logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nethfel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:00:21 AM(UTC)
nethfel

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I'm VERY new to vMix; I've done enough to be dangerous at this point ;)

So, my question is - I need to do a test event before our real event in February. I'm planning on using my laptop to do the stream, but I was hoping for some input to make sure it's enough to do what I need.

Ok so inputs need:

1 live feed, source 720p60, includes master audio feed
1 full screen title
1 lower thirds overlay with about 6 or 7 title entries

Output:
720p30 YouTube LiveStream 2.5mbps (possibly lower res and bitrate depending on what bandwidth I have available when I get to the location) FFMPEG encoder

System:
i7 6700HQ 2.6/35
16 gig DDR 4
NVidia GTX970m w/ 6gig

I haven't installed on this particular laptop yet, but before I did I was hoping for some input in terms of if this should work OK (the laptop is an existing one, I'm not buying one specific. The actual event in Feb will use a full desktop system with multiple live feeds, titles, video inputs, etc. - this test event is for me to really experience the software during a not-nearly as important event.)
Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:40:41 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
That laptop is more than enough to handle your needs.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
nethfel on 12/14/2016(UTC)
nethfel  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:53:50 AM(UTC)
nethfel

Awesome! I really didn't want to lug a desktop where we are going to do the test stream from!

Expanding on that question, how far do you think I could push it? I notice most of the references for how much hardware can do what is all based on desktop or at least a desktop gpu. Has anyone experimented with more powerful laptops to kind of see where they end up choking?
pm  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:10:53 PM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I have almost the same laptop configuration (same CPU and RAM, 970M 3GB, 1 HD & 2 SSD).

I can handle:
4 RTSP Inputs at 720p50 at 8mbit
about 10 Title Inputs
2 List inputs for video files
1 List input for audio files
1 Stinger Input
2 MultiViews
Replay for 4 Cameras at 50mbit
USB interface for audio
Recording at 720p50 in h264 at 8mbit
Streaming at 720p50 at 5mbit
Heavy usage of web api

Regards,
Patrick
thanks 1 user thanked pm for this useful post.
nethfel on 12/14/2016(UTC)
nethfel  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:37:39 PM(UTC)
nethfel

Wow, awesome! Maybe I won't have to re-figure for a desktop for the actual upcoming event? At that point I'll just be using 2-3 camera capture feeds (H.264 fast from capture devices), 1 720p wide angle web cam, 1 title, 1 video, 1 or 2 still graphics full screen non-overlay, 1 or 2 audio inputs (depends heavily still on the room we will use)

I don't have enough headroom on our outbound bandwidth to stream p60 which is why we are going with p30 for the "real" event.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 10:29:01 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ nethfel

As indicated, the laptop should be fine for what you outline, if you look over some of the "vMix Fun Time Live" shows, you will see that they often used Martin's "old" laptop (ASUS 750???) to do the show.
Not to be a pain, and I'm sure you've got it covered, but you don't mention how you are capturing your live feed, that's often the challenge with laptops (any computer really) is having appropriate external hardware to capture cameras.

Ice
nethfel  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 12:50:15 PM(UTC)
nethfel

IceStream wrote:
@ nethfel

As indicated, the laptop should be fine for what you outline, if you look over some of the "vMix Fun Time Live" shows, you will see that they often used Martin's "old" laptop (ASUS 750???) to do the show.
Not to be a pain, and I'm sure you've got it covered, but you don't mention how you are capturing your live feed, that's often the challenge with laptops (any computer really) is having appropriate external hardware to capture cameras.

Ice

You do make a good point on the question - I am using USB capture devices. The laptop I'm using (at least for the test run) has 3 USB 3.0 ports and a TB3 port for which I have a doc with gigabit ethernet and a USB 3.0 hub, so overall I think I'll be OK on ports and bandwidth for those ports (at least I know for the test with single camera, I'm waiting on another capture device to come in to be able to test 2 HDMI capture feeds + USB cams)