logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chillico  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 2:14:50 AM(UTC)
Chillico

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The new vMix Call opens up a whole world of possibilities for remote guests, remote halftime shows or even having co-hosts in different studios as Tom showed us by being a guest host on the PTZOptics weekly show.

I had a thought about how this could be used as a base for another new feature for vMix. One that could offer a great solution to an all too common problem for those of us trying to do multi camera productions. Camera operator talkback or communications. Yes there are off the shelf solutions now but they are very expensive and out of reach for most streamers.

What I'm envisioning is basically adding up to 4 crew camera "calls" where the camera operators use small tablets with headsets to see what the director wants them to see, broadcast output, selected camera feed, text, even a tally light instead of video feed could be possible. Using USB or Bluetooth headsets the camera operator could talk to the director and other operators on one of the non broadcast audio channels. I had thought that the crew calls should only work over the local lan however there is also value to having a remote crew member being able to stay in communication during the production too. Example would be the remote camera operator / producer at the sports bar with the halftime show commentators. Being able to communicate with the director before, during and after their segments would help the productions go smoothly.

Crew audio feeds are not to be broadcast but part of the operations allowing non talent crew members a way to communicate all within the same mobile system. It would also be cool if the crew audio could be recorded into a separate file with broadcast video but crew audio instead of the talents for training.

This feature would be invaluable to me as I'm heading into semi-pro football season and have minor league basketball in the fall. Now we use our phones but this would offer a much better solution. I do know that I could get the Pro version and dedicate 4 of the 8 calls to crew. However I'd love to see vMix add additional calls that are already setup for crew operations. Would open up a new world to a lot of folks.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 3:13:14 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Chillico

I will make 2 or 3 reservations about this as I had the same idea weeks ago and been thinking about it. However it's already possible to experiment on this and might be a good solution in some situations

- first, vMixcalls have a real impact on CPU load.
- it might require a solid Wifi infrastructure especially when doing sports like football or soccer, or athletics which are played on large fields or when the production is not directly on the field (in the stadiums stands) but rather using an OBVan outside or in a room under the stands. Alternatively the use of cellular is always problematic in stadiums.
- I personally don't want my cameramen to look at anything else but the game, so I wouldn't use the video feed (which requires a tablet and also a separate switching for ext2). Sticking to audio on smartphones is enough imho.

As a complement I will say that it's pretty easy to build your own talkback system (we call it "intercom" here) for $50 with a Raspberry Pi using a Voip server like Asterisk. I did this years ago for some productions with low budget, it works very well. The RPI is limited to 10 concurrent calls. A regular computer can handle 50 calls easily.
The principle is to install Asterisk on the RPI and to create a "conference" room. Then the crew uses a SIP or IAX2 client software like Zoiper which runs on computers (Windows, Mac, Linux) but also on devices (WindowsPhone, iOs, Android) and join the conference. It is full duplex and very easy to use and is not limited to cameramen only as other guys in the crew can use it also in the control room or backstage. On smartphones it runs in the background when a browser is opened for tallies.

Regards,
Guillaume
Siroki  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 3:37:12 AM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I tried few crew communication systems..One was professional and expensive but it need cable from operator to camera and its two way communication.
Second was walkie talkie (I bought it) but its quite tough to work with because you need to pick up talkie and push PTT to talk, and also they are too cheap so quality is not so good. (in another way whem you look its ok solution whem you need to communicate to cameras, it was very useful to me in some events that we streamed)

The best one I had tried was on my production for TV station of two soccer games. Its not expensive solution and it works great. The only negative part is that cameras cant talk to the operator but in this situation they don't need to talk (if we look cheap but nice solution).

Its radio transmitter and recievers. I was thinking to buy this before I tried it because I didn't know that we will use it in this production. Just buy some small power transmitter and cheap recievers, set up some frequency that, will not go far away, and you got cheap but nice solution for crew communication.

I saw on ebay transmitters for 50-100$

best regards
Chillico  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 3:55:49 AM(UTC)
Chillico

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Being able to send the video feed output is half the point to this idea. Without the video you might as well stick to group phone calls since we all already have phones. I already have tablets mounted on all the tripods so for me this solution would require no new hardware and make vMix even more valuable to small production teams who work without budgets.

I would use this as much with operators who are not at the same location as I would with operators that are 100 feet away. I want the remote folks to be up to date on the productions so sending them the video is a requirement for such a system.

I don't come from a TV background so I guess I'm not as comfortable with the traditional ways and like having it all built in. Then again I'm currently a Wirecast user since vMix has yet to make a version for Mac's available and Windows laptops are crap compared to Apple Macbooks. OK that last bit is just my biased opinion but I'm saving up the $3500 needed for a Boxx laptop to do streams with. At that point I will be switching to vMix.

I'm doing the trail now with a HP desktop but I produce sports games not studio talk shows so a desktop solution isn't an option. Too big a pain to setup in the gyms and tiny camera rooms I shoot from.

Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:28:27 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
+1

I like the idea. We sometimes hire cameramen who ask for a return feed, so they can see what is on the program. I can imagine in sports you want cameramen to watch the game, but in some occasions, like for example a show with interviews outside the venue, it's super handy the interviewer and cameraman can follow the program until they are on air, and have communication with the crew in the meanwhile. With a powerful seperate wifi network (which will not always work in every enviroment, but in some it does), or an ethernet cable, this could be a handy feature.

If it could be integrated in the web interface, that would be a great step forward. This way Tally, intercom and return feed are all available over the local network.
321actionvideo  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:44:14 AM(UTC)
321actionvideo

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1

I too am looking for a simple solution to be able to send audio only (live feed and ptt or channel ) to cameras.
AElli  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 25, 2017 5:50:07 AM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I'll +1 this also but, If you using tablets, mobiles, PCs etc. have a look at zello. Works on almost any platform. You can create an unlimited amount of groups either open or closed (access by password) We use it all the time and have groups for camera guys, audio guys, front o house, backstage etc. Also has a plug in module to interface to rf for cross over into radio comms, you can monitor separate groups (switch groups on or off) on the same device use independent volume levels It has even spilled over into other hobbies / groups / friends / communications..
elvis55  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:56:10 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello,
I use five tablet (price 35 .--) with headset. TeamSpeak3 Server on PC. Also works in the private network. Distance is WLAN dependent. For longer distances, or where the tablets can not be used, I use six Walkie Talkie Motorola TLKR T80 with headset.

TeamSpeak3

http://www.teamspeak.de/en

greeting

With the tablets, I also have the VMix Web Tally