logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pm  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 4:08:33 PM(UTC)
pm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

On my production laptop I have 4 to 10ms render time. About every 4 seconds the render time goes up to 40ms for one second (which is responsible for some dropped frames (I guess)).

I took some time to investigate the load of the GPU with NVIDIA Inspector. I was surprised to see that the GPU usage is on a constant level of 16%. GPU was working in P0 state (forced by driver setting "prefer maximum performance"). Clock was on maximum value.

I got this GPU usage with 5 RTSP inputs and streaming with ffmpeg (with hardware encoder). Preset and streaming is set at 720p50. CPU is at 70%.

My laptop spec:
i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 970M (3GB)

So isn't there a link between render time and GPU usage? Or do I miss something?

Does someone tweak some other NVIDIA driver settings except "prefer maximum performance" (e.g. "vertical sync")?

Regards,
Patrick
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 9:47:45 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
It is a cpu with hyperthreading, so the 70% is more like 140%, as the threads are counted as cores in the cpu monitor.
On my system, I can get 60% cpu max without choking the cpu. So hyperthreading only gives you 10% extra resources when it comes to vMix.
I guess your RTSP inputs take too much resources, try if lowering them to 4 solves your problem.
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:18:57 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Patrick,
Are you sure the Nvidia card is in use? (see the Performance tab in vMix Settings).

If it is, what happens if you run vMix with the HD 530 graphics?
pm  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:58:44 AM(UTC)
pm

Thanks for your reply, Mathijs and Richard!

I reduced the number of RTSP inputs and also the bitrate of the streams to reduce the CPU load. Now it's on 60%, but it has no influence on the render time spikes and the GPU load.

It's an optimus laptop with the capability to disable the integrated Intel GPU in BIOS and that's what I did. So the OS does only see the NVIDIA GPU. Also vMix is reporting that GTX 970M is in use and NVIDIA Inspector is showing some load on the GPU.

The dropdown list in performance settings is set to "Default", but has two more entries for GTX 970M. So my graphics card is appearing twice (if I remove the additional monitor, only one GTX 970M entry is showed). And there is also the "Optimus compatibility" checkbox.

The help file doesn't explain much about these settings. Does someone of you have more information or expirience with that?
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:09:58 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Could you please try to enable built in graphics and make sure you use it for vMix (right-click vMix64.exe and select "Run with graphics processor Built in...").

This might be a long shot, but I recently noticed render time spikes when a MSI GS63VR was run with the GTX1060, but not when built in GPU was used). Maybe that will put your laptop to its limit, if so reduce number of inputs. Just to check how render times are affected with/out the nVidia GPU.
admin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:48:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
The high render time could be the power management kicking in.
In the Windows Power Options control panel, set this to High Performance and also set the highest performance option in the NVIDIA settings.

Also, if you have the laptop model with 4K display, set the resolution in Windows to 1920x1080 instead and set the scaling slider to 100% as well.

We have a similar laptop to the 63VR we have tested and it runs well with the above settings applied.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:19:19 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

admin wrote:
The high render time could be the power management kicking in.vMix

Absolutely (just noticed that intermettent high render times disappeared when I overclocked my Z170-based PC).

Unfortunately I no longer have access to the MCI GS63VR so I can't test if forcing nVidia to high performance would help.
pm  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 4:52:04 AM(UTC)
pm

Did some tests yesterday.

@Richard:
I enabled internal GPU and let vMix run with that. Render time was more stable, but quite high after adding inputs and starting streaming.

@Admin:
I started a long term test, but I have to repeat that. After two hours running I got an "out of memory" message from vMix... Strange, had this 3 or 4 times (from about 20 runnings) since working with 18.0.0.58. Never had this with 17 on the same setup.
admin  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2017 9:32:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Thanks for sending through the additional info via email.

It is still hard to tell what is specifically causing the memory to increase with all the different things running in vMix
so my suggestion would be to remove things from the setup to see if you can isolate the cause.

That said, the setup you are running is actually doing a lot better than I would expect for the system specs.
vMix Replay generally requires a 4Ghz processor for 4 camera instant replay.

So while I can fix any memory leak bug if you are able to isolate it, it probably won't help that the system may not be fast enough to do everything.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
ccolewilliam  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:41:44 PM(UTC)
ccolewilliam

Man

This is the exact problem I am having. I posted about the other day. My render times are all over the place. I am not not maxing my resources. I just did that power setting adjustment. Has there been any additional developments on this post or did you find a resolution.
pm  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:32:15 AM(UTC)
pm

Hello Martin

Thank you for your analysis.

My system is really at its limit and I'm happy with it like it is (had two successfull productions during last weekend with 4 cameras (3 on replay).

Regarding the memory increasing, I will try to isolate the issue and will post again as soon as I have better results.

Regards,
Patrick