logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Beloved  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 11:04:04 AM(UTC)
Beloved

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm seeking wise council in using vMix to stream LIVE and prerecorded video 24/7, like a TV Channel, from known working solutions and setups. I've been doing this for over 2 years now using Livestream as my CDN. Now I'm wanting to expand into the Roku arena. In order to code my stream to Roku, LS requires access to their API, so Livestream requires me to upgrade to a 7k a year package for 2017 in order to access the data I've stored on their system. So, now I'm looking for cost effective solutions at less than half that yearly budget.

Do you have an intivative idea to accomplish the subject goal?

I'm hopeful to hear from some of you regarding a vMix future like this.

I Thank You All for Your Support!

tcb
thanks 1 user thanked Beloved for this useful post.
PFBM on 12/30/2016(UTC)
EliYahu  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 2:17:13 AM(UTC)
EliYahu

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've been using https://www.instanttvchannel.com/ and found it to be a very good system with easy web-based set up and live phone support if you have any issues. For the unbranded channel it's $50 a month, but you have to host the video files on your own server.

I use Wowza on a dedicated server from Zipservers with 5TB of bandwidth. The dedicated server is about $170 a month, but there are cheaper ones available.
RichShumaker  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:25:24 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
If I had google fiber which I don't and wanted to create a server to use to stream to my Roku Channel, how would I do that?

I ask because I look at the cost for streaming and it seems pricey.
I thought having your own server and streaming yourself would be 'cheaper' if you had the bandwidth.
Unfortunately I have no idea if that is even possible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rich Shumaker
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 4:45:16 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hey Rich

If you had a fiber connection to the web, you could buy a perpetual licence for Wowza and set it up at home or in your office.
Then you could use it for streaming and recording content and also for resyndication/re-stream to many platforms including Roku.

There are alternatives, Wowza being the one I prefer. https://www.wowza.com/

Hope this helps
Guillaume
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 4:53:59 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Another option for Roku is use a streaming platform which provides a way to publish directly to a channel.
Check this article, as an example, from DaCast (basically here, the wowza server is Dacast's instead of being your own):
https://www.dacast.com/b...oku-launch-announcement/
kjones9999  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 11:29:33 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
If you have the bandwidth, Mistserver will do this (I do this now). You just have to use the HLS stream, but mistserver does a good job with that.

Let me know if I can help.
mitchstein443  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2018 1:28:45 AM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Beloved wrote:
I'm seeking wise council in using vMix to stream LIVE and prerecorded video 24/7, like a TV Channel, from known working solutions and setups. I've been doing this for over 2 years now using Livestream as my CDN. Now I'm wanting to expand into the Roku arena. In order to code my stream to Roku, LS requires access to their API, so Livestream requires me to upgrade to a 7k a year package for 2017 in order to access the data I've stored on their system. So, now I'm looking for cost effective solutions at less than half that yearly budget.

Do you have an intivative idea to accomplish the subject goal?

I'm hopeful to hear from some of you regarding a vMix future like this.

I Thank You All for Your Support!

tcb

I know this is an old post, but no real answer appears to be forth coming in the thread. So here is the answer....

I rent a server (xenon 8 core with 16-gigs ram, 3 tyrrabyte hds 1 1 TB as boot.. server 2012 r2, the OS I had to buy my own key for about 25$ on bonanza.com).. The rental is 50$ a month for unlimited transfers and then i pay an extra (negotiate your price for this with tthem directly as I did) dollar amount for 10,0000 MBS (not mbs, mega bytes, not bits) per server..

The hosting service is volumedrive.com..

On the server I run IIS Smooth Streaming (i actually have 8 servers in total with aot of different providers, some rented some colocated but this is by far the cheapest service)..

I also run unreal media server trial edition it provides up to 5 "live" rtmp relays, it repackages the rmtp to HLS and IIS Smooth streaming.

I run vmix 12.x on a dual core 3.2 GHZ desktop with a 512m videocard (you will need an I5 or better to HD streams)..

vmix sends to unreal media server rmtp and another service I use for mobile devices, UMS sends to my IIS service in hls and IIS smooth streaming formats. Roku can pull the hls or iis stream..

I only send in SD (stand def).. Only because of my processor speed of the desktop computer if I was running it on an I3 or I7 it would be high def..

anyway it can be done i have been doing it for 3 years and the live channel is the most popular "video" on my roku channels..

lemme flow chart it... (sorta)

vmix - ums
ums - hls/iis
hls/iis - roku

pretty simple.

The hardest part is getting the rendering settings in vmix to work with roku, you just have to tweak them till it works..

Details:

Xenon 8 core server running server 2012 r2 (works just as well on server 2008 r2, 2012, 2016, 2016 r2)
lotsa bandwidth to support lotsa users for the server..
running Unreal media server to injest the rmtp and convert (repackage) to HLS/IIS
IIS 7.5 web server with smooth streaming package installed.

remote vmix workstation:
vmix 12 hd (will work with the free version but limited to live sources only, the HD version allows playlists and unlimited input sources)

dual core 3.2 ghz (minimum requirement but will only support SD, HD requires I3 but I5/7 is much better)
Nvidia video card with minimum 512K ram.
windows 7 32bit will work fine but windows 10 64 is MUCH MUCH better.
with vmix you can send the same source to up to two destinations.. I send stream one to tvbydemand.com (my server) and stream 2 to a channel on youtube..

the bandwidth requirement for the vmix system is 2x's the total stream setting, vmix allows 120K - 1600K.. totally adjustable, a SD stream is typically 720K since I send out two stream I need 1.5mbs (bits not bytes) plus additional 1.5 for overhead and other traffic.

Comcast meets that requirement most of the time, Fios meets it and surpasses it 100 fold.. (I have both, Fios is definitively superior in my neighborhood)

my vmix service is in my home office in southern NJ connected to fios 1K send/ 1k recieve standard service, the primary server is in harrisburg PA connected to superhighspeed fiber/ethernet.. it handles all the viewers traffic, the vmix computer only sends to the server. Therefore I do not need alot of bandwidth in the house but alot where the server is located..

I know tis is alot of scattered information and I repeated it in different ways to attempt to give a complete picture..

I will tell you this, I have been using vmix for at least 6 years now, it is the best bang for the buck on the market and I have tried everything from my own scripts on ffmpeg to broadcast 100,000$ studio software.. I have even ued vmix to produce live content for a local philadelphia major network 6pm news.. and they thought I used thier 100K $ software that is so over complicated it wasn't worth the effort..

We have broadcasted live 4 camera shoots 6+ hours long.. I was for 4 years using vmix to live capture/mix and broadcast 2 2hour shows a week on and IBM i7 thinkpad.. in standard definition..

Best product ever!!

If anyone has any questions at all ask away I will answer them all as I can..

I almost forgot, I run vmix 24/7 for months with no problems at all. There was one beta version of vmix that required a weekly reboot because it didn't properly release the ram, but that was quickly fixed. my vmix workstation gets rebooted or average every 3 months, disabling windows updates is strongly recomended! but creating a startu batch file and administrator user with no password and auto login and if the computer reboots it will auto restart right where vmix left off.. I also us a powershell script to create now playing title and "up next at this time" titles..
pauljmanoogian  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2020 8:00:35 AM(UTC)
pauljmanoogian

United States

Originally Posted by: mitchstein443 Go to Quoted Post

I know this is an old post, but no real answer appears to be forth coming in the thread. So here is the answer....

I rent a server (xenon 8 core with 16-gigs ram, 3 tyrrabyte hds 1 1 TB as boot.. server 2012 r2, the OS I had to buy my own key for about 25$ on bonanza.com).. The rental is 50$ a month for unlimited transfers and then i pay an extra (negotiate your price for this with tthem directly as I did) dollar amount for 10,0000 MBS (not mbs, mega bytes, not bits) per server..

The hosting service is volumedrive.com..

On the server I run IIS Smooth Streaming (i actually have 8 servers in total with aot of different providers, some rented some colocated but this is by far the cheapest service)..

I also run unreal media server trial edition it provides up to 5 "live" rtmp relays, it repackages the rmtp to HLS and IIS Smooth streaming.

I run vmix 12.x on a dual core 3.2 GHZ desktop with a 512m videocard (you will need an I5 or better to HD streams)..

vmix sends to unreal media server rmtp and another service I use for mobile devices, UMS sends to my IIS service in hls and IIS smooth streaming formats. Roku can pull the hls or iis stream..

I only send in SD (stand def).. Only because of my processor speed of the desktop computer if I was running it on an I3 or I7 it would be high def..

anyway it can be done i have been doing it for 3 years and the live channel is the most popular "video" on my roku channels..

lemme flow chart it... (sorta)

vmix - ums
ums - hls/iis
hls/iis - roku

pretty simple.

The hardest part is getting the rendering settings in vmix to work with roku, you just have to tweak them till it works..

Details:

Xenon 8 core server running server 2012 r2 (works just as well on server 2008 r2, 2012, 2016, 2016 r2)
lotsa bandwidth to support lotsa users for the server..
running Unreal media server to injest the rmtp and convert (repackage) to HLS/IIS
IIS 7.5 web server with smooth streaming package installed.

remote vmix workstation:
vmix 12 hd (will work with the free version but limited to live sources only, the HD version allows playlists and unlimited input sources)

dual core 3.2 ghz (minimum requirement but will only support SD, HD requires I3 but I5/7 is much better)
Nvidia video card with minimum 512K ram.
windows 7 32bit will work fine but windows 10 64 is MUCH MUCH better.
with vmix you can send the same source to up to two destinations.. I send stream one to tvbydemand.com (my server) and stream 2 to a channel on youtube..

the bandwidth requirement for the vmix system is 2x's the total stream setting, vmix allows 120K - 1600K.. totally adjustable, a SD stream is typically 720K since I send out two stream I need 1.5mbs (bits not bytes) plus additional 1.5 for overhead and other traffic.

Comcast meets that requirement most of the time, Fios meets it and surpasses it 100 fold.. (I have both, Fios is definitively superior in my neighborhood)

my vmix service is in my home office in southern NJ connected to fios 1K send/ 1k recieve standard service, the primary server is in harrisburg PA connected to superhighspeed fiber/ethernet.. it handles all the viewers traffic, the vmix computer only sends to the server. Therefore I do not need alot of bandwidth in the house but alot where the server is located..

I know tis is alot of scattered information and I repeated it in different ways to attempt to give a complete picture..

I will tell you this, I have been using vmix for at least 6 years now, it is the best bang for the buck on the market and I have tried everything from my own scripts on ffmpeg to broadcast 100,000$ studio software.. I have even ued vmix to produce live content for a local philadelphia major network 6pm news.. and they thought I used thier 100K $ software that is so over complicated it wasn't worth the effort..

We have broadcasted live 4 camera shoots 6+ hours long.. I was for 4 years using vmix to live capture/mix and broadcast 2 2hour shows a week on and IBM i7 thinkpad.. in standard definition..

Best product ever!!

If anyone has any questions at all ask away I will answer them all as I can..

I almost forgot, I run vmix 24/7 for months with no problems at all. There was one beta version of vmix that required a weekly reboot because it didn't properly release the ram, but that was quickly fixed. my vmix workstation gets rebooted or average every 3 months, disabling windows updates is strongly recomended! but creating a startu batch file and administrator user with no password and auto login and if the computer reboots it will auto restart right where vmix left off.. I also us a powershell script to create now playing title and "up next at this time" titles..

So, how does this work, actually? I mean, I get your general workflow, in fact, I basically have the same server setup as you.

Can you show me what the dialog box looks like on the vMix side AND the UMS side? I feel like I'm missing a step, as I have been at this for days and I'm sure I'm just missing some key thing that would make this all come together.

Do I have to be running FMLE on the server?

I just don't understand what I'm missing. I would GREATLY appreciate your help with this! I've done some work with the local CBS station and would love to be able to broadcast to them in this way!

Thank you so much for your help!
-=Paul=-
kjones9999  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:48:21 AM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I have used mistserver for this--

rent a linux instance on AWS- load mistserver - send an rtmp feed- mistserver gives you an HLS. I can also build the live ROKU app if needed. Its simple.