logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Maximus  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 11:04:35 AM(UTC)
Maximus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Currently there is a $290.00 difference between Basic HD and HD versions of vMix. In light of NDI and Production workflow utilizing multiple vMix systems, would it be feasible to have an HD version around $150.00 - $175.00 with the following features?

3 Camera inputs (Same as Basic HD)
Increase Input limits from 4 to 8 - 10
Increase Overlay limit from 1 to 2

I am not sure how difficult this would be to implement or if the forum members think it is valuable. Tell me what are your thoughts.

AlanZ  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 6:09:20 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Keep in mind that NDI inputs (except for local desktop capture) are counted as camera inputs.
sinc747  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:54:26 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I think vMix is way underpriced already. Compared to similar products, vMix is an incredible bargain.

I'd rather encourage the developer to raise prices in order to have more revenue to expand operations.

- Tom

Innomedia  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 4:19:23 AM(UTC)
Innomedia

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 10 post(s)
sinc747 wrote:
I think vMix is way underpriced already. Compared to similar products, vMix is an incredible bargain.

I'd rather encourage the developer to raise prices in order to have more revenue to expand operations.

- Tom

I absolutely agree with you, Tom. Pricing is at the very low end right now. Considering all the features and possibilities you have there shouldn't be any complaints about prices. Developing and adding new features, testing and implementing new hardware to vMix - it all costs a lot of money and was done absolutely great in the past for the "consumer versions" (like HD and lower). To add some more professional tools and hardware for 4K and Pro in the future it might be a good idea to think about a slight raise for this versions.

Regards
Karsten
Peter B  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 9:14:55 AM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
sinc747 wrote:

- Tom

I'd like to see an increase in prices too, especially upgrades.
doggy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:23:38 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Vmix is worth definitely its money and above comments are more than warranted.

On the other hand because of its pricing part many have started into streaming using vMix and actually bought licences, not feeling threatened by the "professional exclusivity".

I do know "pro's" who just laugh at vMix users because they have very expensive "high end" gear and software who's production kinda sucks and are not able to come up with simple solutions if the gear is not capable of it on its own.

Often amateurs come up with silly ideas and solutions that then become professional standards ;-)

How many vMix users would have even started (and paid !) if the pricing was like other solutions?

Am not convinced raising prices to generate more revenue is actually going to raise more if it means shutting out lots of smaller users or starters.

Just saying
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 12:24:23 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I agree with doggy in a lot of ways.
I think the pricing structure is very fair and attainable on the lower end for the majority of potential "un-professional" users but unfortunately, out of reach on the higher end for a lot of those same users (I'm still saving up for my next upgrade) even though it is a tremendous bargain, and perhaps marginalized for that reason, from a professional standpoint.
You can't please everyone all the time, but vMix is slowly but surely building it's reputation with a reliable and powerful product, which in the long run will establish its credibility in the market place, regardless of its perceived "low" or "high" pricing structure (variable by who is judging).

Just my thoughts.

Ice
al4video  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:02:29 PM(UTC)
al4video

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think the OP's question is proof that the present price structure is working. Unfortunately, he see's the price difference between the basic HD version and the HD version as substantial. On the surface it is. But if you look at it correctly it's not that the HD version is so costly, it's that the folks at Vmix provided such a low entry point for the basic HD to allow a jumping in point for almost nothing. That gives the appearance that the next step is overpriced, but it's not.

I don't believe raising prices would benefit users or Vmix. Software is only one part of the equation, and software alone won't get you anywhere as we all know. I think Vmix is priced accordingly. If money was no object we would all be using Tricasters. Vmix is on the right path.
Maximus  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 5:28:48 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Just to be clear, I know that vMix represents the best bang for the buck in video software, and I am not in anyway complaining about the price. I have multiple licenses and build systems for clients where the license suited for their needs is purchased. This discussion is about adding an additional tier of pricing between the Basic HD and HD. I work on Productions with 2 vPlay machines and vMix for Main Switch, and with NDI I can see more vMix capacity providing additional Production benefits. Hence my question re an additional pricing tier.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:07:17 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I could see a version such as proposed in this thread replacing the SD version at $150.00. Even someone on a limited budget and only SD capture devices could utilize the proposed version between Basic HD and HD. It would seem if a user is going beyond 10 inputs, they would have a more technically sophisticated production, and be more apt to be streaming at the HD level.

Tom Sinclair can attest to that I started with Basic HD, but it wasn't enough. So I upgraded to HD, then before football season to 4K. I have another Basic HD/single cam system that would benefit from having a few more inputs. However I'll probably go to HD with it soon rather than wait too much longer.

As al4video said software is only part of the equation. Cameras, capture and computers make up a much larger percentage of the costs.
Speegs  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 4:58:40 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Vmix leave the prices alone, they are great! Almost like someone really already thought them out and yes as you move from hobby/toe in water level. You have to start paying a bit more. So what Cameras and things at that level cost far more than Vmix.
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:50:44 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Perhaps a compromise would benefit everyone.
Maybe this is already possible, I do not know but suspect not; since most newer cameras are HD, if vMix SD were capable of recognizing the video input, but down-scaled it to a SD resolution for all functions in vMix, then that might be a viable solution as an affordable upgrade for those on a budget needing more input capabilities of vMix.
(I used vMix SD for a couple of years before upgrading to vMix HD)

Just my thoughts

Ice