logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:04:14 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Thought I was going mad...

Edited text in TickerHD.xmal supplied with VMIX and keep getting 'An error occurred while passing EnityName". Line 28, position 130. Which happens to be a £ symbol.

If you load up the title (without rogue symbols) ,and then use title editor to insert the required £, $, % & etc, they play just fine. It's only when loading the title into an input do you get the error.

All The Best

Keith
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:38:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4161 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi Keith,

XAML file formats are the same as XML and HTML in that certain characters need to be "escaped" correctly if you are editing the file manually.
This is not an easy thing to do in a text editor, so it is not recommend to edit in Notepad and instead edit in vMix Title Designer
or in vMix itself, saving out as a preset.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:27:01 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Martin

I was given a very long text files for a ticker (200 words) with LOADS of 'Esc characters' and not very practical to edit in title designer at that length. So was trying to hand edit them into the XMAL - It didn't matter what ESC format I tried it just gave me that error at the first sign of an 'escaped' code. Decided the best way was to just dump the text into a .txt file, and load it up as a data source. At least I can have the 'office staff' who need to change the text regularly just use notepad to edit it. They barley understand the difference between upper and lowercase let alone what an ESC code is.

This is why I love the data sources stuff, especially the google sheets interface (they don't need to go near my VMIX with their virus'ed USB sticks) - They can just add, modify and delete things without any danger of letting them near the broadcast systems. No more shared hard drives filled up with unrelated rubbish, just because it was the last place they saved something and then windows defaults to saving everything on it.

Sorry its been a stress day, client wanted one thing - and then decided he wanted something total different 24 hours before he is due to go live, and I am supposed to be on leave.

Thanks for the help

Keith
kgoodyer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:46:28 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Whilst on the subject of escape codes, is there any way to change the colour of a font mid ticker, client now wants certain words in the string to be highlighted with a different colour.

Cheers

Keith
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:59:20 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I don't think you can... unless by coding XAML with Blend

Maybe you should consider another workflow for such specific requests.

For example, why not using AE with NDI? It's maybe too late for this event you're working on, but NDI supports alpha channel and allows us to use AE and Premiere timelines to feed vMix in realtime... It's free and works pretty well.

If NDI is not an option for you, I sometimes export from AE alpha videos meant to be used as overlays in vMix (for animated sponsor logos or rotating lower-thirds i.e.)... For a ticker text it only takes few minutes...

Sorry not to be able to help more, I know what it's like when a customer can't take no for an answer...

Check http://www.newtek.com/ndi/tools for Adobe CC NDI plugin
kgoodyer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:09:27 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Hiys

My client can barley get his head round windows notepad, I couldn't let him loose with AE. Trying to explain to him he had to save text file as UTF and not ANSI was bad enough. This ticker has to be updated in real time, by somebody who still thinks the ballpoint pen is a marvellous invention. Long term I have plenty of options, just after spending a good few weeks getting everything designed and rendered the dreaded 'night before' gotcha, got me.

I used a Playbox 'TitleBox' to get me out of a hole today which renders RTF, so he could use 'Wordpad' to edit, change fonts, colours, underline etc, and it just worked. Not a long term affordable solution, as I paid about $10k with all the hardware for each of my Titleboxes, and i'm not about to donate one to the client because he messed up on the specification.

I think the answer is to knock up some Flash/AS3 to provide a proper ticker service, in truth using XAML for frame locked animations is a bit of a nightmare, as you can't set absolute pixel movements, some frames the ticker will advance by 1 pixel, other frames it will jump 2, so you get a slight un-smoothness in a horizontal ticker.

At least in flash you can lock all movements to 50/60fps and things 'glide' as opposed to 'jitter' across the screen.

Thanks for your assistance, and suggestions (Aand as for NDI, converted 8 TV studios to be almost totally NDI based), and last week actually used 3 x iPhones running NDI as in-car cameras at a motor sporting event. Mind you you don't want to know what it took to get the signals from the iPhones back to the VMIX, unless you have a very friendly bank manager.

All the Best

Keith