logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SHMD  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:10:09 PM(UTC)
SHMD

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hello, first off I have to explain I am a bit of a Unix and Mac guy that just managed to start my first rack PC build for Vmix.
Over the past 7 years of streaming I have been working with Livestream Studio boxes and Wirecast on MAC Pros and MacBook Pros and have just started switching over to Vmix as I like all the features.

So in my new build I Plan to run 3 DeckLink Mini Recorders and 1 DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K.
I plan to use the 4K with a stationary 4K camera then zoom and pan in using virtual inputs of the 4K feed...

Our usual output for the events we cover is usually 432p, 720p and the odd time we get enough bandwidth to stream in 1080p, so the question is...

How much power CPU/Video Card do I need to bring in only one 4K that will be scaled down for production... as I am not sure if this is the same as needed to broadcast and record in 4K.

Any ideas or advice would be great...

Thanks'

-sheldon
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 1:38:41 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Sheldon

first I'd suggest you's rather go for a Decklink Duo2 with 4 SDI inputs (or a Magewell PCIe card with 4 HDMI in) instead of 3 Decklink Mini. You must consider that motherboards have a limited number of PCIe slots.
So you'd have only 2 capture cards (2 PCIe slots) + 1 for the graphic card, and 5 inputs for roughly the same price.

In terms of power, I would say that any i7 of 6th generation with a good nVidia GTX 1070 will suffice for this kind of setup.

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
SHMD on 1/24/2017(UTC)
SHMD  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:07:08 PM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

DWAM wrote:
Hi Sheldon

first I'd suggest you's rather go for a Decklink Duo2 with 4 SDI inputs (or a Magewell PCIe card with 4 HDMI in) instead of 3 Decklink Mini. You must consider that motherboards have a limited number of PCIe slots.
So you'd have only 2 capture cards (2 PCIe slots) + 1 for the graphic card, and 5 inputs for roughly the same price.

In terms of power, I would say that any i7 of 6th generation with a good nVidia GTX 1070 will suffice for this kind of setup.

Guillaume

Guillaume, thanks for the info but I am a bit of a redundancy guy from years of software engineering/development and the idea of all my inputs in one card just freaks me out a bit.
So I was thinking separate cards with one extra sitting in a box just incase one goes down ;)

The motherboard I spec'd out and plan to use is the Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5 Intel Z170...
From my understanding and reading I will have:

1 16x PCIe - video card
3 1x PCIe - Regular decklinks
1 4x PCIe - 4K decklink
(also a 1x covered by video card and another 8x PCIe but it shares with the 16xPCIe which makes them both 8x - so not going to use that PCIe slot in the build)

Hopefully I understand how the motherboard PCIe slots work as website did not have a detailed list of the available lanes and speed.

-sheldon

DWAM  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:25:10 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
I am a bit of a redundancy guy from years of software engineering/development and the idea of all my inputs in one card just freaks me out a bit.
So I was thinking separate cards with one extra sitting in a box just incase one goes down ;)

Well it's up to you!
I (and many other guys in here) have multi input/output cards in my production PCs with vMix. Never had a problem. As long as you keep your PCs updated and clean (I mean dedicated to production which means no install of tons of crappy softwares, others machines to make tests before, etc...) you should be fine...

Nonetheless, the idea of having a spare card in advance is not an option whatever you decide...

My 2 cts...
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
SHMD on 1/24/2017(UTC), avid_liquid on 5/15/2017(UTC)
SHMD  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:38:06 PM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

Thanks again,

I agree with the clean machine used only for streaming. Never liked all the bloat-ware that has become the standard on OS these days - darn cloud technology is not helping. LOL

I will keep you posted on the build and let you know which direction I go as cost wise it seems to be similar.

-sheldon
thanks 1 user thanked SHMD for this useful post.
avid_liquid on 5/15/2017(UTC)
SHMD  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:47:18 PM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

DWAM wrote:
Quote:

Nonetheless, the idea of having a spare card in advance is not an option whatever you decide...

Sorry I meant to have it on hand to switch out after an event and the system is offline, as ordering a new card can take up to a week sometimes where I am located...

Also I have a Sonnet Thunderbolt on one of my mac setups that has a Decklink Duo2 - so I may try that in the PC build like you mentioned.

So, time to shop...

-sheldon
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:57:47 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Why don't you go for a Thunderbolt motherboard then ? It's a little bit more expensive but it's worth the money. You might only need a USB3.1 Type C 2 TB2 adaptor and you're ready to roll! And you still can add more PCIe capture cards if you need more inputs/outputs...