logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SHMD  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:44:16 PM(UTC)
SHMD

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I am new to PC builds but have a question about the Ruby build...as I just came across this in another post I made.

Does the ruby build support an 8 lane BMD Quad 2 if a x16 GPU is installed?

On the Vmix Reference Systems page the Ruby specs have the BMD Quad 2 listed which is an x8 card

I was just reading through my Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 Intel Z170 booklet and it has the following listed:

Expansion Slots

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

3. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the M2H_32G connector. The PCIEX4 slot will become unavailable when an SSD is installed in the M2H_32G connector.

4. 4 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All of the PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

Thanks, as I already have the build almost done, but was just about to order the capture cards... so hopefully someone with a bit of experince can help me out with the question?

-sheldon

NiBTour  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 5:52:07 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
SHMD wrote:
I am new to PC builds but have a question about the Ruby build...as I just came across this in another post I made.

Does the ruby build support an 8 lane BMD Quad 2 if a x16 GPU is installed?

On the Vmix Reference Systems page the Ruby specs have the BMD Quad 2 listed which is an x8 card

I was just reading through my Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 Intel Z170 booklet and it has the following listed:

Expansion Slots

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

3. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the M2H_32G connector. The PCIEX4 slot will become unavailable when an SSD is installed in the M2H_32G connector.

4. 4 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All of the PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

Thanks, as I already have the build almost done, but was just about to order the capture cards... so hopefully someone with a bit of experince can help me out with the question?

-sheldon

thats a 20c pcie lane motherboard and the quad 2 is an x8 lane card. so you would be 4 lanes over. will it work yes but it could create performance issues when your using all the SDI ports though

-King
admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 7:18:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
This particular motherboard has 2x x8 ports that can be used with one for the graphics card and the other for a x8 capture card.
The reason this works is the graphics port will run in PCI Express 3.0 which is twice as fast as the 2.0 for the capture card.

So it is effectively x16 2.0 for the GPU, and x8 for the capture card which allows for plenty of room to use 8 cameras in vMix.

Sorry for the overly technical explanation, I thought it would helpful to those building these systems to know that
a x16 CPU can actually do 8 cameras quite well!

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
SHMD on 1/27/2017(UTC)
SHMD  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 8:11:50 AM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
admin wrote:
So it is effectively x16 2.0 for the GPU, and x8 for the capture card which allows for plenty of room to use 8 cameras in vMix.

Sorry for the overly technical explanation, I thought it would helpful to those building these systems to know that
a x16 CPU can actually do 8 cameras quite well!

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Martin,

Thanks for the explanation as I had a hunch I was missing something on how this motherboard worked on handling the lanes.

-sheldon