logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grDancer  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 5:48:45 PM(UTC)
grDancer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi folks. I'm quite new to Vmix, but have done a couple livestreams of my band using it, and I'm hooked! I don't suppose anyone could answer a few questions?

1. I'm using a 3 camera setup and would like to be able to set up an automatic crossfade between 1, 2, and 3. Can that be done (i.e. so it switches on a timer, rather than manually).

2. I'd also like to create a picture-in-picture feed as another "source", so that we can e.g. have the main camera on the singer, but two smaller ones with the drummer and the guitarist (and ideally change between who gets the "big" picture)

3. I'd also like to add in a lyrics screen by using a powerpoint presentation. How do I go about setting that up?

Can you advise me which version of the software I'd need to get all of the above? I'm also using Vmix social to overlay social media comments...

Thanks in advance!
Cpilcher  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 5:58:05 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
1. Can be done using the playlist feature. You can specify your inputs and at what intervals to switch the the next input of your choice.

2. Can be done using the multiview settings for your main angle. Take the Main shot of your singer and edit the inputs multiview settings to include the other inputs (up to 5). you can reposition them anywhere on the screen and adjust the size of them independently.

3. You can bring in a Powerpoint presentation as an input. Although I have never used this feature to be much more help on this. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a better answer for this.

Good luck and search the forums, you will find lots of inspiration on how to solves these problems where you least expect it.

Chuck
thanks 1 user thanked Cpilcher for this useful post.
grDancer on 11/19/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 6:40:02 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ grDancer

Chuck is pretty much bang on.
On #1 for automation, it just takes a little bit of time to set up the "Playlist" how you want (hint: double click the 'Input' in the list to configure the timing)
On #2 for 'Special Effects', I would be inclined to add "Colour" (or blank) Inputs and set up MultiView overlays as desired.
On #3 for lyrics, I would be inclined to use a solid colour background in PowerPoint that you can key out easily and then for the advanced user, set-up a "Shortcut" that could be used with a MIDI foot pedal device of some sort to advance the slides as the song progresses (just a thought)
Best of luck with it and keep us all posted.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
grDancer on 11/19/2016(UTC)
grDancer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:24:53 AM(UTC)
grDancer

Thanks for those helpful responses!

Can I check - which version do I need to be running in order to do the above? I think I currently have the basic HD version.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:31:45 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ grDancer

You may have some limitations with the Basic HD version as you are only allowed 4 Inputs which makes Special Effects a bit more difficult to achieve but with some creative planning you might be able to accomplish some of your wishes, but to be fair, I am not all that familiar with what is and is not possible within the confines of vMix HD Basic.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
grDancer on 11/24/2016(UTC)
grDancer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 5:47:33 PM(UTC)
grDancer

Here's another question which might be a bit harder to achieve -supposing I want to crop an image in order to work a kind of slow digital pan/zoom to give an effect of a hand held camera rather than a static one. Is that possible within vmix?

And also - I've set up the playlist to automatically switch between inputs, but how do I make it gently crossfade rather than jump suddenly from one to the other?

Thanks again folks - really excited to learn this stuff, and appreciate your help!
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:00:40 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ grDancer

1. Not sure I fully understand the effect you want to achieve with a cropped image, but zooming IN or OUT of an image to preset coordinates should be possible with Shortcuts: "SetPanX", "SetPanY" and "SetZoom".
(this of course would be much easier with a Customized (from blank) "Virtual Set" and/or using multiple "Virtual Inputs", but this likely wont be possible in your situation with vMix HD Basic since your allocation of Inputs is already used up)
2. The parameters of the "Playlist" settings such as the "Transition" (as in a Fade instead of a Cut) are adjusted in the pop-up window that appears when you double click a particular "Input" in the Playlist window.
(also note the Duration of Transition is in Milliseconds)

Ice
Cpilcher  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 2:17:47 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
For the pan and zoom shots you could try this.

Create 2 virtual inputs based off of the shot you want to crop. Crop the video to your needs for shot 1 in the first virtual input. Crop the 2nd in the same way to create another point of interest. You can then use the Merge Transition to go from one shot to the other. I use this to "slide" from one talent to another. Merge will let you get creative with transitions and you can make multi view shots grow, shrink and move as if it is animated.

This example is for using a single camera to get the feel of 2 separate shots. But you can use any inputs you have in vMix.

Chuck
thanks 1 user thanked Cpilcher for this useful post.
grDancer on 4/6/2017(UTC)
grDancer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:31:47 PM(UTC)
grDancer

Cpilcher wrote:
For the pan and zoom shots you could try this.

Create 2 virtual inputs based off of the shot you want to crop. Crop the video to your needs for shot 1 in the first virtual input. Crop the 2nd in the same way to create another point of interest. You can then use the Merge Transition to go from one shot to the other. I use this to "slide" from one talent to another. Merge will let you get creative with transitions and you can make multi view shots grow, shrink and move as if it is animated.

This example is for using a single camera to get the feel of 2 separate shots. But you can use any inputs you have in vMix.

Chuck

I've got this working, and it looks really great. Thanks!
I can get it to work both with a slight zoom AND a slight pan. (Didn't try more extreme pans, as it would require a much more zoomed-in effect, but it's theoretically possible).
The effect feels very natural, like it is a very well operated manual camera, slowly moving from one side to the other, which is exactly the effect I'm looking for.

This is all with a view to live-streaming a musical group or soloist without active camera or vmix operators, but giving the effect of a more dynamic environment, with multiple angles to switch between. It's got powerpoint files for lyrics, and vmix social doing a social media feed, as well as multiple camera angles (which will now occasionally zoom or pan!) Now I need to programme a well-timed set list that looks natural and tasteful...

PS I upgraded the VMix software to get more inputs - worth it!
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:52:09 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

grDancer wrote:

PS I upgraded the VMix software to get more inputs - worth it!

Agreed, especially if you want to take advantage of vMix's power and special effects.
The base editions are great for simple needs, but the upgrades take you to a whole new level.

Ice
grDancer  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 11:00:24 AM(UTC)
grDancer

Appreciate all the advice folks... A couple new questions-

I'm a little stumped now how to make a playlist so that it does a "merge" between two inputs - I presumed that I would create the type of crossfade in the playlist itself, but it seems not. Is it something to do with the triggers? Can't seem to get it working.

*EDIT* -SOLVED
Just figured it out. I was trying to edit the playlist while it was running. Stopping it allowed me to edit the transitions. Now it works great.

Also - if I want to duplicate a multiview input that I've created, should I use "create virtual input" to do that, or is there a better/more correct way to do it?