logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Craig R  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:18:18 AM(UTC)
Craig R

Groups: Registered

I was hoping this was already in vmix but its not something I could find.

I want to find out if I can do away with my Audio Mixer and use the inputs on the cameras

If I have 2 cameras via HDMI/SDI in to Vmix I can have 4 separate Mics, 2 via each Camera's XLR inputs but I can't control each mic with the audio Mixer in Vmix.

Vmix Treats both mics on one camera as a single Stereo input so turns both mic up or down not not separately.

I know I can select left or Right or mono in the Audio Settings but it would be Great if both left and Right channels could be controlled independently then I could have 4 Mics on 2 Cameras or 6 mics on 3 Cameras
and do away with another piece of equipment.

It would be great if the Audio from the Device Could be Duplicated and then just select the left or right channel
Also it would be Fantastic if the Audio Channels could be Renamed.

Thanks
Craig Rennie
Craig R  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 4:45:24 AM(UTC)
Craig R

I did post this in the Feature Request but Thought there must be away of doing this with Vmix 13 so I thought I would post here also

I was hoping this was already in vmix but its not something I could find.

I want to find out if I can do away with my Audio Mixer and use the inputs on the cameras

If I have 2 cameras via HDMI/SDI in to Vmix I can have 4 separate Mics, 2 via each Camera's XLR inputs but I can't control each mic with the audio Mixer in Vmix.

Vmix Treats both mics on one camera as a single Stereo input so turns both mic up or down not not separately.

I know I can select left or Right or mono in the Audio Settings but it would be Great if both left and Right channels could be controlled independently then I could have 4 Mics on 2 Cameras or 6 mics on 3 Cameras
and do away with another piece of equipment.

It would be great if the Audio from the Device Could be Duplicated and then just select the left or right channel
Also it would be Fantastic if the Audio Channels could be Renamed.

Thanks
Craig Rennie
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 6:03:04 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hi Craig,
Typically, if a feature request is already possible to do, we explain that in the request. I am afraid that if you bring up the same subject in two different topics, people get confused about where to discuss it. And potentially miss the solution.
So, I suggest that we continue do discuss this in it's original feature request topic (a good one btw).

Thanks.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 6:09:04 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hmm, sounds like a nice idea. Most likely nothing I will use myself, but I can easily imagine it's value. So it's kind of a +1 from me.

And Craig, there is also a vMix Audio Discussion (general topic). Please consider making short post there that sort of informs that discussion about your feature request here. I know, this is somewhat contradictory to keeping things in one topic. But I believe this exception to be important for those following only the audio discussion...
Craig R  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 7:04:25 AM(UTC)
Craig R

Thanks For Pointing Out the Double Post issue Richard Just did not know if this was possible and I was looking in the wrong areas to set it up correctly.

Craig R
admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 12:10:38 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Would being able to use two faders for left and right within the single mixer module be suitable?

UserPostedImage

Setting it up as an entirely separate audio mixer is a significant challenge, so if all you need
is the ability to toggle a separate fader on and off then this is easy enough to add into vMix 14.

ask  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 4:10:12 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Martin. This is a good solution. On the Master fader you could also include a check box to select stereo or mono output on the stream. That would then allow an input to be physically connected to two sources at the same time.
admin  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 10:47:03 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

ask wrote:
Martin. This is a good solution. On the Master fader you could also include a check box to select stereo or mono output on the stream. That would then allow an input to be physically connected to two sources at the same time.

Can you clarify what you mean by that? Sorry, trying to wrap my head around your description...
Craig R  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 6:41:27 AM(UTC)
Craig R

Martin That Could be a great work around Better than not being able to control the channels separately

Thanks for the reply :o)

Craig R
h2video.nl  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 9:36:56 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
would this also mean i can record left and right channels seperately and later in the recording select which channel to use for final processing.

i am asking this because i have a dual language recording coming up with one channel the translation. i was thinking of using two recorders one for language one and one for the translation. this option sounds like a sollution for the, so +1for me.

if i can record to two discrete channels simultaniously i have one master recording with two languages on L and R channel. but the recording should be dual mono and not a mix.

stefan

and multi channel coming up...
ps see also my post about setting the recording quality / setting the bit rate ( p.e at 320 kbps), should i put that in feature request...
admin  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 9:51:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Stefan,

What you are talking about can already be done.
Assuming two mono microphones, use the pan controls in vMix to pan one microphone source to the left and the other to the right.
The final recording will have them on separated on the left and right channels as expected.

h2video.nl  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:56:59 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

ok, thanks. will check that out.

and will i be able to select the channel to send out in a livestream. so record mono left right and broadcast channel left only (and make that dual mono, but i guess i can set that in fmle...)

stefan
h2video.nl  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:04:04 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

by the way: i noticed in the help files that for audio input only audio input via vmix audioinput is discussed with emphasis in the latency this causes.

inputting and handling audio through the camera has many advantages, such as avoiding latency, an extra level control on the camera, and sometimes a reduction of cables.

also you can record a master audio file on the camera, and i usually set the levels left and right seperately one a little bit higher and the other a little bit lower so i can switch channel if suddenly the signal is louder or reduced ( usually for post processing).

maybe this way of recording could be added to the help pages at sometime...

greetings, stefan