logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Maximus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:07:50 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Can anyone with experience using the PZTOptics 20x sdi Gen 2 camera say how the image quality compares to other cameras such XF205, XA35, EX3, Panasonic 250 or similar camera. I am trying to get a sense of the quality before ordering.

Regards
Maxi

peterpan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:21:53 PM(UTC)
peterpan

im also curious, their own salesvideos look terrible with crazy colours, why dont the use proper lightning?
Maximus  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 6:48:54 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Hi Guys, is anyone using the PZToptics camera for Broadcast that can give some feedback? I have searched the the forum and the web without success. I am looking at purchasing 3 but I am in the Caribbean and returns after paying duty is not ideal. (I won't get the duty back).

So are they any PZToptics users that can provide any feedback on image quality for Broadcast use?

Maxi
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 11:19:53 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
If PTZ Optics wants the sale here's what I would propose...get them to put up the camera you'd like on a vMix system and make it available to you. You can join in via vmix call and have a live demo.
NiBTour  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 1:02:57 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
If PTZ Optics wants the sale here's what I would propose...get them to put up the camera you'd like on a vMix system and make it available to you. You can join in via vmix call and have a live demo.

that's a great idea. i in the past asked for real world examples and was told to search youtube and lets just say i wasn't happy with what i saw so i too would love for them or someone to chime in. thanks!
Ittaidv  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 2:08:53 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Depending on what you use them for, ptz cameras are always tricky to buy.

I had countless demos with chinese brands, and have been looking at a Kato cam for a long time.

Problem with demos is that they do them in an office, with sufficient light, and via the web you can't judge well the image quality due to compression.

If I were a ptz brand, I would capture images in all kinds of situations: low light, concert,.. and make them available in prores as a download.
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 5:57:32 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Paul Richards, the PTZ Optics guy, does a weekly show. He's always creating new videos. He has the lights to do it right. He' in the US so time zones and languages shouldn't be an issue.

I'd just get in touch and have him take you through a demo of the camera(s) you're considering. Yes, you'll be seeing them through a compressed path, but it will still be useful.

It'll be better than looking at YouTube clips since you'll be able to ask him to zoom in/out, pan around, etc. He may be able to give you remote access to the PTZ controls.

You can always ask him to refer you to someone who owns one of the cameras. They contact them for their comments. Maybe they would show you the product, like a user review.
Maximus  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 6:21:51 PM(UTC)
Maximus

I have spoken with their sales Department and I have watched Paul Richards' show on Youtube, but never when it was live, and I am not excited by the footage. It is unclear to me if it is the compression for Youtube or the source recording. Your suggestion however has merit and I will ask them to supply raw footage for review before I purchase.

Maxi
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 5, 2017 2:58:45 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
In low light these cams are not good in my opinion:

I would only use them in controlled enviroments.
chester  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 5, 2017 8:06:07 AM(UTC)
chester

I have the PTZOptics 20x SDI model and use it each week for our church service. I also have a Sony HXR-NX30U, and a GoPro Hero 3.
The Sony and GoPro are mounted low on tripod on Sound Desk, and the PTZOptics is mounted on the wall above the door. Switching is done via Black Magic TV Studio.
We stream in 720p to Youtube. All of the cameras come into the mixer at 1080i.
You may view the footage at https://www.youtube.com/...dventistChurchNorthLake.
Shots that look like they are from a balcony are the PTZOptics camera, the lower point of view shots are the Sony camera, and occasionally a superwide will be the GoPro.
The difficulty is in getting a good color match between the different cameras. I am currently using both the PTZOptics and the Sony on the Incandescent presets with some tweaking of the PTZOptics to get the current color match.
I can set the PTZOptics camera to have better low light performance than the Sony, but don't because I want the cameras to match as closely as possible in color space.
I find the PTOptics camera very acceptible for the price range.
Chester
screamn  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 5, 2017 1:53:09 PM(UTC)
screamn

We have this model PTZOptics camera and we use it in multi-camera live switch coverage of events. The PTZ camera is 'OK'. The image quality is pretty good but the challenge is getting the image to match the other cameras (canon XH-A1 and JVC GY-HM200). We can make some color space adjustments in Vmix but when covering an event where the lighting is changing often this can be challenging. The PTZ camera auto-focus is pretty solid but it does hunt sometimes, again when the lighting is challenging and changing. Because of it's limitations (compared to a manned camera) we mostly use it as a wide-to-medium cover shot. If you were only using one (or more) of these cameras on their own, and not trying to match them with other cameras then I think they would be just fine.