logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nethfel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:25:42 PM(UTC)
nethfel

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I know vMix can act as a sender and there is the vMix NDI desktop software, but is there a utility to send video feeds, preferably low/no cost? Basically I want to put a camera a little far for cabling I have available, and I'd really like to try out NDI as I have PLENTY of gigabit network gear and cable, but I wasn't sure what I could use on a "dumb" client to send the video to vMix.

stigaard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:57:38 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
NDI Connect from NewTek.

Note there's a pro and a free version. The free version allows two outputs as I remember.
nethfel  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:12:32 PM(UTC)
nethfel

stigaard wrote:
NDI Connect from NewTek.

Note there's a pro and a free version. The free version allows two outputs as I remember.

I was *just* coming back here to mention I learned about Connect free (from a NewTek NDI 2 minute demo video). I saw it's limited to 2 cameras, I wonder if that's per machine that connect is on or total on the network that connect is communicating on?

I'm going to experiment with it possibly tomorrow (don't have access to all of the equipment today) and see if it works with my capture dongles.
kane  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:27:17 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
NDI Connect (free) is limited to two channels per device. You could run NDI Connect on multiple systems to put a bunch of sources on your network.

NewTek Connect Pro (paid) supports up to four channels per device and also offers additional features beyond the free version of Connect (like alpha channel input, scopes, color correction, IP input, additional audio channels, A/V sync adjustment and more).

Finally, you can also use VLC Player with the free NDI plug-in as a solution in some cases as well get video sources on the network.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
pm  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:51:24 PM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
And last but not least to mention (we are in the vMix forum...): vMix can also do the conversion from camera feeds to NDI :-)
zenvideo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:53:35 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
pm wrote:
And last but not least ...

Not quite last, if you happen to use a Magewell Pro Capture card. Magewell have an "NDISender" application (pictured below) as part of their Pro Capture SDK for Windows, which can be downloaded from their website. And I've been creating an enhanced version of it, "NDIZender" (also pictured) which supports the various video processing functions that can be carried out by the Magewell hardware, like scaling, aspect ratio conversion, crop/zoom, proc-amp, image flip, deinterlacing. Multi-channel (up to 8-Ch) audio is supported, along with multiple instances of the app on the same PC for multi-channel NDI encoding.
zenvideo attached the following image(s):
NDISender-01.png (325kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
NDIZender-04.PNG (375kb) downloaded 20 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
sinc747 on 12/22/2016(UTC)
zenvideo  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:00:47 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
kane wrote:
NDI Connect (free) is limited to two channels per device. NewTek Connect Pro (paid) .... offers additional features ... (like ... additional audio channels).

Here's a bit of ***NDI TRIVIA*** - the (current) free version of NDI Connect also supports multiple audio channels if you're using a Magewell Pro Capture card. You only see meters and level controls for Ch 1+2 but it encodes up to 8 embedded audio channels none the less :)
BETech  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:07:02 PM(UTC)
BETech

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Some thoughts on a portable, low power, lean and mean NDI solution for those out of the way locations. Consider an Intel NUC6i5SYH microcomputer, with Core i5-6260U, 15 W power, Iris Graphics 540, up to 32 GB memory, HDMI and mDP, USB 3 (×4), Gigabit Ethernet and SSD drive. For SDI/HDMI input use an AJA U-Tap device with USB 3. For the operating system, install Windows 7 using the “Intel Windows 7 USB 3.0 Image Creator Tool”. Remove the non-useful applications and services bundled with Windows 7, set Windows 7 to AutoLogin, and set Newtek’s NDI Connect (free version) to auto-start. Use TeamViewer for Windows/Apple/Android via the WiFi to make any customizations while on location. Just add CAT6 cable ....

UserPostedImage
nethfel  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:19:51 PM(UTC)
nethfel

All: Thank you so much for your input. Right now I'm using the connect (free version) software from NewTek. It doesn't like my capture card (I kind of expected that as I'm looking to get them replaced with Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI) but I at least have a solution for my webcam that I needed kinda far from my workstation :)

pm wrote:
And last but not least to mention (we are in the vMix forum...): vMix can also do the conversion from camera feeds to NDI :-)

True, but that would require purchasing more vMix licenses, which as much as I think this is REALLY awesome software, I don't think I can get my bosses to forkover for full installations when we only need an NDI sender :(

BETech wrote:
Some thoughts on a portable, low power, lean and mean NDI solution for those out of the way locations. Consider an Intel NUC6i5SYH microcomputer, with Core i5-6260U, 15 W power, Iris Graphics 540, up to 32 GB memory, HDMI and mDP, USB 3 (×4), Gigabit Ethernet and SSD drive. For SDI/HDMI input use an AJA U-Tap device with USB 3. For the operating system, install Windows 7 using the “Intel Windows 7 USB 3.0 Image Creator Tool”. Remove the non-useful applications and services bundled with Windows 7, set Windows 7 to AutoLogin, and set Newtek’s NDI Connect (free version) to auto-start. Use TeamViewer for Windows/Apple/Android via the WiFi to make any customizations while on location. Just add CAT6 cable ....

I was actually going to ask if people thought that a nuc might be able to work as an NDI sender - that would make for a really convenient small footprint portable option that I might be able to get in the future (like next fiscal year future).
pm  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:39:16 PM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
@BETech
I like your proposal! Have you also tested CPU's like Core i3? Are they powerfull enough, what do you think? I know the system requirements for NDI, but probably it works also with cheaper CPU's.

Regards,
Patrick