logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chap  
#41 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 10:10:37 AM(UTC)
Chap

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello.

There is a new task called vMixNDIHelper.exe which first does not consume any CPU power but then start to use 23-30% of the CPU power even I have not NDI enabled.

Tested with vMix 17.0.0.67

Chap
joe1378  
#42 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 8:51:24 PM(UTC)
joe1378

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Youtube streaming only color bars bug.
YOUTUBE STREAMING COLOR BARS

JOe1378
joe1378 attached the following image(s):
color bars.png (37kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Rinsky  
#43 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 9:36:57 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
NDI external output seems to be always active (if it is checked in the external output options, of course), even when the "External" button is not activated/red.

Is it meant to be that way or should it be possible to turn NDI off with the external button?
admin  
#44 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:17:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Rinsky wrote:
NDI external output seems to be always active (if it is checked in the external output options, of course), even when the "External" button is not activated/red.

Is it meant to be that way or should it be possible to turn NDI off with the external button?

That is correct. NDI is designed to be "connection-less" in the sense that it should automatically start in the background
when some other systems want to view it.

In this way the External button is only needed for physical devices.
admin  
#45 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:18:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

joe1378 wrote:

Youtube streaming only color bars bug.

JOe1378

This may happen if you are using "vMix Video" in some other program outside of vMix and the streaming quality settings in vMix were changed, is this the case for you?
If so close all programs and restart and the stream should show the video signal again.

admin  
#46 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:19:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Chap wrote:
Hello.

There is a new task called vMixNDIHelper.exe which first does not consume any CPU power but then start to use 23-30% of the CPU power even I have not NDI enabled.

Tested with vMix 17.0.0.67

Chap

vMixNDIHelper is a "low priority" process that scans for NDI devices on the network and generates preview images for them.
Even if it does use CPU every now and then as a low priority process it will never steal anything from vMix or indeed other applications.
admin  
#47 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:20:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

corporatejames wrote:
admin wrote:
That's odd, looks like a window or display on the system is reporting a negative size.
What are the specs of the system being captured, does it make use of virtual displays or USB display adapters or anything like that?
Maybe try closing as many open programs as possible on it to narrow down the culprit.

Hi Martin. Only had chrome opened and also tried Edge. No other devices attached. Same thing occured with both. Laptop is Acer i5 with 8gb ram Win10. No issues with desktop capture. Works for about 10 secs then I open another website, stops working and get error in log window. No issue with NDI cameras from laptop.

What is the GPU setup like on the laptop? Does it use hybrid graphics of some kind? Maybe running vMix Desktop Capture on the GPU in the Nvidia control in this case may fix the problem.
admin  
#48 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:16:44 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Standalone vMix Desktop Capture applications for NDI can now be found on the new NDI page:

http://www.vmix.com/NDI/

This also includes an update to the Windows app that should hopefully resolve some errors there, it will be bundled
in the next beta update as well.
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 3/26/2016(UTC), ClementN on 3/28/2016(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#49 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:59:00 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
By now I have had time to experiment wildly (meaning rather randomly, not scientifically) with NDI on different desktops and laptops, Win 7, 8.1 and 10.

Generally the NDI part works, although I find it quite taxing on CPU and Graphics card. Typically tried with 1280x720 @ 50p. For example four NDI sources on a moderately equipped laptop, recording and streaming is too much.
Have not tested on our powerful PC's yet, as these are for production. Will do later on.

Not so successful over WiFi (Asus router). But that's not so surprising, given how packed our WiFi band is here ;)

I guess getting a few frame drops here and there is what one might expect. More frame drops when using NDI desktop capture.

I get a feeling that the thumbnails for the NDI sources shown when adding an Input is not properly updated. For example, quite frequently I get a thumbnail from what was in the NDI source's vMix Output long before.

If the network cable is disconnected, the receiver PC's NDI Input video freezes. Upon reconnect audio takes about 15 seconds to get back in sync. But to get video back I have to left-click in the Input's preview to select another NDI source, then select back the proper NDI source.

If an NDI video Input is changed to an NDI audio source, a still video frame remains in the Input's preview.

Regarding latency. I tested listening with a headset, left channel the source PC and right channel the receiver PC. A noticeable, but not unbearable delay. On the border to sound like an echo. But using a second NDI sourced PC for IMAG might not work, due to the added latency. I also did a camera recording of the sender's (playing BBC's sync test at 25 fps) and receiver's screens. Measured the latency to 2 frames (@ 25p).

Small note regarding the NDI desktop capture app. If Window's display is set to show apps etc at less than 100% size, then the text "Ready...fps" in the capture app is not properly resized. Also wonder why max 50 fps is not an option?

Hope this is useful info for debugging/improvements. I am not complaining, rather happy with all the new possibilities :)
LG  
#50 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 4:51:39 PM(UTC)
LG

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
already streaming to youtube for 11hours now!
works great! no crashes yet
Mathijs  
#51 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 7:20:48 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I'm trying to send my 8 inputs over NDI to another vmix, but it maxes out at 5 inputs. When I add another input, the inputs start blinking random and the network traffic drops until I close at least 2 inputs. Then it recovers and I can add one NDI source again and it keeps working.

I did iperf between both systems, they can easily get twice the bandwith trough using iperf.

Cpu usage is below critical levels when this happens. Sending machine 35%, receiving machine 60%, rendertimes under 10 msec. Cpu usage values taken from windows task manager so nothing else using cpu.

I did try with windows firewall off and another gigabit switch.

Do you have any idea where this bottleneck might be? I know if the receiving machine has 60% cpu usage with 5 NDI camera's coming in, there is not much resources left if I would get to 8, but why do I hit a limit before getting there?
admin  
#52 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 12:26:37 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

What sort of CPU is being used on the receive end?
If it has hyper threading 60% may be close to the maximum available and the symptoms mentioned seem to indicate that is the case.
Could also be a GPU limit if the graphics card is unable to handle 8.

corporatejames  
#53 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 3:17:18 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
admin wrote:
corporatejames wrote:
admin wrote:
That's odd, looks like a window or display on the system is reporting a negative size.
What are the specs of the system being captured, does it make use of virtual displays or USB display adapters or anything like that?
Maybe try closing as many open programs as possible on it to narrow down the culprit.

Hi Martin. Only had chrome opened and also tried Edge. No other devices attached. Same thing occured with both. Laptop is Acer i5 with 8gb ram Win10. No issues with desktop capture. Works for about 10 secs then I open another website, stops working and get error in log window. No issue with NDI cameras from laptop.

What is the GPU setup like on the laptop? Does it use hybrid graphics of some kind? Maybe running vMix Desktop Capture on the GPU in the Nvidia control in this case may fix the problem.

thanks martin will give it a try. Laptop has Intel HD 3000 graphics with Nvidia 2.5gb Geforce GT 540m as the secondary graphics card which pretty standard combo on laptops other then higher new Nvidia and Intel GPU's and recent laptops.

---updated---

Same error after selecting the Desktop Capture to use the Nvidia GPU.

System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at vMixDesktopCaptureLibrary.ImageUtils.CopyRGBA(IntPtr src, Int32 srcStride, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, IntPtr dst, Int32 dstStride, Size sz)
at vMixDesktopCaptureLibrary.DXGICapture.Capture(DesktopCaptureData& d, Rectangle r)
at vMixDesktopCaptureLibrary.DesktopCaptureServer._CaptureThread()

It works for about 5 secs and then freezes then the error above. NDI video works great over wifi the for laptops webcam.

admin  
#54 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 4:26:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Try this version:
http://www.vmix.com/down...MixDesktopCaptureNDI.zip
Should say 17.0.0.55 in title bar.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
corporatejames on 3/27/2016(UTC)
Mathijs  
#55 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 8:29:41 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
CPU on send and receive are the same, both Xeon E5-1620 running static at 4ghz.
I did turn HT off for the receiving system and that shows indeed the processor maxes out at four ndi inputs. (did have to activate again because of it)

So this is clear but I have to be honest that I expected more from it. The sending machine is at 30% with 5-6 ndi outputs, while the receiving machine needs a 4Ghz core per incoming NDI stream. Why is decoding so much more intensive compared to the encoding?
richardgatarski  
#56 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 10:21:56 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thanks for the standalone NDI capture app! I've quickly tried it (17.0.0.55) on three PCs.

Low end laptop running Win10. Clearly underpowered, but works. Windows gave me a don't trust this app when starting it.

Decent powered Win8.1 works. Same don't trust warning.

Decent powered Win7 desk top. Works, but on the receiver end I was only offered Display1 and Display 2 (ie no app windows running on the sender). Got some artifacts on the received video. (CPU and render time was far below critical).

For all three, when I played a full screened YouTube clip on the sender, the received video looked like it needed deinterlacing. Running a 50p video in VLC looked as it should on both sender and receiver.

Again noted that the NDI source's thumbnails were not properly updated when I added an Input. For example I saw thumbnails from one of the laptops that was no longer on the network. After re-starting vMix thumbnails were updated.
corporatejames  
#57 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:59:28 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
admin wrote:
Try this version:
http://www.vmix.com/down...MixDesktopCaptureNDI.zip
Should say 17.0.0.55 in title bar.

Hi Martin. Yes can confirm this one works (have a youtube video playing the laptop and no lag. Happy Easter.
Do I replace the one in the vmix directory with this one? or wait until further builds of Vmix 17?

Thanks.
pstuart  
#58 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 8:31:26 PM(UTC)
pstuart

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tried the beta v17 on my Surface Book. Browser device doesn't work, just blank/black screen when I set vmix to use the dGPU. When using the intel gpu it works fine.

Using the intel gpu results in significant lag. The ideal would be able to use the intel gpu and still use the browser feature.
admin  
#59 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 3:39:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

pstuart wrote:
Tried the beta v17 on my Surface Book. Browser device doesn't work, just blank/black screen when I set vmix to use the dGPU. When using the intel gpu it works fine.

Using the intel gpu results in significant lag. The ideal would be able to use the intel gpu and still use the browser feature.

You can use the Nvidia control panel to specify the following application to use the dedicated GPU:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\vMix\browser\CefBrowserInstance.exe"

This program is what is used in the background for web pages.
admin  
#60 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 8:24:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

vMix 17.0.0.69 is now available

Please use the download link at the start of this thread.

Changes and Fixes

* FFMPEG is now the default decoder for MP4 files.
This is due to a bug in the windows player where the next video in the list may not start.

* Many of the more advanced settings are now hidden by default.
This is important because many of these settings either only apply to really old systems
or only need to be enabled when verifying potential GPU bugs.
In particular a bunch of audio settings have been hidden as these can cause confusion for first time users.
There is a checkbox available instead to show these settings, but keep in mind we can't provide support for setups where these settings in particular have been changed from their defaults.

* Fixed some bugs with vMix Desktop Capture when some background programs are running
* Added 50 and 5 fps options to vMix Desktop Capture windows settings.
* Fixed bug with older decklink cards reporting "out of range" error.
* FlipEx is now automatically disabled if a system that does not support it is encountered (mainly older laptops with dual graphics)