logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Code4Sale  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:10:25 PM(UTC)
Code4Sale

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
VMix is unfriendly to the disabled. And it is unnecessary.

Think I am crazy? Read on! There is plenty of value and nothing but truth in this "feature request".

I have asked (so many times) for the VMix folks to please simply use the release notes spot on the website's download page, just to make it a little easier to be a VMix customer.

Is it really too much to ask for clear version numbers for both the main program, and the desktop capture programs, well named files reflecting those version numbers, and the release notes to be documented in the area provided?

In other words:

Release Notes for vMix 14.0.0.6 - 12 October 2014

Bug fixes in VMix. Nothing changed in desktop capture apps.

Then:

Name "vmix14.exe" as "vmix14.0.0.6.exe"

Name "vMixDesktopCapture.zip" as "vMixDesktopCapture14.0.0.6.zip"

Name "vMixDesktopCaptureMac.zip" as "vMixDesktopCaptureMac14.0.0.6.zip"

VMix's lack of concern not only causes excess work for the VMix customer, for the disabled, it creates unnecessary hardship, and in come cases (like my own), unnecessary pain.

VMix has been made well aware of the issue (many times), still and does nothing. Lack of action shows just how little VMix cares.

To get an idea, it goes like this:

1) VMix says there is an update.

2) Close VMix. Go get update.

3) Site says "Release Notes for vMix 14 - 25 September 2014".

ahh... nothing changed there. I have downloaded since then :)

4) Web site says: "Download 14.0.0.6"

5_ Hmmm... What version do I have? Start VMix, get version number, shut down VMix.

6) OK. I need the update. Download VMix. FileName "vmix14.exe".

7) The file name conflicts with the previous versions. Rename file for the archives.

8) Download desktop capture programs...

9) The file names conflict with the previous versions. Rename files for the archives.

10) Desktop capture programs have no version numbers. Take apart both the current and the past desktop capture programs and preform binary compares to see if anything changed to avoid unnecessary deployments (if possible), because they are not well named, and the VMix folks have a history of posting the wrong files (because they are not well named).

Sigh... This should be so simple, yet it seems to be caused by a lack of brain cells.

Come on Martin, your a programmer, you know the file names should have version numbers to avoid mix-ups!

So I give up $50 to write this (in tears too - it hurts to type!), rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, all because either VMix (Martin) just does not care or the place is just under staffed or mismanaged.

Perhaps if VMix started charging "approved" church's, then VMix could afford to hire someone to properly name and post the files to the download page, or at least write a sentence in the release notes?

It is something to think about! As paying customers, we do pay for that subsidy indirectly.

So, in closing, let me say this post contains 100% fact, and if you simply followed the advice, you would not only help your customers, you would help the disabled.

You would also get something for yourself, since it might prevent your posting the wrong files again.

There. Something for yourself. That has gotta count for something.

Also, thank you for the version update. "Lord" (and you) only knows what you fixed, but I for one am thankful to see you fixing things in the current product, before you jump version numbers with some new features for next trade show.

Afterall, I would sure hate to think that my favorite desktop video app would be taken down by a bunch of money grubbing class action attorneys, dragging you into court for something crazy like alleging that you knowing advertised and shipped a defective product.

I love my VMix... most of it anyway.

Joe
fordry  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:13:11 AM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I don't mean to be unsensitive, but, really???

Vmix requires lots of different keystrokes and/or significant mouse use to be operated effectively and apparently you manage that. The release forum post will usually have info about the minor updates to a particular main version and the stuff is usually just simple bugfixes. If its so difficult to type or use this forum, why not setup voice recognition software or something? Vmix is far from the only software program that doesn't use version numbers in its installer files.
ask  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:26:55 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
How about you look at the top right of the screen on the menu bar, or the about tab in settings.....Or if you really want create your own names on the files as you download them. I am glad you like the program, and want to support it, but perhaps you could be a bit more positive, and dare I say polite, in your comments.
Code4Sale  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:46:25 AM(UTC)
Code4Sale

fordry wrote:
I don't mean to be unsensitive, but, really???

Vmix requires lots of different keystrokes and/or significant mouse use to be operated effectively and apparently you manage that. The release forum post will usually have info about the minor updates to a particular main version and the stuff is usually just simple bugfixes. If its so difficult to type or use this forum, why not setup voice recognition software or something? Vmix is far from the only software program that doesn't use version numbers in its installer files.

Then why have version numbers at all?

Should we dispense with file dates, and the release notes as well?

Seasoned programmers would label this example as "sloppy", and industry standard best practices prove it encourages errors.

As you point out, "other software" has set the precedence for the acceptably of the poor programming practices that you embrace and defend.

There are a few of us out here that were taught at a very young age that saying "Johnny can do it" will never be acceptable excuse.

For these reasons, the values that shaped my character will not allow me to stamp my seal of approval on sloppy practices that fail the test of industry standards, and call it "good" because "Johnny can do it".

But I suspect I come from a different world, where quality was something you proudly put name on, one jumped at any opportunity to excel, and dolling out excuses was never to be allowed.

I enjoy my little world, and in turn, I hope you enjoy yours.

May we both reap the rewards that each of these respective world's bring!

Oh! It is a bit forward of you to even assume the level of my use of voice recognition. Just because I can manage to operate VMix does not mean it is easy for me, or easy for others, but I am happy to report that VMix has even been successfully operated by the blind.

All I am asking for is some sensibility in file names, and a short sentence in the release notes to make things easier for all (and especially the disabled). All I get is brick walls and roadblocks from folks like yourself. Rinse, Repeat.

Joe
Damn2Good4U  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:23:56 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Hi Code4Sale

There's an adage in my language that says "The way you say SORRY or APOLOGISE to a fault, tells whether you meant it or not"

What am I trying to say in essence, if you have been polite enough in your approach of raising your concerns, I am 150% sure most of it would have been addressed by Martins... but you have come across to everyone here as a rebel and someone who's made up his mind to discredit every effort been put into vMix.

Try another approach, a more gentleman approach and you will see that things will start changing for the better.

Yeah! its a good suggestion that you want vMix to be user friendly for the physically challenged people, which of course is an added advantage... but your approach will always throw your good intentions in the trash.

I know and you know, vMix is still the best hence you would have moved on to the competitor, but you still stick up here using that same software you constantly condemned.

Change your approach, your attitude and things will change for you by been constructive with your suggestions and request.

Stay blessed.

Rottimmy
www.fusionplustv.com
thanks 1 user thanked Damn2Good4U for this useful post.
Code4Sale on 10/15/2014(UTC)
Code4Sale  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:25:10 AM(UTC)
Code4Sale

ask wrote:
How about you look at the top right of the screen on the menu bar, or the about tab in settings.....Or if you really want create your own names on the files as you download them. I am glad you like the program, and want to support it, but perhaps you could be a bit more positive, and dare I say polite, in your comments.

Good call on getting the version from the Window's title bar. I simply got it from the large, easy to read, splash screen when I had to restart VMix to find the version number (since the release notes did not indicate any change).

But you do bring up an interesting point. Screen reader's used by the disabled will read the title bar of a window as it gets focus, and having the version number read each time that happens does make things more difficult than necessary for those requiring a screen reader to assist them in running the application.

I know it is hard to believe, but VMix has been even used by the bind!

Know that I'm not saying the whole program needs to be re-written for a few blind folks.

All I am asking for is a little sensibility in file naming, a short entry in the release notes, a version or change note for the desktop capture apps... something... any one of these simple additions would benefit everyone, including VMix.

Any one of these options so very easy, and takes so little time, yet getting the fix has proven impossible. That just makes no sense.

And I apologize for my lack of polite. My posts have been met with brick walls, resistance, more effort has been put into offers to refund my money than spending a few minutes to correct some issues (I am a seasoned programmer, and know exactly just what some of the issues actually required to fix).

In short, yes, I am a bit angry about about getting "lame excuse" as opposed to simple "thank you for taking the time" replies from VMix. My posts stated out here plenty polite, and are simply reactive to what was received back. Costs money to post ya know.

Personally, I think Martin and I got off on the wrong foot, and who knows why... could have been low blood sugar for either of us for all I know.

I am all for forgiveness, turning new leaves, olive branches and the like. I think for this end, all it would take is a short note to start that process.

I am a well known, long time coder in the multimedia industry, sharp as a tack, and have a lot to offer. It is a shame to waste my efforts on negativity, no doubt about it.

Thanks for that reminder.

Joe

Code4Sale  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:33:43 AM(UTC)
Code4Sale

Damn2Good4U wrote:
Hi Code4Sale
[snipped by Joe]
Change your approach, your attitude and things will change for you by been constructive with your suggestions and request.

Stay blessed.

Rottimmy
www.fusionplustv.com

Yes, I have tried that (nice polite etc), without positive result. In fact, I am simply reactive to my previous experiences here.

You won't find me making any excuses. You are absolutely correct in your assessment of my attitude.

In my other reply, I even went so far as offer up an Olive branch.

I have simply lost faith.

And blessings to you as well! Thanks, I needed that right now!

Joe