logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
admin  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:21:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
In a few months time, work will begin on vMix 14 with a special emphasis on Instant Replay!

I've created this thread to get a head start on the discussion, so by the time development begins
we will hopefully have a good idea of what users are looking for.

Interface Idea

This is a mock up only to encourage discussion, the final design will be based on user input.

UserPostedImage

Feature Roadmap

Below is a list of what is already being considered:

* Instant Replay will be an extension of MultiCorder.
This means selecting cameras to record from the MultiCorder window and new special file format for the recordings. (based on MPEG-2)

* Recordings will then become instantly available under a new category icon. (A Replay button added to the existing Red, Green, Orange and Purple buttons)

* These recordings will be synced together with a dedicated position bar that controls all recordings simultaneously.

* -10, -20 and -30 buttons will all instantly set the recordings to -x seconds ago and begin playback using the selected transition.
This will allow the instant replay to more easily be used by a single operator.

* Audio! All recordings will have audio as per new MultiCorder audio settings, either input audio or main mix.

* A cut list can be created from markin-markout points and then played back or saved to disk as a highlight reel.

System Requirements

System requirements should not be much more than those needed to run the MultiCorder.
The target disk space is approximately 300GB for 2 hours of 4 full HD cameras.
With the price of 512GB SSDs coming down dramatically, this should make the system affordable.

Modes of operation

The ideal setup would be to run this on a separate machine to the live production, with each camera feed split off from the main mixing system.
This is how instant replay is typically done in the broadcast world.

The quick replay buttons will also be available to allow single operators some level of functionality.

Shortcuts could also be used for a lot of the functions, however some kind of remote interface with video
will not be possible as too much of a burden would be placed on the machine to compress and transfer such large amounts of video over the network.

Your feedback

This is where your feedback comes in, your input on the following will greatly assist our development:

* What additional functionality you would like added
(A core list of key features is what I need at this stage, any non-critical features or wish lists can be discussed after first release)
* How you imagine that feature would operate from a user interface perspective
* General discussions of other instant replay systems and the pros and cons you have experienced with each

Timeline

Some of the basic ground work has already been done, but full development is likely to begin in October with an early 2015 release.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
madness on 7/12/2014(UTC)
rrpro  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:29:20 AM(UTC)
rrpro

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Wonderful!

-Also a quick button to slower the speed like 50% to show quick motion replays
Egriswold  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:21:52 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Support for external control is a must IMO, such as the Shuttle by Conture Design Shuttle V2 and Shuttle Express
Bardos59  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:34:09 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Great Martin....I like how you are developing vMix....I see that you really listen, even if you do not always reply.......you could teach others how customer relations work...(pat on the shoulder)....just also concider my other request for another program....giving us two setups to choose from......and keep the good work up...
pasingshot  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:58:34 PM(UTC)
pasingshot

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It's very nice notice!! I'm excited!

If the new replay system is based on the MultiCorder system, means that at any moment you can access the video and repeat a portion you have not delivered? I mean, for example in tennis: all know how retransmissions are performed, sometimes after playing a point they show us the replay from another angle or camera, but often repeat a point played 20 minutes ago from another camera. My question is: We may make something like that? I suppose it's possible, because it seems to indicate the control bar below. In this picture I don't see the speed control of the replay, I guess I also will be available. That the audio will be available is a great news, if it could be controlled from the same interface would be great (mute or unmute, in my point of view).

Greetings!
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:36:17 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
This is very exciting news indeed. Just a couple of questions.
a) Will this be a replacement of the current Replay capabilities or an advanced supplementary Replay system as part of future MultiCorder features?
b) If ideally suited to be used on a separate machine, (1) does that mean it may have limited usability on a single system operation? and (2) will a 2 machine operation require multiple licenses?

Ice
HighViewSport  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:27:00 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Boy I am really excited about this. Cant wait!!!

My ideas are:

1. Jog control by external device as mentioned above

2. Two channel output. Set up one replay for output A and cue up another replay from a different camera angle with output B

3. Share a recording to social media. Take the replay of goal and instantly post to Facebook or YouTube

4. If on single machine, then allow dual mode where you can add a second keyboard, mouse and monitor to have separate person controlling replays

5. Maybe allow option to which playlist you want to send clip too? You may have a playlist for highlight real, all goals, referee clips etc etc. In a soccer match you may want to film game, game finishes, film ending, shaking hands etc then cut to playlist of all goals with music then cut to company graphics the end. If there is a injury and you need to use time up. You may select another playlist

6. Ability to changing camera angle while replay is playing out to see it from other perspectives

7. Option to rename the clip say Home team goal 1, away team goal two etc.

8. Allow live slow motion control of the replay with say a joy dial. Great for watching back a contentious play like a bad tackle or red card decision or is it a try in rugby. frame by frame viewing

9. Go back live button. Once you have finished making a replay time with in and out points and added the clip to playlist. Simple back to live button to reset to live and ready to make another replay clip

What about looking at this from another angle (excuse the pun)
What about say for a soccer goal. You set output first then scrub back with jog dial or slider and then set in point?

Thanks Bryan
thanks 1 user thanked HighViewSport for this useful post.
lbgaus on 7/22/2014(UTC)
MartinJudkins  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 4:36:10 AM(UTC)
MartinJudkins

Man
Netherlands

Brilliant!
Maybe include a set of Stinger(s) as part of any package.
Replay time (how far back to grab the video) should be highly configurable & which choice of camera file.

Replays to be saved and available for later use.

Available in HD & SD versions.

Grimble  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:51:54 AM(UTC)
Grimble

The changes look great Martin! I take it that as it's a disk based system now, the memory requirements (which can get quite high with multiple HD sources) are now much lower?

One concern I have is that making the feature part of the Multicorder means that video delays will no longer be available to users who don't have vMix 4k. This would be a massive shame as its an excellent feature to have available on the HD version.

You say that the network requirements would be too high for a separate system using a network connection - What about using 10G ethernet? I've considered trying to do something with Multicorder output files (saved locally on a RAID) then shared over a 10G network, and using the API to add them in as inputs with in and out marks for replay. I think 10G is probably up to the task for that purpose for a couple of 1080p sources, probably not multiple 4k streams though.

smudge1977  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:56:45 PM(UTC)
smudge1977

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds fantastic
Want to be able to do a play list of clips and transitions between clips
Effectively make it an EVS system!! With slow motion and fast motion on each clip...

Just need a good punchy control surface - guess this is almost getting to be a different product..?

Thanks for all the hard work :)

Keith
Kelvin  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:57:39 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
If this new system will save the video files for the entire duration of a broadcast, that could be an issue. I often do broadcast waterski tournaments for an entire day. That much video for multiple cameras will fill the hard drives quickly. It would be great if the system could save sychronized clips (as is the case now) and provide a mechanism to clear the drives of the remaining unneeded footage on regular intervals. That was a significant issue when I was considering an upgrade to a competing product (vdblstr) or switching to vmix.
coskel22  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:48:32 AM(UTC)
coskel22

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
"The ideal setup would be to run this on a separate machine to the live production, with each camera feed split off from the main mixing system.
This is how instant replay is typically done in the broadcast world."

That is correct. Does this mean all broadcasters who are using it on 2 machines would have to carry 2 licenses?

Also, how would that IR feed back into the main vMix setup?
krassesPferd  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 2:30:31 PM(UTC)
krassesPferd

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Martin,
This seems to be a huge improvement. Highlight-clips with audio are great.
Really looking forward to use this magnificent feature

Regards,
Yannick
HighViewSport  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:53:26 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Hi Martin,

Setup was:

1 x Director and 1 x Replay person

1 x vmix PC
3 x cameras coming in
1 video delay for replays
1 x main monitor, 1 x multi screen monitor
1 x keyboard for director to run switching using F1, F2, F3 etc
1 x keyboard for controlling main vmix screen

All works very well. Nice simple setup.

The issue however was when a goal happened in soccer. The replay person set save to start video delay and at the same time the director as still switching from camera to camera after the goal. Getting those close ups from all other angles. Simple!

The problem was the replay person could not cue the replay up because it kept watching away due to directors switching to other camera angles. When the replay person had replay in preview, trying to set start point then bame, it would go away due to director switching.

The video delay really needs some way of being independent or somehow maybe have option to disable switching from preview.
Sure the quick fix is director stops switching. That will work but not really a perfect great solution.

Has anyone else come across this or have a fix. Sure, I can have 2 x Pcs but really want solution for one pc.
Hope I am making sense!

Cheers
Maximus  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:07:42 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
In my experience, replays works best when used on second PC. It takes the pressure off of the Director and the PC that is the primary broadcast machine. I understand that for smaller and more cost effective solutions, having everything on one system is advantageous, so maybe Martin can come up with a Hybrid Solution.
Adriankey4  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:22:34 PM(UTC)
Adriankey4

Man

Hi Martin

Love the idea but could you call it vMix Replay if it is going to be a stand-a-lone software in which it could be linked up with the Director's PC via ethernet but if not the name could remind.
lbgaus  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:43:45 AM(UTC)
lbgaus

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
An additional feature that would be incredibly useful for an instant replay system is the ability to draw diagrams on screen with a mouse/touchscreen pen-style tool, in addition to any sensible options for manipulating the appearance of the pen.
curtismacd31  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:41:02 AM(UTC)
curtismacd31

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Martin,

I love the idea, we currently use vMix in a couple simple setups for Horse Racing. What if you had a 2nd replay PC that did the replays but the output was a virtual one. Meaning you could add that input to vmix like desktop capture or a stream. This way you're not using a physical input on your system or need to use a router to change the inputs.

Another idea would be a clip list via Web interface, with this someone on a separate computer on the same network could watch a proxy clip and rename any clip or even build a Playlist that could be available to the replay system

Just my 2 cents. Haha

love the new beta of vMix13,the key/fill is a very welcome feature.

Curtis
j1mco  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:26:16 PM(UTC)
j1mco

In our scenario, we'd like the commentators to have the ability to trigger the capture of a replay moment to it can be used for analysis later on.

So I guess the ability to easily a) trigger the recording remotely b) somehow title the recording for identification and c) trigger a playback or queue too.
The ability to pause and forward/rewind remotely too and speed playback would be awesome. A full remote control panel maybe?

We've seen there a limited ability through the current XML, so we've been toying with a HTML form, but the playback additions and an official app would be great.
HighViewSport  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:28:53 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Hi Martin,

Could you have the new replay system just reference time code once you mark a in and out point instead of saving a clips.
Still allow all the features like adding to playlist, slow motion, renaming etc.

I would imagine this would add a few advantages like, save on pc resources, make things faster, and we would not miss the time while the video delay is saving.
Would still need the ability to scrub back in video while recording which I guess maybe the issue! Not sure?