logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AaronR  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2017 11:12:51 PM(UTC)
AaronR

Groups: Registered

Hello! My name is Aaron Russell, I work for a local high school's media department where we use vmix to power our live production department. We're on our second season of live online production and vMix has been our main production software the entirety. You can check us out at youtube.com/bchslive

Besides the shoutout to myself, I'd like to use this time here on the vMix forum to list off some of the requests I've wanted to see since using vMix.

-Easier animation control with the title creator.
We custom make all of our titles using the vmix title editor. I'd love it if we could get animations built into the title editor so that we can animate our graphics package. Thanks.

-Undockable Inputs
We have the ability to use a four monitor rig during our productions, I'd love to utilize all four monitors by having three of the monitors be filled with our camera inputs. I'd make our productions run a lot smoother if we could just undock the input into a separate window and drag it over to the other monitor.

-Skype plugins
I remember watching a video where the founder of vmix showed how to use a skype call in vmix. It was very roundabout and unnecessary. I wish we could skype built in as an input type. We host a weekly coaches show and we'd eventually like the show to be done over skype interviews to make everything easier.

-Countdown includes tenths of seconds.
We cover mostly sports, so using vmix titles we are able to easily change and customize the scoreboard graphics. Our only issue is that the vmix countdown built into their titles does not go down to tenths of seconds. We really could use that if in the next edition tenths of seconds were added.

-Shuffle button on playlist
We play our advertisement breaks through the vMix playlist function. Since we're very small-scale we only have about 6 advertisers and only have 6 commercials that run throughout our broadcasts. And the same ad playlist gets boring, if there was a way to shuffle the commercials to add a bit of change to the breaks that would be very nice.

-Be able to stream to two online outputs at once.
We stream to youtube & facebook...soon to twitter when the technology comes out for desktop encoders. Currently we have to send the youtube feed into another computer that then sends out the facebook stream. Our computer and bandwidth our very capable of handling two streams...If we had the option inside vMix that would come in very handily.

Thank you for such a great program that already works amazingly well. This additions would only make this already great software truly revolutionary.

Many Thanks,
Aaron Russell
Production Director
BCHS Live!
ask  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:18:42 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
AaronR wrote:

We custom make all of our titles using the vmix title editor. I'd love it if we could get animations built into the title editor so that we can animate our graphics package. Thanks.

This is done with Blend. Do a forum search for discussions on this.

Quote:

-Skype plugins
I remember watching a video where the founder of vmix showed how to use a skype call in vmix. It was very roundabout and unnecessary. I wish we could skype built in as an input type. We host a weekly coaches show and we'd eventually like the show to be done over skype interviews to make everything easier.

Look at the latest vMix Funtime Show

Quote:

We cover mostly sports, so using vmix titles we are able to easily change and customize the scoreboard graphics. Our only issue is that the vmix countdown built into their titles does not go down to tenths of seconds. We really could use that if in the next edition tenths of seconds were added.

Again do a search on the forum. Martin has talked about how to modify the xml to achieve this sort of result

Quote:

We play our advertisement breaks through the vMix playlist function. Since we're very small-scale we only have about 6 advertisers and only have 6 commercials that run throughout our broadcasts. And the same ad playlist gets boring, if there was a way to shuffle the commercials to add a bit of change to the breaks that would be very nice.

Create a LIST not a PLAYLIST. This will allow you to achieve what you want.

Quote:

We stream to youtube & facebook...soon to twitter when the technology comes out for desktop encoders. Currently we have to send the youtube feed into another computer that then sends out the facebook stream. Our computer and bandwidth our very capable of handling two streams...If we had the option inside vMix that would come in very handily.

This is natively supportd by vMix, actually you can do 3. Note however that FB's T&C's do not allow streaming to other CDN's at the same time if you are using the FB API.

AaronR  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:22:13 AM(UTC)
AaronR

DIdn't ask for a solution and "quick-fix" to all these issues. Asked for these issues to come bundled into the next vMix edition. Easier and cleaner. Not workarounds.

Thanks for trying,
Aaron

ask wrote:
AaronR wrote:

This is done with Blend. Do a forum search for discussions on this.

Quote:

-Skype plugins

Look at the latest vMix Funtime Show

Quote:

Again do a search on the forum. Martin has talked about how to modify the xml to achieve this sort of result

Quote:

Create a LIST not a PLAYLIST. This will allow you to achieve what you want.

Quote:

This is natively supportd by vMix, actually you can do 3. Note however that FB's T&C's do not allow streaming to other CDN's at the same time if you are using the FB API.

richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:22:21 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Aaron,
It is always a good idea to search the Forum, as well as dig into the Help and FAQ's, to see if what one wants is perhaps already available. I believe "ask", with his insight into what has been going on within vMix for many years, was kind enough to point out to you that your list of things is sort of already taken care of. Or, in some cases, still being discussed.

Furthermore, it is much easier for all of us to keep track of things if each desired new functionality gets its own topic. And that the name of the topic clearly reflects what one is requesting. I thought you requested "A list of feature requests" (i.e. a list of all the features that has been requested).

Thanks,
/richard
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 11:06:44 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ AaronR

Welcome to the Forum. I know how exciting and sometimes intimidating it can be to become a member of the community. I'm glad to see your school has adopted vMix as it's main Media Department Live Production Tool. Your input and experiences in using vMix are valuable to the Forum and this community. Applying practical solutions to users needs and wants has been a benchmark of vMix's evolution since it's inception, and the support from fellow users within the forum is simply outstanding. Many, if not all, of the 'requests' you bring up have been or are currently being discussed or dealt with, which I think is the point (and minor irritant to both) that 'richardgatarski' and 'ask' are making. Both are respected members of this Forum, and although their replies may appear somewhat condescending to you, I can assure you they are not, they are merely trying to help and kindly (in their own way) point out that there are certain 'protocals' that make the Forum more valuable and relevant for everyone.
The Development Team at vMix pay close attention to the Forum and take note of Feature Requests and concerns of users, but I am sure you can appreciate that they can't possibly respond to each and every one , but rather focus on critical issues and those 'items' that generate the most interest and/or support from users.
The "Search" feature is your friend and you are encouraged to provide your input and support to 'Threads' that may have already been started for "Features" or improvements you would like to see in vMix. As Richard point's out, it is much easier to support, discuss and keep track of a single 'Item" than it is for a whole list.
I'm glad you took the initiative to post your requests, your involvement has to start somewhere, and many, like yourself have jumped in with both feet. We all have the same interests at heart and that is to help make this already great product even better. As the saying goes: "Great minds think alike" and it is very likely someone in this community has the exact same thoughts as you.

Hope that helps some.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 1/31/2017(UTC)