logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinc747  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:09:30 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 162 post(s)
For guests that are not running vMix on their end, is there a way to allow them to share their screen?

- Tom
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:29:01 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Tom

many webRTC providers have this feature enabled but I don't think we can do it with vMixCall.
It has to be developped natively in the webRTC application as it uses browser specific development and specifications (which are all different).

There are also chrome extensions like this one. But it is not compatible with vMixCall as each WebRTC service is specific and developped over a proprietary platform.
https://chrome.google.co...ioekjnpfekmjhpgkackcajhg

But you can still use any WebRTC platform with vMix, as you did before...

Maybe there is a screen capture utility somewhere that could output to a virtual device to be used as a webcam replacement, but it wouldn't be a clean switch anyway. I never found one...
jpeg2RAW  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:32:52 PM(UTC)
jpeg2RAW

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
+1

We do a photography podcast and the guest often shares their screen to demo an editing technique. Sometimes this is planned and sometimes it just happens. For the planned screen shares, we could go back to Skype, but using vMixCall would mean the impromptu screen shares would not be an option at this time.
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:14:06 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
DWAM wrote:

There are also chrome extensions like this one. But it is not compatible with vMixCall as each WebRTC service is specific and developped over a proprietary platform.

The whole idea about WebRTC is that it ISN'T a proprietary platform. It's based upon standards.

That said, there are many services providers who offer Platform-as-a-service, providing their own APIs that leverage WebRTC and their service.

DWAM wrote:

Maybe there is a screen capture utility somewhere that could output to a virtual device to be used as a webcam replacement, but it wouldn't be a clean switch anyway. I never found one...

On Windows SparkoCam does this. On OSX there's CamTwist.

These can be taxing on the host PC. Also requires the guest to be quite engaged & skilled.

DWAM  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:35:58 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
The whole idea about WebRTC is that it ISN'T a proprietary platform. It's based upon standards.

Yes proprietary is not the appropriate term I agree. Sorry for that, english is not my mother tongue.
However despite W3C governance over the standard, interoperability is very weak amongst platforms and most extensions are related to a single platform and not compatible with the others.

Quote:
On Windows SparkoCam does this. On OSX there's CamTwist.

Thank you for that
Nick Davidson  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 1:30:35 AM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 2:00:14 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Most WebRTC-based services offer some kind of screen sharing. It typically requires a browser extension be installed in Chrome. This is a security issue. It requires that the user accept the browser extension, thereby acknowledging that the screen will be shared.

There are scads of examples of how this is done on github. It shouldn't be difficult.

My understanding is that the Google WebRTC team has done a lot of work lately to improve screen sharing.
PopisDad  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 5:48:37 PM(UTC)
PopisDad

+1
Speegs  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 7:54:05 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Seems to me there just needs to be a webrtc capture client, that is like Vmix Desktop capture, but instead of NDI output. It outputs to Vmix Call.

So if the user wants to send "the desktop" they just download and open the helper program. Anyway just a suggestion on how to solve it, rather than try and complicate Vmix Call, add Vmix Desktop Call Capture as another program. I don't imagine that would be too hard for VMix to code, since they have the components :)
Speegs  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 7:57:27 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
On second thought, the NDI capture might be better to have an additional option in the menu to send to Vmix Call (as another caller) and ask for the pin. Might be simpler. Anyway I'm sure Vmix will have heaps of other stuff to work out with Vmix Call.
corporatejames  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 9:14:52 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Yeah try Sparkocam as mention above to turn your desktop as a webcam
https://sparkosoft.com/h...-desktop-as-webcam-video

But built in would be good so will add a +1
admin  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 10:12:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi,

Guests will need to use vMix to do a dual desktop capture / camera setup in vMix 19.
At this stage the desktop capture / camera switching support of browsers such as Chrome is still in its early stages
and not reliable enough for my liking just yet.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
corporatejames on 2/24/2017(UTC), sinc747 on 2/24/2017(UTC)
corporatejames  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 10:29:51 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

Guests will need to use vMix to do a dual desktop capture / camera setup in vMix 19.
At this stage the desktop capture / camera switching support of browsers such as Chrome is still in its early stages

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Yeap thats exactly what I thought, But know you will be on top of it when it does become available and its reliable.
sinc747  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:02:06 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 162 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

Regards,

Martin
vMix

So, here we are, nearly a year later. I wonder if there has been any changes in Chrome to make this reliable enough to implement?

- Tom
David_in_Philly  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:16:22 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
+1
rowby  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:14:50 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hello Everyone

For screen sharing with vMix Call I am using Teamviewer’s relatively new program called Blizz. Http://www.blzz.com. It’s made by Teamviewer.

There is a free version of Blizz for up to 5 people.

I run Blizz on my second computer with vMix NDI desktop capture, I set up a Blizz screen share meeting meeting. I disable ALL Bliizz audio. It’s easy to disable audio in the Blizz settings. All audio is handled by vMix Call.

I give my guests my Blizz meeting ID. They call in using their own free Blizz account. If they don’t have Blizz installed they need to do that.

As Organizer of the meeing I am able to let any meeting member be a Presenter. I just switch Presenters as needed.

The Presenter can share their deskop or share an application, such as PowerPoint

It works very nicely. Blizz is very user friendly. Download the free version and try it yourself.

When I have some time I’ll do a YouTube demo. Otherwise just follow the steps in this post. So far my guests have not had any issues. I set them up easily about 15 minutes before the production. It’s that simple.

Rowby

UODATE. March 28, 2018. Blizz did an update which has temporary disabled the ability of a presenter to show a program, such as PowerPoint. You can still show your desktop which is good, but being able to show a specific program, such as PowerPoint, is better.

When Blizz did the update they assured the users that they will restore program sharing soon.

BTW Part of the upgrade is an improved and simplify user interface.

New update. Blizz offers a way to revert to the “old” interface, where instead of just letting Presenters share their desktops, they can share a specific application. Such as PowerPoint. If you find yourself in the upgraded version of Blizz, you can go into Blizz Settings — And then go into options and select to show the old interface.

BTW - Mac users using the new interface are indeed able to share applications. But windows users will have to wait for this feature to be restored. In the meantime Windows users can opt for the old interface.

floz23  
#17 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2018 4:39:25 PM(UTC)
floz23

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi. Is Chrome reliable enough for this yet? Even if hot-swapping between cameras and desktop is not possible, could we still have an option to share our desktop via vmixcall, instead of camera input?

thanks for your consideration.

Adam
thanks 1 user thanked floz23 for this useful post.
sinc747 on 6/5/2018(UTC)