depend on what your shooting and your environment. You could save some cash in the beginning and go with HDMI or USB3 instead of SDI but than again with the limitations of those two it might be a waste of money. tell us about your project and maybe we can help. I just spent 12 weeks putting together a tight little mobile rig and did everything from USB3 (cheapest) to HDMI and then finally settling with SDI. I've also used the cheapest of cheap equipment at first and learned the hard way why it isn't always smart or financially responsible to go cheap :|

what's your project and requirements?

-King

It will be to cover HS sports so football, soccer and basketball mostly. I have cameras and bought a copy of the pro version. I just need the computer and hardware to hook it up. I hav JVC 600's so both SDI and HDMI output but given the runs needed for football I am going to say SDI is the best option.
sinc747  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 1:33:16 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
$3500 is probably a good number.
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 12:07:27 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Potimus

"Entry cost" is kind of a tricky question to answer given your objectives and parameters.
So it's a bit of a 'misnomer' to ask about "Entry Level" hardware for a reliable 4 HD-SDI input rig for $1000 or less (unlikely to be achievable)
vMix will work on an i3 laptop with an integrated graphics card, but will likely struggle with multiple HD inputs (if you can even find a way to get them in on such a unit) and would definitely NOT be a recommendation for your purposes.
I would look towards an i7 and the highest end nvidia graphics card you can afford. (Which will most likely blow your budget right there).
Next, SDI is definitely the better route to go, and although there are multiple options for you, there are not going to be any "great bargains" there either (typically you are looking at $200-$300 per HD input, which again eats up your entire budget with 4 HD inputs).
If, on the other hand, you are not tied to HD and your cameras are able to output SD over RCA, the magewell XI006AUSB USB3 capture box might be the best bang for your buck with a mid range i5 laptop, but that is probably as close as you'll come to a 4 camera "Entry level" rig that is anywhere near your $1000 budget.
There is a reason the vMix GO is priced as it is, it's a turnkey tested solution for a certain percentage amount more than what you could probably build yourself (if you can do that sort of stuff).

Ice
aqu  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 4:34:43 PM(UTC)
aqu

Maximus wrote:
Hi,

Regards

Blackmagic has just released DeckLink Duo 2 card with 4 inputs/outputs (independently configurable as input or output) and it costs only 455€ (probably 499$). It also supports 1080p60 so if your cams can provide 60p it will help you with slowmo.

https://www.blackmagicde...klink/techspecs/W-DLK-31

I have no experience on vMix slowmo with multiple cameras but I quess that 1000€ is minimum for just computer without capture cards.

You should also note that slowmo replay needs a lot fast storage so 1 Tb SSD (~300$?) may not be overkil.