logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
James Bond  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 2:23:38 PM(UTC)
James Bond

Groups: Registered
Man

I recently build a new streaming computer with an ASUS x-99-A 3.1 USB motherboard (LGA 2011-V3 socket) along with an Intel i7-5820K processor, 32 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, etc. Was able to overclock the processor to 4.5ghz... worked very well for the first few months.

Our video set up includes a Sony HD prosumer camcorder, Blackmagic ATEM-4K with video output going to computer via a Blackmagic internal capture card. Audio input goes into a Behringer X18 digital mixer and into computer via USB. We did the separate audio routing because we found the BM capture card became overloaded trying to send audio and video through it... lots of cracking, popping, crashing, etc. That's another issue that we resolved.

Anyway, about a month ago I started having issues with the audio input to VMIX from the Behringer mixer USB - the computer stopped recognizing that the USB driver was installed after reboot. By checking Windows Sound menu, I found the recording input from the mixer was missing, as if it was not installed. But the computer still recognized the driver software being 'properly installed' when I tried to 'troubleshoot' it.

Long story short, I found several articles and YouTube videos about this same issue with X99 ASUS motherboards, suggesting that if any devices were plugged into the USB hub, that the computer would 'fail to post' correctly and the USB devices attached would not be recognized during boot-up.

Solution that worked: UNPLUG all USB hubs and use the motherboard mounted USB ports only! I moved the mixer USB cable to the back of the computer, using a 3.0 USB port and it booted/posted without any issues.

Long term solution: Need to replace motherboard with something other than ASUS as they continue to acknowledgment the problem but failed to provide any viable solution.

Hope this helps someone. I would NOT recommend ASUS motherboards!

Siroki  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 4:27:07 AM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
James Bond wrote:
I recently build a new streaming computer with an ASUS x-99-A 3.1 USB motherboard (LGA 2011-V3 socket) along with an Intel i7-5820K processor, 32 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, etc. Was able to overclock the processor to 4.5ghz... worked very well for the first few months.

Our video set up includes a Sony HD prosumer camcorder, Blackmagic ATEM-4K with video output going to computer via a Blackmagic internal capture card. Audio input goes into a Behringer X18 digital mixer and into computer via USB. We did the separate audio routing because we found the BM capture card became overloaded trying to send audio and video through it... lots of cracking, popping, crashing, etc. That's another issue that we resolved.

Anyway, about a month ago I started having issues with the audio input to VMIX from the Behringer mixer USB - the computer stopped recognizing that the USB driver was installed after reboot. By checking Windows Sound menu, I found the recording input from the mixer was missing, as if it was not installed. But the computer still recognized the driver software being 'properly installed' when I tried to 'troubleshoot' it.

Long story short, I found several articles and YouTube videos about this same issue with X99 ASUS motherboards, suggesting that if any devices were plugged into the USB hub, that the computer would 'fail to post' correctly and the USB devices attached would not be recognized during boot-up.

Solution that worked: UNPLUG all USB hubs and use the motherboard mounted USB ports only! I moved the mixer USB cable to the back of the computer, using a 3.0 USB port and it booted/posted without any issues.

Long term solution: Need to replace motherboard with something other than ASUS as they continue to acknowledgment the problem but failed to provide any viable solution.

Hope this helps someone. I would NOT recommend ASUS motherboards!

Hi
So you are combining ATEM and vMix over pcie capture card? What card do you use and how is it overloaded?
I was thinking also do combination of ATEM for camera input and over ATEM output send to vMix, in vMix add graphics or send vMix graphics output to ATEM and in ATEM output go to liveU portable streaming solution.

thx
James Bond  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 11:21:11 AM(UTC)
James Bond

Man

Hi
So you are combining ATEM and vMix over pcie capture card? What card do you use and how is it overloaded?
I was thinking also do combination of ATEM for camera input and over ATEM output send to vMix, in vMix add graphics or send vMix graphics output to ATEM and in ATEM output go to liveU portable streaming solution.

thx

I used the Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder with SD-HDI input. The 1080p video was very good quality, no issues with the video picture itself. The problem was with the audio that was being input into the ATEM via XLR cables from the digital mixer, that was then coming into the computer via the DeckLink Mini Recorder. The quality of the audio was not that good and we had intermittent problems with distortion, popping, cracking, basically audio drop-outs. Most of the time the audio overload was due to running some part of the audio gain structure too hot, but usually, it was experienced when there were multiple singers and musical instruments playing (church service).
admin  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 10, 2016 8:11:23 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
I've started a dedicated thread so we can keep X99 related discussion in one place:

http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=8456
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
James Bond on 12/11/2016(UTC)