logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nethfel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:41:43 PM(UTC)
nethfel

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I've been using the 720p30 @2.5mbps streaming which has worked well. I'd love to be able to do 1080p30 but I'm concerned that we just don't have the bandwidth on our network to handle it based on YouTubes suggested bitrate range. For non-fast moving content, has anyone tested various bitrates @1080p30 and found any sweet spots?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:15:20 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
YouTube's suggested bitrates for 1080p30 are between 3mbps-6mbps. One of the preset rates in the Quality drop-down of Streaming Settings in vMix is H264 1080p 3mbps AAC 128kbps. Try that one first if you are concerned about bandwidth issues. If your network can handle it, move up to the 1080 4.5mbps preset in vMix.

How much upload speed do you usually have on your network? How many users/viewers are using their phones to watch?
nethfel  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:20:21 PM(UTC)
nethfel

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
YouTube's suggested bitrates for 1080p30 are between 3mbps-6mbps. One of the preset rates in the Quality drop-down of Streaming Settings in vMix is H264 1080p 3mbps AAC 128kbps. Try that one first if you are concerned about bandwidth issues. If your network can handle it, move up to the 1080 4.5mbps preset in vMix.

How much upload speed do you usually have on your network? How many users/viewers are using their phones to watch?

We have 2 separate links, one is a 4Mb link the other 5Mb. I can shut down all student activity during the live stream we have coming up (only about an hour) and restrict network access so that primarily the streaming server will have the bandwidth. The only negative is that the 5Mb link is through a cable uplink so it's not as consistent as the 4Mb MetroE, but I'm concerned that there wouldn't be enough headroom (packet headers and footers, ACKs and so forth) on the 4Mb for a 3Mbps stream.
sinc747  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:51:59 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
General rule of thumb on headroom is 2X your bit rate. So if you are streaming at 4Mbps, you need a 8Mbps upload speed. That allows for fluctuations in the internet connection as well as other gremlins that sneak in and eat a bit of your bandwidth.

Having said all that, it's just a rule of thumb. People break rules all the time. I've streamed using just 1.5X headroom and gotten away with it. But I've also had streams that buffered for my viewers, too.

Hope this is helpful.

- Tom
thanks 2 users thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
kl_clips on 10/18/2017(UTC), Nazarene Israel on 12/18/2018(UTC)