logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dnavarrojr  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 10:16:09 AM(UTC)
dnavarrojr

Groups: Registered

Any tips on connecting a couple of USB web cams plugged into a PC in the network as inputs to vMix on a separate machine on the same network?

We have a PC in our studio and I want to plus a couple of Microsoft webcams into it. And access those cameras from a PC in the control room as inputs.

I've successfully used both cameras when vMix is run from the PC in the studio, but not sure how to access them from a remote machine.

doggy  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 10:49:53 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
On seperate machine use Newtek Connect to get the USB web cams that are plugged into it.
On studio machine in vMix choose them as NDI/DesktopCapture
dnavarrojr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 6:13:44 PM(UTC)
dnavarrojr

doggy wrote:
On seperate machine use Newtek Connect to get the USB web cams that are plugged into it.
On studio machine in vMix choose them as NDI/DesktopCapture

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight when the studio is empty.
dnavarrojr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:34:59 PM(UTC)
dnavarrojr

Installed NewTek Connect (Free Edition) and it only sees one of the two web cams plugged into the computer. While the Microsoft LifeCam software sees both cameras.
kane  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:24:01 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Were both USB webcams connected before you started up NDI Connect? It only looks for devices when the software starts.

I've not had two of the same webcam connected to test, but I've had my laptop built in camera and a Logitech C920 both operating at the same time with NDI Connect.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
dnavarrojr  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:53:24 PM(UTC)
dnavarrojr

kane wrote:
Were both USB webcams connected before you started up NDI Connect? It only looks for devices when the software starts up.

I've not had two of the same webcam connected to test, but I've had my laptop built in camera and a Logitech C920 both operating at the same time with NDI Connect.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Yes, both are connected. And the Microsoft software sees both. And vMix sees them both.

If I unplug one, NewTek sees it, doesn't matter which one it is. But when they are both plugged in, it only sees one at a time.
dnavarrojr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2016 12:44:37 AM(UTC)
dnavarrojr

Okay, so I have a LifeCam Cinema USB 2.0 and a LifeCam Studio USB 3.0 connected to a single PC.

The Microsoft LifeCam software sees both cameras and allows me to switch between them.

vMix also sees both cameras and allows me to use both simultaneously. But I need to use the cameras as NDI sources to vMix on another computer in our control room.

But while NewTek Connect (free version) sees both cameras, it only allows me to connect/view video from one of them at a time. All drivers have been updated. Latest version of all software.

The workaround... Download NewTek Tools and use the VLC Plugin.

I open each camera in VLC and I can see them both as NDI sources in vMix across the network.

Only problem is NewTek Connect has no delay on the video while the VLC method has a 1.7 second delay. However, I believe that vMix will allow me to introduce an artificial delay in audio to match things up.

Big test will be during the morning news.
dnavarrojr  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:44:11 PM(UTC)
dnavarrojr

Ultimately, using two cameras remotely did not work. I think it was the machine I had both the cameras connected to. Using VLC as a "middle man" worked for about 10 to 15 minutes and then one of the cameras would freeze and you had to restart VLC.

I think what I am going to do next is try finding a couple of older 720p web cameras (we're only transmitting at 720p) that are supported by Windows 7 and see if I can get both working.

For now, I moved the vMix PC into the studio and we just connect both cameras to that machine and run our live sessions with that.
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:59:30 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
You'll have much better luck using webcams that are compression capable in hardware, like the Logitech C920, C930e. You can set them to use MJPEG and won't have any issue with USB bus bandwidth or burden on the host.

You can connect them to a computer using a simple vMix licence and send them to your other system over NDI.

The C920 is a little cheaper now that the C922 has launched. There doesn't seem to be any real advantage to the C922 for most applications.
Cpilcher  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:21:59 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I can confirm that 3 Logitech c930's can be brought in to vMix without problems.