logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
martinw  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 3:09:02 PM(UTC)
martinw

Groups: Registered

I'm hoping to use vmix for live rugby - e.g. put the output to a big screen in the clubhouse, and maybe streaming over the internet. It looks pretty good when cutting from one camera to another using keyboard shortcuts, e.g. 1 for camera 1, 2 for camera 2.

I've had a play with the basic version and an old recorded game, and the most important lesson I've learned so far, is that I need to keep looking at the action screens because stuff happens very quickly sometimes. Anything that distracts me causes complete chaos on the output screen even when I know what's going to happen next!

The slo-mo replay (video delay) option looks promising but I think needs some further tweaks.

What (I think) I want is:

1. When I press REC to start recording the delay buffer, I want the delay window to be displaying 'up to date' with the live action by default.

2. When I stop recording the buffer, I want the video delay to go to the beginning of the buffer, but not to start playing.

3. I want to scrub up and down the video delay buffer and choose a start and stop point.

4. I want to hit whatever shortcut key I've set up, to quickplay the video delay buffer from the start point to the end point (at whatever speed I've chosen). Once the end point has been reached, ideally go back to playing the video in the preview window, i.e a cut (or quick play). (Currenyl, sometimes I don't notice that the replay has finished and it starts playing over again)

6. Once the video buffer is no longer 'live' it should automatically go back to my specified start point. This means I can replay the selected part of the buffer again and again whenever I choose, without having to keep searching for the start point.

This will give me pretty much what the BBC/ITV/ESPN/SKY sports guys do....

Team A scores a try, few seconds later I can show the slo-mo replay. Go back live, then cut again to the replay, go back live etc etc.

7. If I save the video buffer, I only want the start/end points saved. This means I can set up saved files of all the scores in the game, and play them back at half time for example, without any problems.

Wouldn't take long to do this would it? ;-)

ber142  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 6:45:24 PM(UTC)
ber142

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Martin,

I think some things are already possible at the moment.

However +1 for your fourth point (auto cut at the end of a - delayed - video), I have the same issue. Could be implemented in general.

I also like to see auto shortcut assignment for saved delays. So set a start key in the settings (e.g. F1). First saved delay gets F1, second F2 and so one. The first free available key is assigned.

One additional request (Martin is probably already aware of it) is to save the delay speed in the profile and to set the delay speed of saved delays by default to the value of its original delay.

Regards, Hanno.
martinw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:42:13 AM(UTC)
martinw

I suppose we might as well go for broke......

A further enhancement to this request would be to have an option to record/stop and apply the start/end points to all (or a group) of video delays.

So, for example, three camera captures, three video delays.

A try scored - or a home run, etc etc.

I stop recording a video delay (which simultaneously stops recording on all three video delays).

I isolate the action on one of the video delays with a start/end point. (the same start/end points are automatically applied to the other two video delays).

Play the video delay - single shortcut keystroke.

Play the second video delay - single shortcut keystroke.

Play the third video delay - single shortcut keystroke.

If I save the first video delay, all three are trimmed to the start/end points and 'saved'.

I can go back live and at any subsequent point I can instantly replay the action from any or all of the video delays simply with a single click on quickplay.

That WOULD make it as good as Sky, ESPN etc.

It would be a thing of beauty......

Thanks for reading

Egriswold  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:56:45 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I think what would really be fantastic is to setup control utilizing the Contour Shuttle Xpress or Pro http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/22
martinw  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 4:28:43 AM(UTC)
martinw

ber142 wrote:
Hi Martin,

One additional request (Martin is probably already aware of it) is to save the delay speed in the profile and to set the delay speed of saved delays by default to the value of its original delay.

Regards, Hanno.

Yes yes yes yes yes (please!). I've been practising with vmix and one thing becomes apparent very quickly. I need to spend as little time as possible 'interacting' with vmix, and as much time as possible watching what's going on with the camera(s).

If I set a video delay to play at 50%, then that's what I want, i.e. Slo-mo replays. If I save the video delay, I will still want to play it back at 50% - I don't have the time (or mental agility) to remember to re-set the playback speed from 100% to 50%.

Happy for this to be a 'setting' that I can switch on/adjust once and then leave alone.
Egriswold  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 9:10:07 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Yes Yes here too, would also like to see intigration with external device like Contore Shuttle Shuttle Pro2
or Shuttle Express
The buttons could be set to change play back speed and so much more.