logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
puruzio  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:14:29 AM(UTC)
puruzio

Groups: Registered

I work in the media team at my church where we currently use Powerpoint to display lyrics of the worship songs on the screen. I always wanted to be able to have a video background instead of the static background image. I tried adding video clips to the Powerpoint slides, but the problem is that there is a significant delay switching between slides and more importantly there is no way to let the video continue playing in the background when switching to another slide as the new clip attached to the next slide will start playing.

Then I found vMix. I tried vMix by having a video clip playing and overlaying Powerpoint slides. It looks promising, but doesn't solve my problem because
1. Powerpoint slides have its own non-tranparent background (even if I leave it blank)
2. There is no easy way to switch to a specific slide number in vMix. (I can't set fixed time interval as I have to follow the worship leader as he goes back and forth between different parts of the song.)

This function of having selective pages of texts overlaid on top of a video footage seems to be use quite commonly, so I wonder if this is something that can be done using vMix's existing functionalities.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Jason
jonhall  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:15:24 PM(UTC)
jonhall

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Jason,
I can think of two ways that you could do this with vMix (both a bit labour intensive):

1) At my church we create image files with the lyrics, with a separate folder of PNGs for each song. This allows us to use the slideshow feature ("Photos" tab in vMix's Add Input window) to load them up. The upside of this approach is that it's very easy to switch to any slide in the current song (there's a slider and next/previous buttons). You can probably just export your PowerPoint slides as image files. This might not fix your transparency problem; if they still have a black background you'll have to use an image editing program to get rid of it (hopefully in batch mode). Of course, you could also use the Colour Key tool in vMix to achieve the same results, but setting that up each time you add a folder of slides is a pain. Once you have a transparent background, load up your background video clip in the Active window and the slides in the Preview window (so you can easily control them) and use an overlay to get the slides onto the video.

2) Another way would be to use the TextHD title (in the "Title" tab of the Add Input window). This would allow you to paste the lyrics from a text file, and the background is already transparent. However, to have multiple slides you would need to set up several TextHD title inputs, paste in the text for each, and overlay them one-by-one as needed.

Maybe someone else knows an easier way of doing it...

Jonathan
thanks 1 user thanked jonhall for this useful post.
puruzio on 1/31/2013(UTC)
Egriswold  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:32:25 PM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Why not run the PP on a host computer then use the screen capture utility that comes with VMix to capture remote desktop running on your network. Great for PowerPoint and Skype.
Audio Capture support for Skype and other videoconferencing software. with this you can size, position even key the graphics. I have used this utility and it works great.
thanks 1 user thanked Egriswold for this useful post.
puruzio on 1/31/2013(UTC)
doggy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:59:10 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Based on Jonathan's suggestion #2 using TextHD title and myself searching for more practical ways of updating titles I just made a little Visual Basic Express exe that could just do that.
It lets you quickly open txt files and displays its contents in the title . Before one instructs to display it one can edit the text or just create one . it has options to choose the input title's number and line . As this is my first attempt at writing with VB and visual Express it is very basic and I have no idea how to make it available to try out if interested or post image of interface here directly.

Guy