logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kjones9999  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 2:26:57 AM(UTC)
kjones9999

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hi All.

Just finished a two day 13 game football marathon, and vmix performed like a champ, but did some things that concerned me.

First, my hardware is a 1 GB Nvidia GPU, i7 processor, 8 GB ram, and decklink PCIE capture cards.

I captured in 1080 59.97, recorded in 720p 59.97 and streamed in the same. I ran an external 480p output with a usb3 Intensity Shuttle. I also did a fullscreen of output on the secondary output on my graphics card.

Render times were never above 6MS Vmix cpu never above 20%, and overall cpu never above 60%.

We ran two cameras and a video delay, as well as an NDI scoreboard. I used the video delay extensively for replay.

Here is the issue- quite often after saving a delay, and then selecting next item in the list via shortcut, vmix would seem to freeze for a second. Then, when the video delay window had moved to the next item, the fps on the recording would spike to 140-200 fps and then return to normal. (I would go to next item as quick as possible after the red save button went off.) Audio meters would freeze as well. Then happened 60-75% of the time.

Occasionally, on the previews for inputs, frames would seem like they were being skipped. But recording and streaming in all instances was smooth and uninterrupted without dropped frames.

Its almost as if the display could not accurately show what was being streamed/recorded. All ended up being fine, but it was concerning.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 7:55:01 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I had the same thing happening two weeks ago. I did mail Martin for support, but we did not get to a cause because there was nothing found in the logs.
I think it would be best if you go to settings - about, and click send support report.
Then get all the logs together that were made during the event, including recording log, and attach them to the mail you send to Martin.
Also put your registration key in the email, so they can find your support report.

If you get to a cause and solution, please let me know. Last jobs I did were without any hiccup, but I still want to know why this happened and what to do about it.
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
kjones9999 on 1/2/2017(UTC)
PrepSpin  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 10:13:43 AM(UTC)
PrepSpin

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I had this happen in the past but found that it was because the hard drive that contained the list items had went to sleep. I fixed this issue by going to Power Options in Windows and selecting Advance and telling my computer to never let the hard drive go to sleep. The response time was instant where the disk was moving. I have since upgraded all drives to SSD now but one of my many fail my way to success stories.
thanks 1 user thanked PrepSpin for this useful post.
kjones9999 on 1/2/2017(UTC)
Mathijs  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 12:09:07 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
This was not the case with my experience, as I only use SSD's and power management is set to max performance, never sleep, never turn off disks, etc.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 12:23:43 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ kjones9999

Can you elaborate a little more on your system specs and workflow?
(specifically hard drive(s) and cpu specs)
Like PrepSpin, I suspect it is Hard Drive related, not necessarilly affecting mission critical events, but a refresh hiccup of sorts of the UI.
It would be good to get to the root of this "glitch" to eliminate and/or avoid it or at least be aware of what it is and whether or not it is something to be worried about during a prodution...

Ice
kjones9999  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 11:42:05 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hey Ice.

I was saving the delay to the same HD that vmix and the OS was on. I was recording the overall production on an SSD.

The video delays were 1080i. I am wondering if I should have been saving the delay to SSD.

CPU is I7 4770. HD is 7200 rpm 2 TB disk.

What I cant understand is why just advancing the list would lock up the UI. Incidentally, if the video list was empty, saving a new delay almost never caused the symptom. It was only when there were items in the list already. And just to clarify, the lockup in the UI didnt happen when saving -- the seeming most HD intensive- but rather just advancing one video to the next.