logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fortsquarechurch  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:29:09 PM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

Groups: Registered

Hi all.

Next year, we are planning on upgrading our sound system at my church and at the same time would like to add video portion to it.

I am planning on building a computer for the vMix portion on our media upgrade.

Could someone tell me what hardware I need to build a computer for this project?

We are talking about between 2 and 5 cameras using HD-SDI connections.
We have yet to pick a brand for it. We would like to make the SDI port be one of the PCI slots on the motherboard.

We also want to connect the sound board to vMix so what kind of audio card do I need?

What graphic card do you recommend? What wifi card would be best? we would like to have the option to connect an Ethernet Cable to the computer to connect two PCs so we can get a desktop capture of the PowerPoints.

We were thinking of doing a Hard Drive of possibly 2TB for storage and a 250GB Solid State Drive for the primary drive to hold all the software and current files and actions and also the Operating System.

Is Windows 10 Pro a good OS?

What else do I need for this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Zach
Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:51:50 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
fortsquarechurch wrote:
Hi all.

Next year, we are planning on upgrading our sound system at my church and at the same time would like to add video portion to it.

I am planning on building a computer for the vMix portion on our media upgrade.

Could someone tell me what hardware I need to build a computer for this project?

We are talking about between 2 and 5 cameras using HD-SDI connections.
We have yet to pick a brand for it. We would like to make the SDI port be one of the PCI slots on the motherboard.

We also want to connect the sound board to vMix so what kind of audio card do I need?

What graphic card do you recommend? What wifi card would be best? we would like to have the option to connect an Ethernet Cable to the computer to connect two PCs so we can get a desktop capture of the PowerPoints.

We were thinking of doing a Hard Drive of possibly 2TB for storage and a 250GB Solid State Drive for the primary drive to hold all the software and current files and actions and also the Operating System.

Is Windows 10 Pro a good OS?

What else do I need for this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Zach

Hi,

We have a system we use for 5-7 camera's, and playback of 2 videofiles.

It has an i7 2600 k processor (don't think it's still available, but you could look for something comparable)
16 gb ram (we almost never reach more then 5 gb ram usage, so I think you can get away with 8)
Asus pz68 deluxe motherboard (again, not available anymore, but you can find something comparable)
Nvidia gtx 950 : just enough to handle 5-7 cameras
I would go for an SSD for playback of media files
And a spinning disk if you record in mp4 (7200 rpm should do the trick)
On top of that just add a Yuan capture card, 4x sdi
and a decklink sdi for the 5th camera.

A system like that you should be able to build around 1500 - 2000 usd maximum.

If you're smart though, and have the money, you better invest in something with a bit more power. It will take some time, but for sure the standards are moving towards 4k. If you can afford it now, try to invest in a processor with 40 lanes, and a faster chipset. This way you can capture 4k later without rebuilding the whole system.

As for a soundcard: we have many, but the focusrite i2i is perfect if your sound comes from a mixer.

Windows 10: works great, haven't had any stability issues yet.

If you're streaming, i would advise against using wifi. It's not as stable as an ethernet connection in my opinion. Most motherboards have 2 ethernet ports, so you could use one for desktop capturing and the other for an internet connection.

fortsquarechurch  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:59:46 PM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

Thank you ittadv.

We were thinking of purchasing a license of vMix HD, is that going to work with 4-5 cameras with SDI input?
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:55:25 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Yep, that license is perfect for 4-5 inputs.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:38:15 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ fortsquarechurch

As with most things PC, your options are almost overwhelming so do your research well...
1st things first, establish your specific needs (which you have pretty much done) vs your wants (sometimes you can have them both, but often, budgetary restraints will force your decision).
Secondly, outline the components required to fill those needs which will determine somewhat the kind of budget you will need. This is where a lot of the important and difficult decisions need to be made. Building the "best of the best" can get very expensive very quickly, so knowing where to compromise and by how much might keep you from going over the top. Keep in mind, though, that higher end components might cost significantly more but will likely provide better performance and stability than building to the bare minimum standards.
Once you narrow down which components you are partial to, it's important to insure they are all compatible with each other (some capture cards do not get along with certain Motherboards etc.), so this is where research can really pay off. If you are up to the challenge it can be worth the effort but it's not always as straight forward as most of us would like. Building your own system may very well save you some significant coin if you know what you are doing, but it can take a lot of time and effort to "get it right" vs buying from known vMix partners who have a vested interest in seeing you succeed.
Although the vMix GO does not give a list of it's specific components, you can probably use it as a reference point for the type of costs to expect in building with mid to high end components, the important thing to remember is that there is no single solution that will fit everyone's needs and wants, and to some extent that is the beauty of vMix, you can build as you grow and even develop some of your very own unique solutions. Personnally, from my perspective, I would be looking at an i7, NVidia x70 or better with an AJA or Magewell 4 x HD-SDI capture card for starters.

Keep us all posted as to how you are progressing.

Ice
fortsquarechurch  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 4:59:24 PM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

@Ittaidv

How many cameras is the maximum amount you can add on vMix HD?
fortsquarechurch  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:01:11 PM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

@IceStream

Is it possible to buy a Dell Precision Tower and add hardware? I know the specific series is great at adding new RAM and a second Hard Drive and is flexible in adding new PCI slots.

Should I look at that type of Dell Tower and just add parts to it?
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:02:04 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ fortsquarechurch

The biggest issue with buying brand name PC's is you won't necessarily know the specific MB and/or GPU you are getting, not to mention bloatware and proprietary tweaks made by the manufacturer (many of the big guys deal in such high volume that they have custom components made specifically for them that may differ slightly from the open market counterparts), so although you are most likely to be fine, you could possibly run into compatibility or performance issues that are not readily perceivable at the outset, and then who do you turn to for support? (Dell says 'that system is not designed for that' and BMD says 'our card doesn't work with that chipset' sort of thing)
I don't mean to scare you off of the idea, just want you to be aware.
If looking for an 'Off-the-shelf' solution, I would be sure to inquire about it's "Gaming" performance and expandability options (since vMix relies heavily on GPU Gaming Technology consider it as a high end video game). If it meets those standards then you will likely be fine with 4 to 8 HD video cameras hooked up with vMix.

Ice
Ed Tech  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:07:04 PM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Technically, vMixHD can be configured for 1,000. So you'll never run out of inputs.

In regards to off the shelf computers, remember that the system needs to be fairly consistent all the way through. To buy a minimal processor and add a ton of RAM and hard drives might leave you a little disappointed. Yes, upgrading RAM and hard drives are good, just make sure that the performance of all the components are fairly consistent so that you won't create performance bottlenecks.

Remember that vMix was created so that the video card does a great deal of the processing, so I wouldn't cut corners here. Make sure to check the Supported Hardware tab under Software on the vMix website.

Hope this helps a little
fortsquarechurch  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:49:59 PM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

@ Ed Tech

Is there any off the shelf models you recommend for the best performance?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:17:30 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
@fortsquarechurch

If you do look at off the shelf models, give some thought to finding out if they have a proprietary power supply. Always better to be able to put the power supply brand of your choice in if you need a replacement down the road.

There are vMix users using HP Z workstations with dual Xeon processors. Perhaps they will weigh in. On the more "consumer" oriented systems, HP puts unnecessary and annoying software on their machines as IceStream pointed out.
fortsquarechurch  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:32:58 PM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

Okay, if I do, is it possible to uninstall all the unnessesary software and only keep what's needed?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 2:43:57 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I disabled it through msconfig, so I don't know if can be removed entirely. If someone on the forum has successfully removed it, hopefully they will give you a definitive answer.
fortsquarechurch  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 8:35:52 AM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

Okay, also is it possible to go Live in an ongoing basis on YouTube and have videos show on YouTube via a video list?
Kelvin  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 9:19:39 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Yes, that is possible on YouTube. You may run into copyright issues with any music where YT mutes the audio on your replays. Also, if there are breaks in the connection, each break creates a separate YT video. I once did a 3 day/10 hours per day webcast with spotty internet connection. Ended up with about 20 different videos with some of them overlapping (go figure?). For YT video on demand, it may be better to do your own recordings and upload later after the live show.
Kelvin  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 9:29:28 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Not sure where you are located, but MicroCenter has a house brand computer they sell that typically uses more off the shelf type components. Here's a nice example of a system using a GTX970 video card. MicroCenter PowerSpec Gaming Computer Link

You can go to the specs and research all of the components. I have used PowerSpec computers in the past with good results.

fortsquarechurch  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 9:44:40 AM(UTC)
fortsquarechurch

We were thinking of possibly getting a CCLI that includes videotaping the music part of the service. Does YouTube recognize these licenses?
Ed Tech  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 11:43:00 AM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
There are multiple licenses from CCLI. Normally, the first is the church copyright license which covers live worship and the abilty to make a few copies of the service (not including any prerecorded songs or tracks).

The do have an additional streaming license to add on to the church copyright license. For churches running less than 200 in regular attendance the price is $60 annually.

Hope that helps.
thecloudmediagroup  
#19 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 4:35:12 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
fortsquarechurch wrote:
We were thinking of possibly getting a CCLI that includes videotaping the music part of the service. Does YouTube recognize these licenses?

The normal CCLI does not include online video I don't believe. Our church had to get a separate license from CCLI that included video and worship on our podcasts, I would call you rep.

If you want more info on streaming workflow for church, feel free to give me a call or email. Our church streams every Sunday with all our sermon series and archives on YouTube. www.youtube.com/covenantinlandnw Would love to help any way I can with cameras, streaming, scripture/lyric overlays, CCLI, ect.

-Seth
208-661-0851
Seth@TheCloudMediaGroup
kjones9999  
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 8:56:38 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I really struggled with this when I started Vmix. I am attaching the specifics of a system I have built twice now. The only things extra you would need is the case, PS and video card. I am currently using an NVIDIA card with 1 gb of ram. You would need to add more minirecorders -- I have 2 here-- had a third already- for however many inputs you wanted. We record and stream at 720p60 and cpu stays in the single digits. Dells, by the way, are not going top work for the most part.

Let me know if youi have any questions.