logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FAndreas  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:55:59 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Groups: Registered
Man

Has anyone had experience with Intel Iris Graphics 540 or Intel Iris Graphics 550? How does vMix perform with these integrated graphics cards?

Thanks
Andreas
h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:36:06 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Andreas,

I have tested my msi reference system wothout the nvidea 1060 just running on the intel gpu i think is 520.

and compared it with the intel nuc skull irispro 580. this last one is a dream.

from a benchmark site pcgamer.com

We can actually make a pretty good estimate of Iris Pro Graphics 580 performance. By Intel Graphics standards, this is the best GPU they've ever made, and it should be a fairly decent graphics solution. With 72 EUs (Execution Units), each with 8 ALUs for calculations, we're looking at 576 shader cores running at up to 950MHz. Iris Pro Graphics 580 should be about 50-75% faster than the previous generation Broadwell Iris Pro 6200 performance (GT3e with 48 EUs / 384 shader cores), which was about half as fast as a GTX 750 Ti.

just look around on some gaming sites, because if it hold on games, you can bet vmix will be ok.

stefan
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:30:03 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

see here

[img][/img]
h2video.nl attached the following image(s):
image.png (129kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
FAndreas  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 8:37:35 AM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Hei Stefan,

thank you.
I've compared it to graphics cards that I already own. To get a feeling if it could be sufficient for mixing smaller projects.
Of course, if you compare it with dedicated graphics it only can loose. ;)

Iris Pro 580 seems like a very good option. But there's not very often an Iris Pro in PCs or Laptops.
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 12:54:33 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This is interesting. The Airtop-PC that I just ordered has both Intel Iris Pro 6200 and nVidia GTX750Ti. I was curious to see how this compared to the Intel Iris 550 mentioned here.

http://www.videocardbenc...=3437&cmp%5B%5D=2815

UserPostedImage

This web site seems to have a nice amount of detail about the Intel embedded graphics capabilities.
FAndreas  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:02:05 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

I think the Iris Pro 6200 is the old one, compared to Iris Pro 580 mentioned here.
Therefore Iris 550 looks similarly powerful in the comparison.
h2video.nl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:48:37 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

the big (huge) adantage of iris pro vs extra gpu like nvidia 1060 is that its onboard the chip, so fast. and integrated.

i read benchmarks runninf fcpx 10 on a apple pro with two powerfull pgus vs iris pro which runs in a apple laptop high end and on simple rendering tasks like single pass mp4 rendering the iris pro outperformed the apple pro.

my experience is that vmix is easy cake for an iris pro. but if you want to do it all, recording, up down scaling, output and streaming three streams.... whaah ... any set would be require work to get it smooth.

i do basic 3 or 4 input recordings, most of the work is done by the capture cards, cpu gpu around 10-15 percent...

very happy with that iris pro 580, very affordable, it gives me a good feeling, because one thing less to worry about, and i am in the mood for downsizing hardware and up maxing vmix productions.

stefan
FAndreas  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:54:34 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Iris Pro (with new gen Kaby Lake: Iris Plus) is only available on two core mobile processors, isn't it?
You are absolutely right, graphics performance is great with Iris pro/plus but does the lack of two missing cores not be a performance problem with cpu intensive tasks like input scaling or recording? Is streaming not more cpu than gpu related, too?
Or am I missing something? :)
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:38:33 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

testing testing testing... then you might know.

and

i always favor to split cpu intensive activities on seperate machines. two vmix one for mixing rec and one for streaming.

for streaming I also use a yuan stream box or now the new webpresenter.

easy flexible and it not all depends on one cable to the mains... I mean: don't put all your eggs in one basket cpu gpu...

stefan
niemi  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:44:15 AM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
h2video.nl wrote:

i always favor to split cpu intensive activities on seperate machines. two vmix one for mixing rec and one for streaming. easy flexible and it not all depends on one cable to the mains... I mean: don't put all your eggs in one basket cpu gpu...

Do you switch and produce on vMix 1, and then feed vMix 2 from vMix 1's external out?
h2video.nl  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:22:34 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

yes, and sometimes two external vmix mchines for two seperate streams for two languages.

the bm shuttle usb3 dongle allows to pass thru the output signal from vmix 1 to 2 and 3

you can send left and right channels but I think the receiver will not alway know what to do to select one channel only.

what do you think?
stefan
niemi  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:28:19 AM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I can see why you would do it, but I don't like it personally.

You get two or three baskets of eggs (vMix 1, vMix 2, vMix 3) but if vMix 1 fails, then the other ones fails too.

So instead of added safety, you actually end up with a more vulnerable setup.

I prefer redundancy where you split the sources before vMix, and produce on multiple vMix systems simultaneously (https://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9529). You would still be able to reduce CPU-usage in the same manner by distributing encoding processes across different vMix systems.
h2video.nl  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 4:20:29 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

well, my vmix 1 will not fail. it used to, but now vmix is grown up and reliable.

i always make a backup master on the cameras thats why i dont use webcams for main productions and always make sure i have saved the preset of the active project in use after every change. this way I can restart in under 2 minutes.

there is no 100% reliability... did you see the oscars... ?

it is a matter of testing testing testing and doing doing doing and thinking in multiple layers and options. and experience. the experience you get when things go wrong until they dont and the you can call yourself pro.

stefan