logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rowby  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:44:12 AM(UTC)
rowby

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi

I come from years of non-live video editing,such as Adobe Premiere, and am finding that I was not as aware of how graphic formats affect CPU useage in relation to live streaming programs such as vMix.

So I invite all on this thread to discuss the subtitles of formats, to keep CPU useaage down where possible. Here are my own observations -- please correct me if I'm wrong or you have more to contribute...

1). Although not related to formats. Let's discuss making sure when we use our laptops for streaming that not only are no other programs running-- but also be aware of what startup programs should not be running -- such as Dropbox sync, skype, Adobe Cloud, etc etc if not needed for the live stream, There are utilities that can turn off unneed startup programs in windows.

2. Jpgs use less processing power than pngs. If you need a transparency consider using a jpg with chromakey green instead of an alpha channel in a png.

3. Use MP4 rather than mov or avi for your videos. Again if you need an alpha channel create your MP4 with a green background instead of an avi or mov with an alpha transparency.

Any other thoughts, corrections or tips on graphic formats and CPU usage?

Cheers!
Rowby
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:15:14 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Rowby

it all depends on the power of your machine in terms of CPU, GPU and disks.

Obviously it makes sense to deactivate all unnecessary services. My switchers are dedicated to production, I don't even install softwares like Office, Adobe or any other software that is not required in the workflow on them. No dropbox or onedrive either... I have other regular laptops with all these things...

When you have a pretty decent GTX board, the CPU is usually not really sollicited, especially not by PNGs even with transparency. In terms of quality, you have better results with a PNG with alpha than with a jpeg with chroma. You should not be worried to use PNG.

I'm not sure the video codecs when you only play standard videos in your production is really an issue. But you could have trouble when reading high bitrates videos like prores or VC3 or uncompressed videos for sure. It can affect the CPU badly especially if you don't have SSDs (or multiple hard disks). Try not to record on the same disk as you read from (I always have a dedicated disk for recording and another one for every files used as sources).

vMix makes an extensive use of GPU so even for complex projects with a lot of cameras and a lot of files, it usually does not use a lot of CPU. Except when using USB capture boards...

And as long as you use the hardware encoder (nvenc) for streaming and recording you should not have CPU problems.

My 2 cts...
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
Gary-WSN on 1/5/2017(UTC), rokuel on 1/6/2017(UTC)
NHT  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 1:17:26 PM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I did noticed when I pulled in a .MOV the other day it had very high dropped frames.
Peter B  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 7:45:59 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
NHT wrote:
I did noticed when I pulled in a .MOV the other day it had very high dropped frames.

What codec ?

Generally I would have thought an I frame only codec, such as Prores, Mjpeg, DNX or sequential files would be quicker to decode but you then have the penalty of higher bitrates but in the world of SSDs this is less of an issue.

This is how it works with editing apps. Avid with H264 is a bit sluggish but it's fine with DNX.