logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David1127  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2022 12:32:25 PM(UTC)
David1127

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi. Our church have been using vMix for 2 years now and appreciate all the powerful things it can do.

I am by no means a tech guru or any in my church for that matter. However, we have been slowly upgrading our tech booth and learning new things. We are currently using a desktop PC (Ryzen 5800x, rtx 3060ti, 16Gb DDR4 3200 CL14 dual channel RAM, windows 11. We are in the process of trying to use a laptop in the future for an additional small studio setup.

Im wondering if vMix will officially support other GPU's like radeon RX series and the upcoming intel ARC lineups. It would be nice to know if vMix will support those platforms to provide users the freedom to choose what desktops/laptops hardware components we can use depending on our budget. RTX graphics are expensive; and usually comes with intel CPU's (for laptops) which I know for a fact runs hotter and louder in most cases.
hsteppke  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2022 7:59:23 PM(UTC)
hsteppke

Germany

I would count on it.
And in my own interest I would prefer if there development resource won't be split to support 2 Vendors.

So go for a AMD CPU but NVIDIA GPU,
I get pretty good results on Lenovo P series Laptops.
paco3346  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2022 9:23:30 PM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
What do you mean by compatibility? vMix runs just fine on Radeon cards (and even integrated Intel chips).

Sure, you don't get hardware encoding but what, specifically, are you looking for?
David1127  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2022 7:05:27 AM(UTC)
David1127

United States

Originally Posted by: hsteppke Go to Quoted Post
I would count on it.
And in my own interest I would prefer if there development resource won't be split to support 2 Vendors.

So go for a AMD CPU but NVIDIA GPU,
I get pretty good results on Lenovo P series Laptops.

I do like ryzen CPUs coz of its efficiency, especially on a laptop.
David1127  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2022 7:24:42 AM(UTC)
David1127

United States

Originally Posted by: paco3346 Go to Quoted Post
What do you mean by compatibility? vMix runs just fine on Radeon cards (and even integrated Intel chips).

Sure, you don't get hardware encoding but what, specifically, are you looking for?

The key phrase is "officially support gpu hardware". In their youtube videos and website, the official gpu hardware supported is nvidia graphic cards only. I am not tech-savvy enough and confident to buy an all amd laptop and say to myself "I can 100% guarantee it will work".

I have nothing against nvidia. Their product is awesome. However, laptops with nvidia gpus are generally more expensive compared to radeon gpus.

I am hoping they will "officially support" amd and intel gpus in the future so buying options will be a lot more diverse, and cheaper too.
paco3346  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2022 8:45:45 AM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
In many of the vMix FTLs (Fun Time Live shows) they've mentioned that the nVidia GPUs are the only "official" ones because that's what they test on. They've also acknowledged that most all other GPUs will work (heck, I've run shows on laptops with Intel graphics with great success).

I get you may want the warm fuzzies of a Radeon card being official but I can say that it'll work.

There are even reports of users who found that their Radeon cards were doing hardware encoding.
https://forums.vmix.com/...celerated-encoding-doubt

At the end of the day what really matters is how well the GPU is supported by .NET 3.5 & WPF (the underlying windows libraries that power vMix and make it Windows only).

tl;dr; Personally I wouldn't hesitate to buy a non-nVidia laptop on which to run vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked paco3346 for this useful post.
David1127 on 6/21/2022(UTC)
David1127  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2022 10:44:08 AM(UTC)
David1127

United States

Originally Posted by: paco3346 Go to Quoted Post
In many of the vMix FTLs (Fun Time Live shows) they've mentioned that the nVidia GPUs are the only "official" ones because that's what they test on. They've also acknowledged that most all other GPUs will work (heck, I've run shows on laptops with Intel graphics with great success).

I get you may want the warm fuzzies of a Radeon card being official but I can say that it'll work.

There are even reports of users who found that their Radeon cards were doing hardware encoding.
https://forums.vmix.com/...celerated-encoding-doubt

At the end of the day what really matters is how well the GPU is supported by .NET 3.5 & WPF (the underlying windows libraries that power vMix and make it Windows only).

tl;dr; Personally I wouldn't hesitate to buy a non-nVidia laptop on which to run vMix.

Thanks for the link and response. Much appreciated.
Vicam  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2022 3:44:26 AM(UTC)
Vicam

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just received a new laptop with an Intel Arc A370M and a 12th Gen Intel processor. vMix will work in general, but I can't get the NDI inputs to work in it. If I run Studio Monitor from NDI on the laptop it shows the NDI inputs fine. They also show up fine in vMix on my desktop with an nVidia graphics card.

I did some searches and it showed that this Intel Arc was in many cases a better performer than the RTX3050, with was in the previous version of this convertible with the 11th Gen processor. NDI states their tools will run on nVidia or Intel GPUs.

I am quite disappointed that the NDI inputs don't work on this, especially since it works in Studio Monitor. The NDI output does work, just not the input.

I even tried it with the latest version from NDI. Even though vMix says they include the latest version with vMix 25, they are only including the NDI 5.0.10.1 dll. The latest is actually 5.1.4.0, you just need to rename the runtime to what vMix expects and replace the vMix dll. Doing this I have been able to get NDI HX inputs working fine even on my vMix 21.

Therefore, if you plan on using and iPhone or Android devices and camera inputs I would suggest staying with the nVidia graphics card. I wish vMix would fix this. But at this point I am regretting going with the non-nVidia graphics card.
thanks 1 user thanked Vicam for this useful post.
David1127 on 7/29/2022(UTC)
David1127  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2022 7:10:59 AM(UTC)
David1127

United States

Thank you for the intel GPU update and appreciate your research and input. I kinda imagined that intel would be somehow compatible with vMix due to its intellectual property and massive army of software engineers they have.

I am still quite disappointed in vMix in general because they don't officially support other graphics cards (namely AMD), but they have their reasons. They should seriously add for support for other gpu hardware, and any other hardware for that matter so it will be cross-compatible with other platforms.

Here's to hoping?!?!
mjgraves  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2022 7:39:08 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: David1127 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the intel GPU update and appreciate your research and input. I kinda imagined that intel would be somehow compatible with vMix due to its intellectual property and massive army of software engineers they have.

I am still quite disappointed in vMix in general because they don't officially support other graphics cards (namely AMD), but they have their reasons. They should seriously add for support for other gpu hardware, and any other hardware for that matter so it will be cross-compatible with other platforms.

Why would they do that? You should just pay attention to the recommended hardware specs?

A different GPU is not "another platform."

It's not a question of "compatibility." vMix runs on Intel and AMD GPUs. But, in so doing, it leans harder on the CPU for encoding.

vMix was written to leverage specific features on nVidia GPUs. Those other GPUs simply don't have those features.

Now, in point of fact, vMix does leverage the Intel QuickSync encoder. You can have one hardware encode on a suitable Intel GPU. It once tried this with an old Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 1.
Geir Otto  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 7:24:37 AM(UTC)
Geir Otto

Originally Posted by: Vicam Go to Quoted Post
I just received a new laptop with an Intel Arc A370M and a 12th Gen Intel processor. vMix will work in general, but I can't get the NDI inputs to work in it. If I run Studio Monitor from NDI on the laptop it shows the NDI inputs fine. They also show up fine in vMix on my desktop with an nVidia graphics card.

Hello Vicam
Any news with later NDI and ARC driver versions?
admin  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 12:43:49 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Please try installing the latest vMix 26 Preview (beta)
https://forums.vmix.com/...vMix-26-Preview-Released

It has basic support for Arc and Iris Xe GPUs and will resolve the NDI blank issue.

Note that we still do not recommended these GPUs as they are underpowered for what vMix needs, but at least now they will work for basic productions.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 1/12/2023(UTC)
enigmothy  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2023 1:39:22 AM(UTC)
enigmothy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Please try installing the latest vMix 26 Preview (beta)
https://forums.vmix.com/...vMix-26-Preview-Released

It has basic support for Arc and Iris Xe GPUs and will resolve the NDI blank issue.

Note that we still do not recommended these GPUs as they are underpowered for what vMix needs, but at least now they will work for basic productions.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Would vMix work with Xe graphics and newest i5/i7 on a laptop if we are trying to record 4 simultaneous 720p recordings via recorder and multicorder (one fault-tolerant and the other 3 as mp4)? Or is that asking too much?