logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mitchstein443  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:03:42 PM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I was running VMIX 16.x under vmware's vmplayer 11.x with zero problems. What I use it for is to stream a live channel off of my website and on my roku channel..

Anyway, I upgraded to VMIX 18.x and after 4-6 hours of playing videos from a list the streaming gets an error of video buffer full or near full OR it gets an error Audio Buffer Full or near full.

So I thought it might be because I need to upgrade vmplayer to 12.5 (the latest and greatest (eh, well latest).. Still get the error.. I also noticed at the smaetime the cpu will be 100% usage. as soon as I close vmix and reopen, problem goes away for 4-6 hours. Or if I restart the virtual machine same deal..

So I figured it might be because 18 is a beta, so I downloaded and installed vmix 17 (whatever is the latest) I get the same problem.. BUT if I go back to vmix 16, no problem..

Any Ideas? Other then that issue, I have used the website feature and the screen capture feature and they work fantastically. Only thing I noticed that is annoying but not horrible is that if I have youtube.com in the preview and I want to start up the video by clicking with the mouse on the play button on the site it will jump over to the now playing window. It will do this from any spot in the input windows.. It'd be nice if it captured the mouse and only sent it to the webpage and not to vmix itself..

UPDATE:

I fired up my old dualcore windows 7 machine installed vmix 18 on it and it does the same exact thing except alot sooner.. At somepoint when I can go a day dedicating my I7 machine to the project for a day or so I will try it on that one and see if the samething happens.. It appears to happen if I set the stream bit rate to 1meg or above..

The specs of the old win7 pc are:

6500 Intel Core2 Dual 3.2 GHZ (NOT OVERCLOCKED)
8 gigs ram
Win7 Enterprise all updates/service packs yadayada
NO antivirus (So as to not slow down the pc)
Oh and a 2gig NVIDIA dual montior videocard don't remember the chipset but 4 years ago cost 350$ so not that slow.

I use this pc as a backup to my I7 machine to run soreson squeeze it is about 70% as fast as my I7 probably cause of the great video card
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:36:36 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4162 time(s) in 1495 post(s)
Hi,

I have moved this to a new thread as this is not specifically an 18 issue.
The buffer full error can mean one of the following:

1. Network upload speed to streaming provider is not fast enough
2. CPU is unable to keep up with the encoding
3. Graphics card is unable to keep up with the encoding

To check 1, run a test on speedtest.net
For 2, check Task Manager to make sure CPU is never above 70% for streaming
For 3, check the Render Time in vMix to make sure it doesnt exceed 20ms at most.

As you pointed out that it only happens for 1Mbps or above it may be a internet speed issue.
The reason for the difference between 16 and 17 could be to do with some settings changes or buffer size changes
between releases that while small, could mean the difference between a solid stream 99% of the time and one that runs out of buffer size after a few hours of running up against an upload speed limit.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

mitchstein443  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 10:20:53 PM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

I have moved this to a new thread as this is not specifically an 18 issue.
The buffer full error can mean one of the following:

1. Network upload speed to streaming provider is not fast enough
2. CPU is unable to keep up with the encoding
3. Graphics card is unable to keep up with the encoding

To check 1, run a test on speedtest.net
For 2, check Task Manager to make sure CPU is never above 70% for streaming
For 3, check the Render Time in vMix to make sure it doesnt exceed 20ms at most.

As you pointed out that it only happens for 1Mbps or above it may be a internet speed issue.
The reason for the difference between 16 and 17 could be to do with some settings changes or buffer size changes
between releases that while small, could mean the difference between a solid stream 99% of the time and one that runs out of buffer size after a few hours of running up against an upload speed limit.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

OR (as in my case)

It's not a vmix or hardware error at all. (Remember I said it all worked with vmix 16, first thing I did was match all setting exactly)

It turned out to be that the windows update bug hit me hard. It's a common win7 problem that saturates the cpu 100% (even i7's) there is a microsoft supplied hotfix which I applied a long time ago, BUT it comes back randomly but often. I had forgotten because it has been at least one year since I used a win7 machine.

This time instead of applying the microsoft temp fix, I just disable autoupdates seeing the computer is dedicated to vmix there's no reason to auto update anything, thats just looking for trouble..

The way I figured it out is that I kept detailed logs on the physical core2 duo 6500 processor computer for a long time (since my first vmix experience) and the machine was always dedicated to vmix. when I realized, I was using 100% of my processor and inthe past it never went much above 75%..

Everything is standard definition, so no need for an i7 for this channel.

I'm now experimenting with 4kHD on my i7, eventually I'll compile all the data and post the results.. The goal is to mix 8 - 4k cams through usb connections plus titles and video files maybe web source now that it is available and do it for under 2,500 not including cams and cables...