logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dcreative  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:30:20 PM(UTC)
dcreative

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

Been using vMix on a brought in setup for our junior hockey team streaming in crappy SD and have used the same setup for a tournament but now have a small budget to turn it into an HD stream for the tournament I help run.

Here's what we have going.

Main camera - Canon HD handicam. Not sure the exact model but does have HDMI out
Clock cam - run through cat 5 to SDI analog adapter to BNC connector

The tourney has given me a $1200 CDN budget to get a computer, vMix HD and a capture card so here's what I'm thinking will do.

Laptop:
Lenovo B50-80
Intel i5 2.2ghz
8gb DDR3 / 500 gb hd
intel 5500 video
Windows 10

Desktop:
Custom(ish) built
MSI A78M-E35 V2 motherboard w/ A8-7600 3.2ghz quad cpu
MSI R7 360 2gb video
8gb RAM (Kingston hyper fury) / 1tb 7200 HD
Windows 10

Capture card - BM Intensity or Engato HD60. Obviously lots of options for external USB 3.0 device here.

As I understand it, ideally I would want at least a 2gb video card, i7 chipset and SSD with 8gb ram. Both the above setups are what I've found locally pre-built but obviously a desktop is going to be way more fluid and future proof than a laptop especially with this year's budget. That said, for running 2 cameras is all that necessary for us? Really, we can drop the clock cam and either not have it on stream or have it as part of the overlay.

Any and all suggestions and help is appreciated.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:37:21 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
You should consider an NVidia graphics card as per vMix the vMix Supported Hardware page.

Also, if you are looking to future proof, a Intel Z170 chipset motherboard will give you more CPU upgrade options than an AMD FM2+. I'm not an AMD hater. The computer I edit video on is an AMD (FX 8 core), so is my everyday e-mail, word processing computer. However, my desktop vMix unit is an i7, and so are my laptop units. But if you can't go all the way to an i7, get a 4 core i5 that can best the speed of the AMD A8-7600.

Confirm with El Gato tech support that you can put 2 El Gato HD60 cards in the same system if you go that route for capture. Or maybe there's a vMix user already using two in the same system. Perhaps you can find a dual HDMI capture card on eBay that will be lower than retail.

Start with a SSD if you can, or at least have one as a 2nd drive.
dcreative  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:59:14 PM(UTC)
dcreative

Thanks for the insight. Nothing better than insight from experience to go with.

So ideally:
intel i7 mb / nvidia gfx / ssd / 8gb ram with HD and SD-SDI cap cards.

Can one get a dual card that takes both SDI and HDMI?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 12:38:01 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Take a look at the Black Magic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder if you go with a desktop unit.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink

You would need two of them. There's also the DeckLink Mini 4K. Though I don't use either, I know vMix users on this forum are using them.

If you go with a dual input card that's either HDMI or SDI, you can always get HDMI to SDI converters or SDI to HDMI converters depending on what's connectors are on your cameras. The converters seem to have a wide range in price and brands.

There's a first generation dual HD/SDI Magewell capture device, XI200DE-SDI Dual that's at a much lower price (Amazon) because of Magewell move to their current Pro Capture line. Tom Sinclair did a demo of it on his "Streaming Idiots" show about a year ago. You may want to contact him since he's a dealer for both Magewell and vMix.

http://easternshorebroadcasting.com/contact/

Long term, I think it's better to look at cards/devices with SDI connectors. Longer cable runs without extenders, more secure connectors, and less likely to get worn and loose as can happen with HDMI.

Used to do audio streaming of high school hockey, so send me a link when you start streaming your hockey tournament.

thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
dcreative on 12/1/2016(UTC)