logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Speegs  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 4:10:36 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello,

A friend I'm introducing to Vmix is soon doing a project trying to get footage from a racetrack. The friend has seen what we do at my venues with Vmix and is impressed. Seems a lot easier when the subject is not fast moving cars.

This is amature motorsport but low budgets. Wondering if anyone is doing this kind of work and live streaming from around a track and in car?

I'm thinking some 2.4 + 5Ghz AC Ubiquiti Wifi and Bird Dog NDI would be great, but Bird Dog is not ready yet so I guess that is out.

Interested to hear how others tackle something like this.

Looking at 4 camera setup (nothing tricky there), this wouldn't be too bad as zoom with be used quite a lot of the cameras.

The part I have no idea about is really using wireless and vmix, I tried my best not to use wireless because it's congested at venues I usually stream at and unreliable.

In car cameras would most likely be HDMI. I have a few GoPros I'll lend to the project. The gentleman I'm helping is a final cut guru, so more comfortable than I am at recorded video and editing.

I've been using Vmix for a long time, but I don't get much variety in what I do which is indoor, PTZ and Fixed Camera stuff of slow moving objects in crowded venues where wifi usually is usually too saturated with providing Internet to the masses to add full hd video into it.

Thanks,

Speegs
Maximus  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 7:41:19 AM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Teradek Bolt is a good option but not inexpensive. No reliable wireless solution is.
ask  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 8:28:03 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Speegs wrote:
Hello,

A friend I'm introducing to Vmix is soon doing a project trying to get footage from a racetrack. The friend has seen what we do at my venues with Vmix and is impressed. Seems a lot easier when the subject is not fast moving cars.

This is amature motorsport but low budgets. Wondering if anyone is doing this kind of work and live streaming from around a track and in car?

I'm thinking some 2.4 + 5Ghz AC Ubiquiti Wifi and Bird Dog NDI would be great, but Bird Dog is not ready yet so I guess that is out.

Interested to hear how others tackle something like this.

Looking at 4 camera setup (nothing tricky there), this wouldn't be too bad as zoom with be used quite a lot of the cameras.

The part I have no idea about is really using wireless and vmix, I tried my best not to use wireless because it's congested at venues I usually stream at and unreliable.

In car cameras would most likely be HDMI. I have a few GoPros I'll lend to the project. The gentleman I'm helping is a final cut guru, so more comfortable than I am at recorded video and editing.

I've been using Vmix for a long time, but I don't get much variety in what I do which is indoor, PTZ and Fixed Camera stuff of slow moving objects in crowded venues where wifi usually is usually too saturated with providing Internet to the masses to add full hd video into it.

Thanks,

Speegs

Speegs, send Nick Davidson a PM re. this. He livestreams car racing in the US.
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 1:28:29 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I've used Amimon Connex to get wireless HDMI from a boat at distances of over 1800ft. These units are made for drones, but I created a home made bracket to hold the unit and antennas.

I've also used it to do wireless video from the sideline of a football game.

Amimon also has a FPV unit with a camera that may work well for the cars.
thepelell  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 4:02:38 AM(UTC)
thepelell

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I broadcast motorsports from racetracks in Italy. I use uo to 9 cameras, all wireless with ip and 5.8ghz radios. You certainly can't use normal domestic wifi routers, you need at least ubiquiti airmax and mikrotik directional antennas, and a technician dedicated to keep everything under control.. it is not 100% reliable, but when there isn't enough budget to lay down 5+ miles of cables it's the only choice.
I still haven't found a good working solution for onboard footage. For SD resolution i tried a simple digital composite tx and rx and managed to get up to 1km range, but lost signal as soon as cars went out of line of sight. If you have enough 4g/lte coverage in your area you could use teradek bond or similar, but it is not cheap. At my latest race I tried with a smartphone in the car with skype, but quality was inconsistant and microsoft has really f**ed up that program and it is unreliable, it will auto answer a call if connection is lost, but sometimes the camera won't start, so it becomes useless.
If you find a cheap way to do it, let me know too :)