logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davesuemcbride  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:24:57 AM(UTC)
davesuemcbride

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi Martin et al,

I'm just starting with vMix, so please excuse if you've had these questions before, but is there any way for consumer RTMP devices (LiveShell / LiveShell Pro / VidiU / etc) to 'push' streams over WAN to vMix, at least other than through an intermediary like Wowza? I saw your announcement about MPEG-TS input support coming in V10, which will be great for Cube / Bond / Sputnik owners electing for the addional TS license, but my understanding is that still leaves low and middle-tier solutions that need to connect over 4G unserved. It'd be great to have Wowza-like RTMP service built into vMix.

I've had some success using Wowza as an intermediary, but on a Cube 220 at least I did notice that the input appears to be lost in vMix when Cube's start / stop button is used. Wowza seems to handle the stream starting and stopping OK, at least from Wowza's Flash RTMP sample player. vMix however seems unable to recover the stream unless I close the input and reopen. This may not be a huge issue for many users, but for the events I have in mind I'd be cycling through 3 cameras over a five minute period, repeated about 80 times over a weekend, so starting / stopping the streams will be a freuent need in order to save on dataplan costs and workstation load. Is there a way to configure a retry interval on RTMP ingests?

I really like the features and usability of vMix so far - it's a great implementation as well as a great value!

Thanks,
David McBride
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:31:37 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi David,

RTSP (or MPEG-TS) is the recommended way to bring in remote streams to vMix, so using the RTSP output feature in Wowza is probably your best option.
The RTSP feature should automatically detect a lost stream and restart, are you not seeing this behaviour?

Adding an RTMP server would be a huge undertaking and would likely cost more per license than the price difference between the VidiU and the Cube anyway.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
davesuemcbride  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:48:45 AM(UTC)
davesuemcbride

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks Martin,

Tried RTSP - closer anyway - main difference is that under RTSP no connection error message is displayed - the video simply freezes, which is fine. Based on a few quick cycles however it didn't start back up when I restarted the Cube's stream. Is any additional configuration necessary for vMix to automatically detect a lost stream, like a retry interval?

STOP THE PRESSES! During a couple of longer tests vMix did recover the lost stream - looks to be a consistent and near-exact 6 minutes from streaming restart to live video resuming in vMix. In the first test it was a clean, albeit long recovery. In the second test there was an initial recovery at 6 minutes, then a minute or so of unexplained freeze, a very quick 'connection error' (or similar) message, then an ongoing recovery. In this second test the video source was emitting a stable non-moving image (a menu of recorded videos) at the 6 minute recovery point, so may not quite have been a 'real world' test case.

Any way to configure a shorter delay? In my own selfish case I'd think 3 to 5 seconds would be good ;)

Thanks again,
David