logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TeODH4  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 5:08:15 AM(UTC)
TeODH4

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been taking a look at the HTTP API that is available for vMix. I am in the planing stages right now and will be developing a physical controller for vMix. This controller will communicate with vMix over this API. So I have a few requests that are required to make some of the planned features work.

I need to get more status information back from vMix. I don't really care how you choose to deliver this info but I will need it for a few items (eg. <FadeToBlack>Enabled</FadeToBlack> or <FadeToBlack>1</FadeToBlack>). The idea is so I can give some visual feedback on the controller, such as flash the FadeToBlack button when it is enabled, just like the software interface. Or get the value of the 4 transition options, etc. below is a list of the features I would like in the API

- FadeToBlack Status
- Transition 1-4 preset values. I think i can already change these values through the API?
- Record to Disk Status
- Streaming Status
- Playlist Status
- MultiCorder Status
- Triger an input preview (like pressing preview on the input, not the next to air preview)
- I would also like to be able to get the status of this preview, and be able to close it

Besides that I think everything I would like to accomplish with the first model of this controller already exists in the API. If anyone has some ideas of functions that are currently missing from the API let me know.

I will also make a new post under general discussion about the controller itself and some design ideas. So if you are interested, check it out!
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 5:25:25 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

Your controller idea sounds great!
Most of your suggestions should be implemented in the next release.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
TeODH4  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 8:11:29 AM(UTC)
TeODH4

admin wrote:
Hi,

Your controller idea sounds great!
Most of your suggestions should be implemented in the next release.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Thanks a lot Martin! I posted the topic over in general so you can check it out. I personally don't think i will need it for my controller, but it may also be a good idea to provide the current crossfader value as well. In later revisions, I also plan to have faders, and uv meters for the audio mixer so if you can possibly integrate that into the API as well. That would be great.

By the way, congrats on getting the Best OF NAB award this year! I just saw the video on Youtube. Do you have any footage from the demo at NAB? I can't seem to find any videos on Youtube of you guys demoing the software.
Damn2Good4U  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 7:46:10 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
TeODH4 wrote:

By the way, congrats on getting the Best OF NAB award this year! I just saw the video on Youtube. Do you have any footage from the demo at NAB? I can't seem to find any videos on Youtube of you guys demoing the software.

I have requested for the vMix video demo, but nothing has been done, even from users that are using it on a daily basis to help others coming... There's even a show dedicated by one of the rivals for their own software...

I guess the more we work together here as a team the better, so that we can help vMix and Martin be the best... I am saying this cos of my love for vMix...

I love the idea of your controller and won't mind been the first to demo it out...

All the best TeODH4... Solidly behind your idea and contribution.

Regards,
Rottimmy
TeODH4  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:11:08 AM(UTC)
TeODH4

Damn2Good4U wrote:
TeODH4 wrote:

I have requested for the vMix video demo, but nothing has been done, even from users that are using it on a daily basis to help others coming... There's even a show dedicated by one of the rivals for their own software...

I guess the more we work together here as a team the better, so that we can help vMix and Martin be the best... I am saying this cos of my love for vMix...

I love the idea of your controller and won't mind been the first to demo it out...

All the best TeODH4... Solidly behind your idea and contribution.

Regards,
Rottimmy

Well I would like to see the videos. I'm always interested in seeing some demo videos and interviews the the designers / programmers behind the products I support and use myself. But I can imagine that Martin most likely has other more important things he's dealing with at the moment.

Martin,

When you get the chance though I would like to see any video you have of the event. Martin, even if you want to send me some raw stuff I can edit something together for you if you simply don't have the time.

Rottimmy,

Thanks for the support! I'm very excited about this console. Over the next week or so I will be working on the PCB design, and try to get a cad mock-up under way. I have a limited time to work on this at the moment, but it is still a top priority for me. I updated the official thread over in general with a Photoshop mockup, let me know what you think. This is more of a side project at this time, but depending on the demand for the product I will pursue this full time.

I strongly feel that vMix is really going to start picking up some ground soon. Especially when we get some consoles out there, I think we will see a higher adoption rate. The only thing that can compete in price at the moment is Blackmagic's ATEM line, and it simply does not have all the features that vMix has to offer. Especially for users who do not have standardized inputs, it can get expensive pretty quick when you have to buy a bunch of mini converters. At that point its almost worth paying the extra bucks for a Tricaster.

Anyway, I feel vMix has huge potential, I hope to be apart of its growth.

Regards,

Wayne Hartmann
Henny  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:27:59 PM(UTC)
Henny

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
One annoyance in the api I think needs looking at is when you are sending text to more than one field in a title you have to send separate requests for each Field so a graphic with 6 fields needs 6 separate http requests

Cheers
manuol  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:36:56 AM(UTC)
manuol

Hi,

I'm too hoping for API enhancements... that would be great !

I already use an external physical controller while testing vMix (via MIDI + MIDI to API translator, yes that's a bit wird but it works !), but I still can't use vMix in real live shows because of the lack of a few functions :

- +1 about the need of "Status information" :
* Current position of the "Position Control" in preview window
* Current playback speed value of the clips

- and also a few more functions :
* playback speed control of the clips (something like "SetSpeedValue", to control the playback speed faders)
* control of the "Alpha" levels of the inputs ("Alpha" slider in "Colour adjust" tab of the input settings)
* fade to black "level", to manually control the fade out of a video clip.

I saw V10 will include API enhancements, particularly around external control... I'm excited about that, and will test as soon as a preview version is available !

Once again, thanks Martin for all that great work.

Emmanuel
macjaeger  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:41:43 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
manuol wrote:

This one is available, although not directly: in the status-output you find xml-attributes "position" and "duration" for all inputs, and further down node "preview" tells you which input is currently in preview.

I also hope for api-improvements in the upcoming v10, my external scheduling application relies heavily on the api. The main goal should be: anything that can be set manually by mouse or keyboard, and any value that can be read from the gui should also be accessible via api. Of course i know that this is a lot of work, and most settings or readouts won't ever be needed from the outside... so let's gather all stuff that _is_ needed - Martin has been very forthcomming this far!

manuol  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:48:36 AM(UTC)
manuol

Quote:
macjaeger wrote:
Quote:
manuol wrote:

This one is available, although not directly: in the status-output you find xml-attributes "position" and "duration" for all inputs, and further down node "preview" tells you which input is currently in preview.

Yes, I found that trick yesterday... I will code the little "XML decoder" to get this information as soon as possible (hopefully next week), being able to control clip position will seriously enhance the external control !

Quote:
macjaeger wrote:
The main goal should be: anything that can be set manually by mouse or keyboard, and any value that can be read from the gui should also be accessible via api.

+1 !
But of course I agree with you that's a lot of work, that's why I only requested the ones I needed... but yes, that would be ideal !
macjaeger  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:28:17 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

I hope i didn't mislead you: this way you'll only be able to read the positions, it's not yet possible to set the positions via api, and according to martins list it also won't be possible in v10 as well.
manuol  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:00:58 AM(UTC)
manuol

macjaeger wrote:
I hope i didn't mislead you: this way you'll only be able to read the positions, it's not yet possible to set the positions via api, and according to martins list it also won't be possible in v10 as well.

Unless we don't talk about the same thing, it IS possible ! I use the SetPosition function, and it works.

I only needed to go a step further : I need to increment / decrement position (by 0,5s step, for example, which can't be done using the mouse), that's why I was looking for a way to get current position => I think using the XML status will do the job. Many thanks !
macjaeger  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:44:37 AM(UTC)
macjaeger

Wow, thank you! Somehow i missed this function... cool to have!